48 states

Thread: 48 states

1. 48 states

I would appreciate some info on carry, if i'm in an 18 wheeler and have no trunk to put locked gun in. I live in Va., and travel most states. Thanks in advanced for all helping to keep gun rights to normal working people.

Quote Originally Posted by zzztrapper View Post
    I would appreciate some info on carry, if i'm in an 18 wheeler and have no trunk to put locked gun in. I live in Va., and travel most states. Thanks in advanced for all helping to keep gun rights to normal working people.
    From what I recall on Federal law, if you go through a state where open carry is not legal or where your permit is invalid, you can still keep the gun with you (someone figured out about people who drive pickups and hatchbacks so they actually came up with a solution). Unload the weapon, and lock it in a container away from you (perhaps keep it in the back of the cab where you can't easily get it). Keep the ammunition locked in the same container, but not in the weapon (though you will get several responses here saying the ammunition should be in the same container while others say the ammunition should be locked in a separate container).

You might also want to look into getting a UT and FL permit depending on which states you plan on traveling.

First, FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act) only provides protection if the gun you are transporting is legal at your origin AND your destination during interstate travel. So, if your destination was a state like New York, you are SOL. If your destination where your gun is legal, FOPA specifies that the gun must be in a locked exterior compartment if the vehicle is so equipped. I find it difficult to believe there is no lockable exterior compartment on any 18 wheeler.

Finally, FOPA is just an option to protect you traveling through "gun ugly" states if you choose to utilize it. Your other option is to obey the state law of each state as you pass through that state.

United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    And, as stated above, ammo gets locked up with the gun in order to comply with FOPA.

just a thought but if you are driving an 18 wheeler from point A to drop off stuff at point B C D and E and pick a load up or just return home to point A would your origin and destination be the same?
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

Quote Originally Posted by marionandjohn View Post
    just a thought but if you are driving an 18 wheeler from point A to drop off stuff at point B C D and E and pick a load up or just return home to point A would your origin and destination be the same?
    no. you destination would be B, C, D and E. When you go on vacation your destination is your vacation place(s), not "home".

To the OP....sidebox. Just make sure you're legal where you are going.

7. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    no. you destination would be B, C, D and E.
    I interpreted that to mean five separate trips. A to B, B to C, C to D, D to E, and E to A.

so there are many ways to interpret it but when you think about it you go on vacation and when does your trip end? when you get there or when you get home which IS you final destination. I am military and when we fill out our travel voucher it ALWAYS starts and stops with HOME. the only exception to that is when we move. even our orders say Homes station to point X and back.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton