Walther PPS or Glock for CC - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS or Glock for CC

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    My trigger is rather stiff right now but may loosen up with more use.
    Glock triggers are really consistent, so what you have is probably what you will have a year from now. There are aftermarket trigger items to make them stiffer. I installed a lighter trigger and love it.

Glock 19's run perfectly fine stock, but being a tiinkerer, I did the following to mine:

- Glock factory 3.5 lb trigger connector
    - Glock factory extended Magazine Release, (Glock Part #1981)
    - Glock factory Extended slide release (Glock Part #7496)
    - Glock factory underwater spring cups, for gator fights here in the Deep South

3. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Since I have just bought my first Glock, I was interested in Glockslinger 19's comments. The reason I waited so long to buy a Glock is that I was afraid of the trigger safety. I was afraid that by carrying loaded, it might accidently be fired. I didn't want to lose a leg, cheek or any other little extremity. Checking the trigger pull before buying the gun, I discovered that the trigger needs a good pull to fire. My trigger is rather stiff right now but may loosen up with more use. I think to begin with I will carry with the chamber loaded because when I feel the need to pull my gun, I want it to fire right away. Hopefully everything will work out. I am looking into a good holster in which to carry the gun on my hip as well as inside the waist band. One that will protect the trigger in everyday situations.
    In my opinion as a carry gun a "stiff" trigger is a good thing for obvious reasons. BEFORE you carry with one in the chamber I would recommend just cocking it with out one in the chamber and carry it like that for awhile that way you will gain confidence in carrying with one in the chamber and know what will and won't set it off. Also, once you find the holster you will use practice drawing the gun with it cocked and one NOT in the chamber so you know that when you draw you won't set it off unintentionally. Be safe!

I have both a S&W M&P 9 full size and a HK USP9 Compact that I rotate for my carry weapon. Since I got them they both have been carried with a round in the chamber and in the case of the HK safety off. I carry both IWB and never gave the guns a second thought. The "Israeli draw" (Drawing the gun, pulling the slide, and firing for those who don't know) is too complex for me. The only thing I look for in a Holster is one that covers the trigger guard. If this is there, I don't worry about the gun firing. So much so that every now and then my HK sits in its holster in Single Action Mode with the hammer pulled back (I use snap caps to "PLAY" with my gun at home to work on drawing and trigger control etc etc) because when I load it I don't use the decocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    - Glock factory underwater spring cups, for gator fights here in the Deep South
    Those should only be installed in the G17.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Those should only be installed in the G17.
    I appreciate the heads up, but Glock themselves put out a notice that these can be run on the G19 (any 9mm Glock). I think it's on their website now, but since I already read it, too lazy to reference it before the first cup of coffee. I'll update later.

EDIT: Found it on Glock.com (LINK HERE http://www.glock.com/english/options_springcups.htm):

"GLOCK SPRING CUPS
    The GLOCK spring cups position the firing pin spring and are easily and quickly replaced because of its two-part half shell shape. Two different versions are available:

STANDARD
    Standard equipment,
    sturdy design

MARITIME
    Optimum water permeability for secure firing even under water!
    Only approved for GLOCK pistols in caliber 9x19."

7. I'd personally elect to continue carrying the SP-101 over the Glock or PPS.

If you're dead set on those two options, I would choose the Glock. The PPS is too pricey for what you get, the magazines are expensive to the point of stupidity, and I dislike the magazine release.

If you're open to other calibers, maybe consider the Kel-Tec PF9. I'm not a 9mm guy, but if I were going to be shopping for a subcompact semi, that's one that would be in my top 3. You can't argue with the price either ;)

Quote Originally Posted by lima View Post
    I'd personally elect to continue carrying the SP-101 over the Glock or PPS.

If you're dead set on those two options, I would choose the Glock. The PPS is too pricey for what you get, the magazines are expensive to the point of stupidity, and I dislike the magazine release.

If you're open to other calibers, maybe consider the Kel-Tec PF9. I'm not a 9mm guy, but if I were going to be shopping for a subcompact semi, that's one that would be in my top 3. You can't argue with the price either ;)
    +1 on PF-9. Very light and very inexpensive. Thinnest and lightest 9mm I know of. Rohrbaugh is very slightly smaller (but not thinner), and you could buy three PF9s and a bunch of extra mags for the price of a Rohrbaugh.

Marine Spring Cups

My info may be out of date. I was under the impresion that the G34 and G17L should not be fired underwater like the G17 can be, due to the longer colum of water that the bullet must push against before leaving the barrel. Also note do not use hollowpoint ammo for underwater firing as the bullet will expand in the barrell and get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    My info may be out of date. I was under the impresion that the G34 and G17L should not be fired underwater like the G17 can be, due to the longer colum of water that the bullet must push against before leaving the barrel. Also note do not use hollowpoint ammo for underwater firing as the bullet will expand in the barrell and get stuck.
    You can shoot most handguns AND rifles underwater, but not all safely.

The spring cups were developed by Glock to allow air out quickly underwater and water out quickly after being underwater. Approved by Glock for all 9 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    You can shoot most handguns AND rifles underwater, but not all safely.

The spring cups were developed by Glock to allow air out quickly underwater and water out quickly after being underwater. Approved by Glock for all 9 mm.
    Here is a nice writeup that includes Glock's early waiver letter to the special forces groups using these cups. If you read the letter carefully, you can see where the confusion came from regarding use "only in the Glock 17". Glock specified that only Glock 17s with specific serial numbers could be used. The way this is worded gives the impression that ONLY Glock 17s can be used with the spring cups. But as you can see in the first paragraph, the spring cups are approved for use in both the 17 and the 19. When this was written the 26 did not exist. :-)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast