Flying to NM then driving to AZ & CA
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Flying to NM then driving to AZ & CA

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    457

    Flying to NM then driving to AZ & CA

    Thought I better run this by some knowledgeable folks.

    Flying into NM from SC, then driving through AZ to CA. Will be driving all over CA, then flying home to SC. I have a CWP from SC. Here are my assumptions of what I can do with my handgun:

    1. Permit recognized in NM and AZ, just need to follow their laws on Concealed Carry.
    2. In CA, if I keep the weapon unloaded and locked in a secure container in my car, I can drive all over the state with no issues (can't have it in car while on school property, etc.)
    3. Put it unloaded and locked in a secure container in checked luggage, declare it to Delta, and fly it home.

    NOTE: Taking my Glock 19 and will make sure and bring only 10-round mags.

    Does that cover the basics?

    Many thanks,
    Islander

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Thought I better run this by some knowledgeable folks.

    Flying into NM from SC, then driving through AZ to CA. Will be driving all over CA, then flying home to SC. I have a CWP from SC. Here are my assumptions of what I can do with my handgun:

    1. Permit recognized in NM and AZ, just need to follow their laws on Concealed Carry.
    2. In CA, if I keep the weapon unloaded and locked in a secure container in my car, I can drive all over the state with no issues (can't have it in car while on school property, etc.)
    3. Put it unloaded and locked in a secure container in checked luggage, declare it to Delta, and fly it home.

    NOTE: Taking my Glock 19 and will make sure and bring only 10-round mags.

    Does that cover the basics?

    Many thanks,
    Islander
    Very nearly. In CA the ammunition must be in a separate locked box from the gun. Neither box may be accessible to the driver, i.e., in the trunk or behind the seat in a pickup. I just got back from a similar trip, NM to CA and back.

    Stop by my shop on your way through if you're taking I-40 from Albuquerque. I''m open Tuesday through Saturday.

    Loeffler's Guns, Etc.
    825 W. Santa Fe Ave.
    Grants, NM 87020

    David Loeffler

    505 287 4003

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    Very nearly. In CA the ammunition must be in a separate locked box from the gun. Neither box may be accessible to the driver, i.e., in the trunk or behind the seat in a pickup. I just got back from a similar trip, NM to CA and back.

    Stop by my shop on your way through if you're taking I-40 from Albuquerque. I''m open Tuesday through Saturday.

    Loeffler's Guns, Etc.
    825 W. Santa Fe Ave.
    Grants, NM 87020

    David Loeffler

    505 287 4003
    Hi David,

    Will definitely come see you. Need to stop up by the caldera in the Sangre de Cristos to visit my dad's ashes, then off your way.

    Regarding CA law, I must respectufully disagree. You can keep a loaded magazine in the same locked box as your handgun with no issues, as long as the gun is not loaded and the magazine is not in the gun. CaliforniaOpenCarry has a nice PDF that sites both ordinances and case law. Also, CA is "unloaded open carry" in most places, vehicles included. I don't plan on doing tha.

    Best,
    Islander

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    Very nearly. In CA the ammunition must be in a separate locked box from the gun.
    Not only does Islander respectfully disagree, but so does the California Highway Patrol:
    CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol

    I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

    California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

    If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Not only does Islander respectfully disagree, but so does the California Highway Patrol:
    CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol
    My information is old, when I lived there. I seem to remember that my impression was the result of a court case and that proximity of ammunition to a firearm, loaded magazine near a gun, made the gun "loaded" when in a vehicle. This was supposedly for the protection of the police. Sorry for the confusion.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    My information is old, when I lived there. I seem to remember that my impression was the result of a court case and that proximity of ammunition to a firearm, loaded magazine near a gun, made the gun "loaded" when in a vehicle. This was supposedly for the protection of the police. Sorry for the confusion.
    No worries!

    We've thankfully had a very clear court case that confirms that ammo can even be touching the weapon and it not be considered "loaded". Still, in some cases (gang crime, Govenor's property, etc.), ammo on the person makes the weapon loaded.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    (gang crime, Govenor's property)
    Redundant statements, aren't they?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    No worries!

    We've thankfully had a very clear court case that confirms that ammo can even be touching the weapon and it not be considered "loaded". Still, in some cases (gang crime, Govenor's property, etc.), ammo on the person makes the weapon loaded.
    This discussion, the conditions in CA, are a big reason I left the Peace Loving Peoples' Democratic Republic. Thanks for your patience with me. Take care

Similar Threads

  1. List Of California Gun Ranges
    By lukem in forum California Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
  2. List Of Arizona Gun Ranges
    By lukem in forum Arizona Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 10:41 AM
  3. List Of New Mexico Gun Stores
    By lukem in forum New Mexico Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 12:41 PM
  4. My wife found this for us
    By festus in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast