Walther PPS or Glock for CC - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS or Glock for CC

Quote Originally Posted by davisway View Post
    Hi all, I currently carry a Ruger SP101 .357 as my CC firearm. I like it because it is stainless and pretty durable, as someone put it "build like a Sherman tank". The .357 Mag has good stopping power too. The down side: The weight is a bit much.. 26 oz not loaded and also it is only a 5 shot and with the Hogue grips, it sticks out a bit..

I have been looking at several options to replace as my normal CC. The Walther PPS .40 cal and the Glock 27 .40 cal are the two that I have my eye on. I would prefer something around a .357 or 40 cal but size is a big issue. I would like to keep it sub compact. What are your thoughts & suggestions/recommendations???
    Thanks!
    Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.
    When your choosing a pistol to carry concealed, there are a few things to consider.
    You need to decide how you are going to conceal it, what caliber you prefer, and weather you are going to carry it loaded or just with a full magazine.
    - First. Size will be an issue when it comes to figuring out where to carry it. If your going to carry it IWB, a large gun can be cumbersome and more than likely, you will end up not carrying it with you. Another option is to carry in an ankle holster, and again size will be an issue. A gun too large will just look strange on your ankle.
    -Second is choosing a caliber. Don't get a .40 or .45 just so you can feel good about carrying around a hand cannon all day. If it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it, but chances are, it will be too bulky and too heavy and you will leave it home most of the time. I carry a glock 19 9mm, and sometimes it gets a little on the heavy side. And anyone who tells you that a 9mm is underpowered does not know what they are talking about. Besides, most .40's will hold around 9 rounds where as I can hold 15 in one mag.
    -Third, and very important. If you plan on carrying your pistol loaded (with a round in the chamber) then you may want to re-think you thoughts on a glock. I have been carrying my Glock 19 for around 8 years, and still refuse to carry it loaded unless it is in a very safe holster wich for me is a hard shell blackhawk OWB holster. Without an "active" external safety, it is extremely dangerous to carry it loaded because it only takes one little thing hooking the trigger, and you end up with a bullet in your leg, back or foot. NOT WORTH IT!!!
    Just some things to think about. Hope this helped.

Thank you everyone for the information you gave. After looking carefully at the Glock, Kahr and the Walther I finally decided on the Walther PPS. Here in MA you can't get the new gen Glocks which is a bummer. All you can get is the older tech, while still very good, it is older tech. The Walther is about 1" thich in either the 9 or .40 and having fired both, I opted for the .40. The Glock is somewhat wider and since I wear it IWB most of the time, thinness is important. I like the craftsmanship of the Walther, it seems to be made very well. The mag release is a bit different and I am still getting used to it but I know I will at some point. Mostly I carry it with a High Noon IWB holster which I like very well and when I have cargo ppocket shorts on I use a Nemesis cargo pocket holster which also works very well for me. So thank you all again for the good words of wisdom! Be safe!

Glock!!!

Enough said. Although my sidearm of choice is the G22 in 40 S&W.

5. Go to a good gun store where they have a wide selection of guns and holsters. Let the pros help guide you as to fit and function. Our local gun shop will let you test fire any number of guns and even supply the ammo. After the selection try on an assortment of holsters for the type of carry you perfer.

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    Go to a good gun store where they have a wide selection of guns and holsters. Let the pros help guide you as to fit and function. Our local gun shop will let you test fire any number of guns and even supply the ammo. After the selection try on an assortment of holsters for the type of carry you perfer.
    This is the best suggestion yet, however in responce to your question, the diff between the G27 and G36, with out the little mag extention the 27 is a bit more compact and has ten shots, the 36 has 7, I have both and switch them out as main carry, but do lean toward the 27, my wife carrys a 26, and I have a 21 for a car gun, all are loaded with a good brand hollow point

7. I had a Glock 26 that I loved for my CC but I recently bought a Smith and Wesson M&P .40c. It is WONDERFUL. It feels 10x better than the Glock in my hands. I shoot it much better, and it is the same size as the Glock. It also has a 10 round mag. I was considering the 27 but shot this one and it was no contest. Just a though, I dunno if you already ruled that gun out.

Smile Glock pistols

I used to carry a Taurus PT-101 .40 caliber. I am a big man and wanted a pistol to fit my hand and large girth without feeling like I was carrying a howitzer. It has worked quite well for me but I just acquired a Glock 23 in 40 caliber and immediately fell in love with it. I still need a magazine with an extension to fit my hand but this gun is great. I carry it in my waistband holster and hardly know it is there. I have a difficult time with smaller pistols due to my hand size but this one is something I will not tire of carrying. The .40 caliber is more than adequate for any need I may have. Wish I had bought one sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by glockslinger19 View Post
    Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.
    When your choosing a pistol to carry concealed, there are a few things to consider.
    You need to decide how you are going to conceal it, what caliber you prefer, and weather you are going to carry it loaded or just with a full magazine.
    - First. Size will be an issue when it comes to figuring out where to carry it. If your going to carry it IWB, a large gun can be cumbersome and more than likely, you will end up not carrying it with you. Another option is to carry in an ankle holster, and again size will be an issue. A gun too large will just look strange on your ankle.
    -Second is choosing a caliber. Don't get a .40 or .45 just so you can feel good about carrying around a hand cannon all day. If it makes you feel more comfortable then go for it, but chances are, it will be too bulky and too heavy and you will leave it home most of the time. I carry a glock 19 9mm, and sometimes it gets a little on the heavy side. And anyone who tells you that a 9mm is underpowered does not know what they are talking about. Besides, most .40's will hold around 9 rounds where as I can hold 15 in one mag.
    -Third, and very important. If you plan on carrying your pistol loaded (with a round in the chamber) then you may want to re-think you thoughts on a glock. I have been carrying my Glock 19 for around 8 years, and still refuse to carry it loaded unless it is in a very safe holster wich for me is a hard shell blackhawk OWB holster. Without an "active" external safety, it is extremely dangerous to carry it loaded because it only takes one little thing hooking the trigger, and you end up with a bullet in your leg, back or foot. NOT WORTH IT!!!
    Just some things to think about. Hope this helped.
    All good stuff except the part about NOT carrying one in the chamber. Holy smokes, Slinger, that's just crazy talk. You absolutely will not have time to rack the slide in an emergency. Might as well carry a large stapler.

Just my opinion.

Why would one NOT carry a round in the chamber?

I don't understand.

Smile Glock: Loaded or Unloaded Carry

Since I have just bought my first Glock, I was interested in Glockslinger 19's comments. The reason I waited so long to buy a Glock is that I was afraid of the trigger safety. I was afraid that by carrying loaded, it might accidently be fired. I didn't want to lose a leg, cheek or any other little extremity. Checking the trigger pull before buying the gun, I discovered that the trigger needs a good pull to fire. My trigger is rather stiff right now but may loosen up with more use. I think to begin with I will carry with the chamber loaded because when I feel the need to pull my gun, I want it to fire right away. Hopefully everything will work out. I am looking into a good holster in which to carry the gun on my hip as well as inside the waist band. One that will protect the trigger in everyday situations.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast