CC in vehicle while on vacation

Thread: CC in vehicle while on vacation

1. CC in vehicle while on vacation

This info may be on the site somewhere, but if it is sorry I could not find it.
    I live in Indiana and have a handgun permit. I am going to North Dakota on vacation
    and I know they will honor my permit. But to get there I have to travel through
    Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota., which I know do NOT honor Indiana permits.
    So can I legally travel through those states if my handgun is disassembeled and in the trunk,
    or am I out of luck and cant take it with me at all?
    If I cant take it what about a small rifle...anybody know the law on rifles in cars
    in those states?
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    PB

3. since its vacation... leave early and go around those states. if thats not an option then yes... traveling thru IL you will need to have it locked away in the trunk and not in the same case as ammo. they both must be seperate. i normally have firearm locked in trunk and ammo up front in glove box when transporting in IL. havent been to WI or MN so i cant speak for them.

Gun and ammo locked away. Separate is not necessary....but some advise it "to be on the safe side".

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    since its vacation... leave early and go around those states. if thats not an option then yes... traveling thru IL you will need to have it locked away in the trunk and not in the same case as ammo. they both must be seperate. i normally have firearm locked in trunk and ammo up front in glove box when transporting in IL. havent been to WI or MN so i cant speak for them.
    Putting the ammo in the glovebox violates the provision of FOPA, quoted above. I would rather have the gun and the ammo locked in the trunk and just not consent to any LEO to access the locked trunk. That way if local LEO chooses to violate your rights and search your locked trunk without reasonable cause or a search warrant, you will have Federal law on your side. If you have the ammo in the glovebox, that protection goes out the window.

Ammo in the glovebox is a bad idea for another reason, cop stops you and asks you for registration/insurance which is likely also in the glovebox, cop sees the ammo in the glovebox (or anywhere else in the passenger compartment for that matter) and now has a reason to ask you about weapons in the car.

It's best just to go with Federal law and put that stuff in the trunk. No need for disassembly or separation.

6. CC In Vehicle

While separation may not be required, some states require the gun and mag to be unloaded. I know Oregon requires this, not sure about the states you are travelling through.

Also, I believe there is a distinction between traveling through, and "hey, while we're here let's visit a person/place." and different laws may apply from the state.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePeeler View Post
    While separation may not be required, some states require the gun and mag to be unloaded. I know Oregon requires this, not sure about the states you are travelling through.

Also, I believe there is a distinction between traveling through, and "hey, while we're here let's visit a person/place." and different laws may apply from the state.
    Oh good grief! There is no requirement in Oregon law for magazines to be unloaded. Where does this stuff come from?

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380. As used in ORS 166.360 to 166.380, unless the context requires otherwise:

(3) “Loaded firearm” means:

(a) A breech-loading firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in or attached to the firearm including but not limited to, in a chamber, magazine or clip which is attached to the firearm.

(b) A muzzle-loading firearm which is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball, shot or projectile in the barrel or cylinder.

and the definition above really only applies to firearms carried in public buildings anyway. You won't find a definition of unloaded for vehicle transportation. If there are no rounds in the gun, the gun is unloaded. There is no requirement to unload magazines not attached to or in the gun. I'll bet the source of this misinformation was 1. CCW instructor, 2. FFL dealer or 3. Cop.