CCW Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Question

CCW Question

Hello, all...I am new to this site and forum, but I have some questions on CCW and am having trouble locating the info I need in onine searches.

I am currently writing a research paper on CCW. My hypothesis is:

"States that have concealed carry permits are less likely to have a high rate of gun-related felonies."

To validate that statement, I need to find stats, by state, based on pre-CCW and post-CCW law.

I can find info on differnt states, even on their CCW laws, but I can't find a lot that tells me when the CCW law was passed in a particular state. I have managed to get info on about 10 states so far...and am drawing a blank on the others.

At any rate, I thought a CCW forum might be a good place to find a wealth of info on this topic...although it will be hard to cite. :) Any/all input would be appreciated greatly.

Thx

Pick up a copy of More Guns, Less Crime, by John Lott.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Pick up a copy of More Guns, Less Crime, by John Lott.
    Great minds, great minds. This is THE source for the data you are looking for. It is heavily footnoted and peer reviewed.

Thank you...I'll look for it.

South Carolina got a shall issue permit system in place in 1996.

You might find this helpful as well:

Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

Thank you G50AE...I'll add that date to my list. I'm plugging away at it one state at a time, it seems. LOL

Also, thank you, NavyLT. I'll check out the site.
    Just an aside...My father was in the Navy for 20 years...Navel Intelligence...and my brother served aboard a fast-attack nuclear sub as a seal-trained diver. Both my father and brother went into writing in later life. My brother just published a book through Harper-Collins called [I]Red November[I]. It talks about the submarine cold war between Russia and US. He interviewed a number of submariners, both American and Russian...as well as documenting his own espionage missions. Very interesting reading, if you're into that kind of history. This is his website, if you're interested in knowing more: Welcome to the Official Website of Bestselling Author

Thx again for the research help.

You might ask the NRA. They have tons of data and will be sympathetic to your thesis. But to really do a good job, you should start with an open mind and decide what your thesis is after you see the data. If you don't, you will be accused of doing what the anti's do.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    You might ask the NRA. They have tons of data and will be sympathetic to your thesis. But to really do a good job, you should start with an open mind and decide what your thesis is after you see the data. If you don't, you will be accused of doing what the anti's do.
    Yea, I second that one.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post

We had to come up with what the instructor called a thesis statement, and from that, research to prove it right or wrong, citing documentation and research for the final conclusion. We were shown several samples of statements we might use (poli sci class), and I saw one that said the exact opposite of what I chose. It said that in states which had passed CCW, violent crime rates increased. A few years ago, when Nebraska passed CCW, I was on a police forum and opened a thread asking what law enforcement thought about CCW. In my mind, it seemed that it would be frightening to think that anyone could carry, and police would have no way of really knowing. I felt it might be more dangerous. Surprisingly enough--at least to me--they were almost unanimously in favor of CCW. They felt the citizens who took the time to train for and secure their CCW, were responsible, law-abiding citizens, and that criminals will get guns either way. Based on that discussion, I actually changed my perspective, but then again, I went into the discussion with an open mind, just wanting to know their thoughts and feelings. So, because of that background, I thought I would counter the statement that said CCW states had higher crime rates post-CCW laws, and research to see what the facts panned out to be. So, to answer your suggestion...I can't research first. I have to make a stand, then prove it right or wrong. So, I'm making a stand...lol...based on what the law enforcement officers told me in that forum discussion two years ago.

And, ty for the suggestion. I will check out the NRA site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast