Alabama CCL but having to travel to OHIO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama CCL but having to travel to OHIO

1. Thumbs down Alabama CCL but having to travel to OHIO

I have a Alabama CCL and i am having to go to Ohio for a few months for work. I know Ohio does not honor Alabama CCL. How can i legally transport my firearm to my hotel room I want to keep it with me in my hotel. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

This will get you started. Not sure where Ohio posts its actual laws:

"It is unlawful for a person without a concealed handgun license to carry a handgun concealed on his or her person. Exempt from this prohibition are officers, agents, and employees of a state agency or the federal government or law enforcement officers authorized and acting in the scope of their employment. State law does
    not prohibit the open carrying of firearms except in certain locations, but a person should exercise caution when carrying a firearm in public."

NRA-ILA ::

FL or UT license

To legally carry a concealed handgun (or a loaded handgun anywhere in a vehicle) in Ohio, I suggest getting a Florida and/or Utah permit.

Ohio's gun laws are generally located in Chapter 2923 of the Ohio Revised Code; Ohio's preempotion law is O.R.C. § 9.68. For more Ohio-specific information, check out the Buckeye Firearms Association and Ohioans for Concealed Carry.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

5. Smile Thank you

I appreciate all of the information. Thanks so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by theohiostate77 View Post
    I appreciate all of the information. Thanks so much for your help.
    TN and KY honor the Alabama permit, so no issues traveling through there. In Ohio, not only the gun must be unloaded, but the ammo must be unloaded from the magazines as well, while in the vehicle. You can then either put the gun in a closed case or in the trunk of the car. When you get to Ohio, I would do what I did when flying, if you don't have a pistol case, get a $5.00 case, put the gun in the case, an empty magazine or two in there, and a box of 20 rounds of SD ammo in there.

Once you get out of the vehicle, you can load the gun up and keep it at the ready so long as you don't conceal it on your person.

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

This is what you have to watch out for:
    (5)”Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

7. NavyLT You Can Open Carry In Ohio without License?

Thanks for your information. So you can open carry in Ohio without any type of license??

Quote Originally Posted by theohiostate77 View Post
    Thanks for your information. So you can open carry in Ohio without any type of license??
    Yes. (Outside a vehicle)

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Ohio

Ohio

Summary
    Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft's veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio's "home rule" localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.

There is more info on the link and in the Ohio section of opencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by WVCDL View Post
    To legally carry a concealed handgun (or a loaded handgun anywhere in a vehicle) in Ohio, I suggest getting a Florida and/or Utah permit.

Recently discover that Arizona is a new option for non-residents. Has almost exactly the same reciprocity map as FL...including OH.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Recently discover that Arizona is a new option for non-residents. Has almost exactly the same reciprocity map as FL...including OH.
    Nice. At a quick glance it looks like FL and AZ are pretty even:

PERMIT LENGTH YEARS: FL = 7, AZ = 5
    PERMIT COST: AZ = $60, FL = $75 + $42 fingerprint fee. You can get prints for $5, but you have to do it in FL (not feasible for most of us)
    STATES COVERED: FL gives you two more state (AZ and WA), whereas AZ does not cover FL or WA. Since I carry a resident SC (which covers FL), FL has no advantage for state coverage except adding WA.
    TRAINING REQUIRED: FL requires a training certificate. I did not see anywhere in the law where I could just submit a copy of my CWP. AZ, as shown below, accepts all sorts of training, including a DD214.
    PRINTS REQUIRED: Both require fingerprints. FL says that you must use their FP cards. They will mail them to you free. But their cards are no different than standard cards. If your fingerprinting facility can print on your card, you use a regular card as long as they add the correct FL information. I have a copy of that at the office and will post in another thread on Monday. AZ also need FP cards. So they are even there.

For training requirements, speed of issue, and cost, AZ seems the much better deal. For length of permit and state coverage, FL has an advantage. Fingerprinting requirements are the same, EXCEPT for the huge $42 fee. I went with FL, but AZ is a great deal.

AZ law showing that they will accept a current/expired CWP from another state or a DD214 counts for training, no matter how old it is.

SUBSECTION N: Arizona Revised Statue - Arizona Department of Public Safety

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

I received the AZ app packet yesterday...2 days after requesting it. Simple 1 page (2 sided) application, They send 2 print cards. Their info is printed on them as well and you must submit both. But FL "requires" the prints be done by LEO...AZ has no such requirement.

I know someone is going to bring it up it so I'll mention it now. At one point AZ DID required the necessary training be done INSIDE the borders of AZ. That changed as of July 29, 2010 when the Constitutional Carry bill took effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast