Citizen Encounter - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citizen Encounter

Just my $.02. I think the best situation to strive for using common sense is "Don't ask. Don't tell!"
    Nobody knows nuttin'. Nothing to complain about or report. Might be simplistic but sure avoids controversy and trouble.

Parking lots are for parking, that's pretty much the extent of it. Rarely anything else on the level goes on, so caution is certainly advised. Had it been at night I may approach this level of paranoia, but around noon, not so much, especially if other customers were around.

Methinks the OP is a little too quick to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Just my $.02. I think the best situation to strive for using common sense is "Don't ask. Don't tell!"
    Nobody knows nuttin'. Nothing to complain about or report. Might be simplistic but sure avoids controversy and trouble.
    LOL that was just ruled unconstitutional! I have to ask why did you go for your weapon with out first telling him to stop? Did he have anything in his hands/was he doing anything with his hands that would lead you to believe he was intent on doing you harm? Who knows they could have been up to no good but from all the information you posted it sounds like a family down on it's luck. Trying to sell stuff to earn some extra money. But again only you would know for sure because only you where there.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Make that 4 cents I'd have to say the same thing

The time to decide how to act in such a situation is before it happens. True, under stress the plans made earlier may be totally forgotten, but the plans will never be remembered if they are never made.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Parking lots are for parking, that's pretty much the extent of it. Rarely anything else on the level goes on, so caution is certainly advised. Had it been at night I may approach this level of paranoia, but around noon, not so much, especially if other customers were around.

Methinks the OP is a little too quick to reach.
    The 2 crime stories i posted happened in broad daylight. The lady killed aprox 3 miles from here in the Suncoast Parking lot was shot and robbed in a busy parking lot around the same time of day. Perps here strike at ANY time. I cannot emphasize how aware we need to be at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Z0_RICK View Post
    The 2 crime stories i posted happened in broad daylight. The lady killed aprox 3 miles from here in the Suncoast Parking lot was shot and robbed in a busy parking lot around the same time of day. Perps here strike at ANY time. I cannot emphasize how aware we need to be at all times.
    I think it is impossible to say how we would react in this same situation. Maybe Zo_RICK felt a vibe that triggered his instincts. Combine this with the recent local violence, and "reaching" could be considered the appropriate move, maybe even saved his life.

Of course the other simple mistakes were caused by a lack of any past experience and perhaps a lack of thinking it out in advance. I'll try to learn something from this post and think about what I would, should, and will do if something like this happens to me.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Z0_RICK View Post
    I've got no problem at all with the Z0-RICK reaching for the gun. It's all that "You want me to show you my permit" stuff afterward that I find to be

I cant say I would react different if I were CCing (sometimes I OC)at the time. Had a male 6ft tall (I am about 5'7") jump out of a car fairly close to me in a hurried manner while other passengers were getting my attention that being said simply putting my hand near my weapon and turning as stated was with in reason in my eyes.

Kinda reminds me of what happened to my wife a few months ago she was putting my daughter (about 9 months at the time) in her car seat outside the docs office. she did not have her weapon on her, but while just stepping back and about to close the door a male approached her fairly quickly. she put her left hand behind her left hip and right hand up palm facing him and very assertively said "STOP" the guy jumped a little and said sorry to startle you but do you have the time. innocent or not he got the point.

The difference she never admitted to having or not having a weapon and did not offer up any identification. I feel the police should have been informed of this incident on a non-emergency number or at the least the store management so they could prevent future customers from being harassed or possibly robbed or what ever they were doing there. I have been to vegas and I could see where someone looking for a quick score of money for gambling debt or drugs would do this. Also armed citizens are not the only ones getting smarter if I were a bad guy I would think the average Joe's guard would be less during the day then at night just my 2cents.

Z0 nice first post but an introduction would be nice and welcome to the forum.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    You want me to show you my permit" stuff...
    Right. Only other people with guns AND badges get to see my permit, and only after they ask.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast