Against CPL??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Against CPL??

Arrow Against CPL??

I have my Michigan CPL, and so do many people I work with. This one guy inparticular, a former police officer, and now security guard, has his CPL as well...I talk about having my CPL here and there, and what kind of firearms I have, and many people get into this discussion. I havent ever had to draw, but I kind of rehearse discussions with my co workers.
    The thing I dont understand is how one person can be against having CPLs. He calls me an irresponsible kid, [Im 23 years old, in the National Guard, and Security Guard, Unarmed] he says its pointless to carry a firearm. I dont see how you can have a CPL but be against everyone carrying. He says Im a loose cannon, yet, never had to draw my firearm.

I take pride in exercising my right to carry, I take responsibility for my actions, and for my saftey as well as others around me. I believe if I feel threatened, and believe my life is in danger, I should be able to defend myself.
    I carry everywhere I go, and this guy says I shouldnt have to...I just tell him, you never know when youll need your firearm...But, aparently, I am a "cowboy"

Am I wrong for carrying everywhere I go? Am I wrong for carrying at all? I dont think so. Its not like I flaunt my pistol to the world, noone ever knows I carry it. 90% of the time, friends that come over after being at the mall or what ever with me are suprised when they see me take the pistol off [in the holster of course,] theyre suprised that Id been walking with the for hours and theyd never even noticed.

Anyways, your thoughts?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

some people...

...will always say it isn't necessary. Like you I carry 99.999-100% of the time and places I can legally do so, and not risk my job. (my employer has a policy against carrying while representing them unless it's a requirement of your duties) I put a little time and effort into educating these people, but if through logic and a few examples I'm not getting traction, I let it go. I have one friend who is very pro 2A, likes that there are people who carry, but will never do so him self. He'll never own a firearm. He thinks it's silly when I make arguments and try to debate these issues. He tells me, all you have to say is that it's the law, no argument. I think he's right to a point. I mean it is the law. A debate with someone who is against guns and or carrying can sometimes take you down to their level of intellect. On the other hand there are some who get what I'm saying, and maybe start to come around. I don't tell many people I carry. I don't arm/disarm my self in view of anyone generally speaking. People who know me know I'm licensed to carry and do so. But I don't point it out or inform anyone when I do. It's "concealed" carry, and I think keeping it such puts peoples minds at ease.

This guy is either right, wrong, or somewhere in the middle. You know what is true. You do say "many people get in the discussion" when you talk about concealed carry. Maybe you talk too much?

Again, you know what is true. Many people like SPAM. You can't explain things like that.

My thoughts, I would rather have it and never use it than not have it and need it!!

I have to question how he and others know you have it? Descretion if paramount. Basically, no body knows I have a CCW. I don't brag about it and I don't show it to anybody(not that you do). Really, unless your flashing it around it is no one elses business(not that you are). I know people who have to let everyone no they have a CCW. To me that puts them at a higher risk. One example is: If someone has a grudge against you, they can claim you pulled it or threatened them with it. Yes, you may win the trial,but it will cost you. Also if you ever stop off at the local watering hole, you have to store it or you can get busted, plus while stored it is open to theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    I have my Michigan CPL, and so do many people I work with. This one guy inparticular, a former police officer, and now security guard, has his CPL as well...I talk about having my CPL here and there, and what kind of firearms I have, and many people get into this discussion. I havent ever had to draw, but I kind of rehearse discussions with my co workers.
    The thing I dont understand is how one person can be against having CPLs. He calls me an irresponsible kid, [Im 23 years old, in the National Guard, and Security Guard, Unarmed] he says its pointless to carry a firearm. I dont see how you can have a CPL but be against everyone carrying. He says Im a loose cannon, yet, never had to draw my firearm.

I take pride in exercising my right to carry, I take responsibility for my actions, and for my saftey as well as others around me. I believe if I feel threatened, and believe my life is in danger, I should be able to defend myself.
    I carry everywhere I go, and this guy says I shouldnt have to...I just tell him, you never know when youll need your firearm...But, aparently, I am a "cowboy"

Am I wrong for carrying everywhere I go? Am I wrong for carrying at all? I dont think so. Its not like I flaunt my pistol to the world, noone ever knows I carry it. 90% of the time, friends that come over after being at the mall or what ever with me are suprised when they see me take the pistol off [in the holster of course,] theyre suprised that Id been walking with the for hours and theyd never even noticed.

Anyways, your thoughts?
    I am with MPOHIO: discretion is paramount.

Carrying concealed is a PERSONAL choice (it works for some, and not for others), and concealing something typically means you don't want anyone to know about it. I think it is better to keep it to yourself unless someone ASKS you to discuss guns, CPLs, etc.

Quietly carrying concealed is merely a means to an end (having the firearm at your immediate disposal at all times). If you need to let others know that you are armed, then the purposes of carrying a weapon may not merely be self-defense, and may call into question exactly why you are armed (trying to impress someone? trying to make yourself appear more powerful? trying to be a cowboy?)

BTW, I carry all of the time, and nobody knows it. My husband (who knows I am carrying concealed) even forgets that I have it. I don't feel that it is anyone else's business but my own, and I also believe that the element of surprise (because it is concealed) will serve me well should I find myself in a self-defense situation.

Do what you will, but bear in mind that labeling and name-calling may be the result of a lack of discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by mpohio View Post
    My thoughts, I would rather have it and never use it than not have it and need it!!

I have to question how he and others know you have it? Descretion if paramount. Basically, no body knows I have a CCW. I don't brag about it and I don't show it to anybody(not that you do). Really, unless your flashing it around it is no one elses business(not that you are). I know people who have to let everyone no they have a CCW. To me that puts them at a higher risk. One example is: If someone has a grudge against you, they can claim you pulled it or threatened them with it. Yes, you may win the trial,but it will cost you. Also if you ever stop off at the local watering hole, you have to store it or you can get busted, plus while stored it is open to theft.
    +1. Nobody knows I am carrying except sometimes my wife, and that is only because she sees me get my weapon. Close personal friends know I have a permit, but I don't mention when I am carrying.

Keep it under wraps

Concealed carry means "concealed" carry for me. I have a few freinds who also know that I have my license but they will not know if I'm carrying wich is 90% of the time. Keep it to your self, no one else needs to know.

9. I carry ALL the time and NO one knows I do. It is no ones business and a friend today could very well be an enemy tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by thebrez1 View Post
    I carry ALL the time and NO one knows I do. It is no ones business and a friend today could very well be an enemy tomorrow.
    Exactly!
    As much as you're enthusiastic about shooting & weapons & even 2nd amendment rights, you should NOT be "enthusiastic" about concealed carry.
    Like I tell my 16 year old son who is now a 2nd degree black belt...No one needs to know, until you NEED them to know.

11. You are neither wrong for carrying nor are you wrong for exercizing your god given right as a citizen.
    I exercize my right every day,all day an will do so untill the time comes that i can no longer operate my weapon
    saftely.
    As for those who decide not to exercize their rights will wish they had if/when the time comes that their life
    is in danger.
    Funny how the they want someone with a gun (law enforcement)when trouble arises.And end up a victim because they wouldent take responsibility for their own safety or the safety of their family.
    Stupidity Should Hurt.....Immensely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast