I don't get it
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't get it

Question I don't get it

Here in southeast Michigan, in a city called Royal Oak, there was some heated discussion about open carry at an upcoming Labor Day festival called Arts, Beats and Eats. I have a current Michigan cpl and have carried almost for the last 20 years. Why would anyone want to give away the tactical advantage of advertising that you have a weapon? Further, unless you have had specific training in gun retention tactics, why would a person risk having some fool try and take away your weapon and use it on you or someone else nearby? The whole idea of concealed carry is not to give away that you are armed. I just don't get it.

I get it.

World English Dictionary
    exhibitionism (ˌɛksɪˈbɪʃəˌnɪzəm)

n
    1. a compulsive desire to attract attention to oneself, esp by absurd or exaggerated behaviour or boasting

I do, too

For some, it is a matter of not having a CCW/CWP/LTCH/whatever the jurisdiction calls it and wanting to be able to protect themselves. Some people don't see the need/want to 'ask permission' for a constitutional right.
    N38 19' 56.52" W85 45' 8.56"
    Semper Gumby
    Ethics are what we do when no one else is looking.

Mr. GLOCK, your observations are right on!! While I don't argue with those who want to open carry, I see no benefit to doing so and lots of risks. For ME, I ONLY conceal carry and don't want anyone to know. I want the advantage of surprise if needed and don't want the worry of some idiot grabbing for my gun. Frankly I'm a little wary of those who want to parade around with a gun strapped on for everyone to see, but don't want to deny their right to do so if legal in their area. I live in Wyoming where open carry is legal everywhere, but just don't see anyone doing so. On the other hand, concealed permit requests have skyrocketed here (we are a "Will Issue" state) so I think most people living here feel the same as I do.

I thinkthe main issue here is, the Mi. Open Carry movement is concerned that if Royal Oak gets their way, and Open Carry is prohibited during this festival, what's to stop them from banning firearms at certain events like this. I belive Indiana has a state law that bans hanguns during the State Fair.

Indiana State Fair

Yep, it's one of the enumerated forbidden carry zones, although during the rest of the year it's OK. Kentucky is kind of strange, too. It's forbidden in the buildings on the fairgounds in Louisville, but they hold one of the region's biggest gunshows (Great Eastern) there about every 2-3 months, similar to the Indy 1500. Try to parse that out...
    N38 19' 56.52" W85 45' 8.56"
    Semper Gumby
    Ethics are what we do when no one else is looking.

Here is one better. When I first applied for a cpl it was a general permit--you could carry anywhere and anytime. That includes, bars, churches, schools, sports arenas, etc. But the permit was very difficult to obtain. When Michigan "revised" their concealed carry laws, guess what? Our great legislators in their infinite wisdom, made it easier to obtain a ccw but now they imposed restrictions for gun free zones. Guess where these "gun free zones" are? Yup, you guessed it, schools, churches, hospitals, sports arenas, bars. All the places that I could once carry concealed. Our legislators might as well put up a sign as Ted Nugent so apply put it: "victims inside." It was indirect gun control. By the way, the NRA did little if anything to fight these changes in the laws. So now we have an almost useless set of concealed carry laws.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Glock View Post
    Here in southeast Michigan, in a city called Royal Oak, there was some heated discussion about open carry at an upcoming Labor Day festival called Arts, Beats and Eats. I have a current Michigan cpl and have carried almost for the last 20 years. Why would anyone want to give away the tactical advantage of advertising that you have a weapon? Further, unless you have had specific training in gun retention tactics, why would a person risk having some fool try and take away your weapon and use it on you or someone else nearby? The whole idea of concealed carry is not to give away that you are armed. I just don't get it.
    I am with you on this one. If one wanted to carry out in the open for hunting or something like that where you would be better served to have it straped to your chest, then fine. Just my personal preference though to carry concealed. I would rather people not know I have a firearm on me. I think the overwhelming choice, by the general public, to carry is what brought about the CCW times we live in now. The down side is that the anti-gun crowd still get their stick in by passing rules about where one can carry. I feel as though if you are permitted, you should be able to carry anyplace where you have the legal right to be. (Except a courtroom) Again just my personal opinion, I know some will think I'm all wet on this.

[QUOTE=handgonnetoter;154187]I am with you on this one. If one wanted to carry out in the open for hunting or something like that where you would be better served to have it straped to your chest, then fine. Just my personal preference though to carry concealed. I would rather people not know I have a firearm on me. I think the overwhelming choice, by the general public, to carry is what brought about the CCW times we live in now. The down side is that the anti-gun crowd still get their stick in by passing rules about where one can carry. I feel as though if you are permitted, you should be able to carry anyplace where you have the legal right to be. (Except a courtroom) Again just my personal opinion, I know some will think I'm all wet on this.[/QUOTE

IN Minnesota there are few no carry zones. Court house, School. Private Property can post signs to prohibit firearms. You are allowed to CC, or OC unless they ask you to leave your firearm behind. If you decide to stay, they call the cops and if you further the issue, you are issued a $25. ticket. Thats right, twenty-five dollars. Nobody has seen my CC in those places with the signs.

OC while legal, is very out of place in the large cities. I don't know about the rural areas.

If I see someone OC in a place like Walmart, I might follow, and observe for a time. Like I said, it is way out of place here. All classes I have attended, the instructors frown on OC.

I OC while hunting, and even the drive to the hunting area. If I go into a gas station, etc, I put on a jacket to cover up the firearm. It is obvious to even a casual observer, it's deer season, I have a orange shirt, wool pants, and boots on. A firearm is near.

A pet peeve of mine is if someone harvests a deer, then straps it naked to the top of their vehicle uncovered. I cover my deer with a tarp laying in the bed of my pickup.
    Why not cover it up to protect from road debris? There are several non-hunters. Why offend them? They know those hooves sticking out of the tarp belong to a deer. Why put it in their faces? Treat that whitetail with some respect. Don't be a hillbilly.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    World English Dictionary
    exhibitionism (ˌɛksɪˈbɪʃəˌnɪzəm)

n
    1. a compulsive desire to attract attention to oneself, esp by absurd or exaggerated behaviour or boasting
    from what I've seen of you so far, you seem to be quite self aware.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast