Range ammo advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range ammo advice

Range ammo advice

I pick-up my new Taurus PT 145 .45 Cal on Monday. I would appreciate any advice as to what kind of ammo to purchase. I've never had a .45 before, so I'll have to depend on your advice. I guess I'm looking for something on the less pricey side, but that will go bang everytime and not leave the pistol a dirty mess when finished. I would also appreciate the names of some of the "bargin" sites. Thanks in advance.

AmmoEngine: 9mm / 9x19mm Parabellum (Luger), Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

For range ammo, I usually buy whatever is the cheapest. I prefer brass casing over steel though.

Walmart has Winchester White box for $32 or $34 per 100. Price may be different in your location.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

I reload plated 230gr. ball with Unique powder.

I will run my Dillon 550 enough to make 1000-2000 rounds of practice ammo for the year.

-Doc

6. For just banging on the range, I'll use reloads, inexpensive ammo (well, it used to exist) like Wolf or some such.

But for carry, I like 230 grain Hydra Shok or else 230 gr. Golden Saber or Winchester SXT in the same weight.

If I had a pistol shorter than 4 inches, I'd probably go to lighter bullets, to keep velocity up where expansion is more reliable.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Winchester White Box i have available at my local Wally World and even my local Meijer. Probably about the best cheap stuff you can run through there.

Avoid Wolf and Blazer. Also avoid any aluminum cases.

AMMO Brothers 230gr reloads have been performing well for me at about 32.00 per 100.
    Glock Armorer, Remington 870 Armorer
    UTAH: 1 Florida:1 NH:1 Nevada:0 California:1 PA:1

My PT145 likes everything I put through it. I don't care for steel cased ammo either, and prefer brass cases since most of my range ammo is my own reloads. Just my opinion here, but I'd stick with 230 grain ammunition. I just think the gun is designed with that in mind.
    Enjoy your new pistola!
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howsweet-it-iz View Post
    I pick-up my new Taurus PT 145 .45 Cal on Monday. I would appreciate any advice as to what kind of ammo to purchase. I've never had a .45 before, so I'll have to depend on your advice. I guess I'm looking for something on the less pricey side, but that will go bang everytime and not leave the pistol a dirty mess when finished. I would also appreciate the names of some of the "bargin" sites. Thanks in advance.
    I like the "Win Clean" ammo by Winchester. The flame coming out of the muzzle looks blue in color, but it sure cuts down on the clean up at the end of the day. It is a little more expensive than normal loads though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast