Flying to NM then driving to AZ & CA

Thread: Flying to NM then driving to AZ & CA

Flying to NM then driving to AZ & CA

Thought I better run this by some knowledgeable folks.

Flying into NM from SC, then driving through AZ to CA. Will be driving all over CA, then flying home to SC. I have a CWP from SC. Here are my assumptions of what I can do with my handgun:

1. Permit recognized in NM and AZ, just need to follow their laws on Concealed Carry.
    2. In CA, if I keep the weapon unloaded and locked in a secure container in my car, I can drive all over the state with no issues (can't have it in car while on school property, etc.)
    3. Put it unloaded and locked in a secure container in checked luggage, declare it to Delta, and fly it home.

NOTE: Taking my Glock 19 and will make sure and bring only 10-round mags.

Does that cover the basics?

Many thanks,
    Islander

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Thought I better run this by some knowledgeable folks.

Flying into NM from SC, then driving through AZ to CA. Will be driving all over CA, then flying home to SC. I have a CWP from SC. Here are my assumptions of what I can do with my handgun:

1. Permit recognized in NM and AZ, just need to follow their laws on Concealed Carry.
    2. In CA, if I keep the weapon unloaded and locked in a secure container in my car, I can drive all over the state with no issues (can't have it in car while on school property, etc.)
    3. Put it unloaded and locked in a secure container in checked luggage, declare it to Delta, and fly it home.

NOTE: Taking my Glock 19 and will make sure and bring only 10-round mags.

Does that cover the basics?

Many thanks,
    Islander
    Very nearly. In CA the ammunition must be in a separate locked box from the gun. Neither box may be accessible to the driver, i.e., in the trunk or behind the seat in a pickup. I just got back from a similar trip, NM to CA and back.

Stop by my shop on your way through if you're taking I-40 from Albuquerque. I''m open Tuesday through Saturday.

Loeffler's Guns, Etc.
    825 W. Santa Fe Ave.
    Grants, NM 87020

David Loeffler

505 287 4003

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    Very nearly. In CA the ammunition must be in a separate locked box from the gun. Neither box may be accessible to the driver, i.e., in the trunk or behind the seat in a pickup. I just got back from a similar trip, NM to CA and back.

Stop by my shop on your way through if you're taking I-40 from Albuquerque. I''m open Tuesday through Saturday.

Loeffler's Guns, Etc.
    825 W. Santa Fe Ave.
    Grants, NM 87020

David Loeffler

505 287 4003
    Hi David,

Will definitely come see you. Need to stop up by the caldera in the Sangre de Cristos to visit my dad's ashes, then off your way.

Regarding CA law, I must respectufully disagree. You can keep a loaded magazine in the same locked box as your handgun with no issues, as long as the gun is not loaded and the magazine is not in the gun. CaliforniaOpenCarry has a nice PDF that sites both ordinances and case law. Also, CA is "unloaded open carry" in most places, vehicles included. I don't plan on doing tha.

Best,
    Islander

Very nearly. In CA the ammunition must be in a separate locked box from the gun.
    Not only does Islander respectfully disagree, but so does the California Highway Patrol:
    CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Not only does Islander respectfully disagree, but so does the California Highway Patrol:
    CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol
    My information is old, when I lived there. I seem to remember that my impression was the result of a court case and that proximity of ammunition to a firearm, loaded magazine near a gun, made the gun "loaded" when in a vehicle. This was supposedly for the protection of the police. Sorry for the confusion.

My information is old, when I lived there. I seem to remember that my impression was the result of a court case and that proximity of ammunition to a firearm, loaded magazine near a gun, made the gun "loaded" when in a vehicle. This was supposedly for the protection of the police. Sorry for the confusion.
    No worries!

We've thankfully had a very clear court case that confirms that ammo can even be touching the weapon and it not be considered "loaded". Still, in some cases (gang crime, Govenor's property, etc.), ammo on the person makes the weapon loaded.

(gang crime, Govenor's property)
    Redundant statements, aren't they?

No worries!

We've thankfully had a very clear court case that confirms that ammo can even be touching the weapon and it not be considered "loaded". Still, in some cases (gang crime, Govenor's property, etc.), ammo on the person makes the weapon loaded.
    This discussion, the conditions in CA, are a big reason I left the Peace Loving Peoples' Democratic Republic. Thanks for your patience with me. Take care