Semi-Auto or Revolver for Concealed Carry? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Semi-Auto or Revolver for Concealed Carry?

Welcome aboard! All the posts that say carry what you're comfortable with, apply. You need to know your weapon is available, but you don't want it rubbing or chafing, and you don't wnat it hanging out in plain view.

I carry a Glock 27 .40 on my hip when I wear a jacket, and a .380 in a wallet when I'm not. I know I can get to the Glock faster, but I also have to be sure it remains unseen, which I can't do midsummer in Texas!

Revolvers have proven over time to be *very* reliable, but I haven't had a failure pulling out my semis and pulling the trigger (so far always at the range). Yes, I carry one in the pipe - I don't want to have to worry about racking the action when milliseconds count and whether I will have both hands available (there are several stories around about people trying to keep a carjacker's gun out of their face while they are trying to get to their own!). That's not a worry with a revolver, though they are more bulky.

What suits you?

3. I have a wheel gun but you have to remember there is close to a 10 pound trigger pull in a da revolver in my m&p40 c I have a 3.5# trigger pull there is a big difference there and in the heat of the moment and before that big bang you don't want a long hard trigger pull remember us cc are not killers where not trained to kill so there is gonna be alot running through your head if that moment ever comes up practice alot and get used what ever your gonna carry because once you pull that bang switch you own what's coming out of the business end of it so you want it to find it's mark not astray and a 357 will go go through and through

JSDinTexas Guest
    Concerning trigger pull pressure, let me offer this: In my carry (G23) I installed a 3.5# and a NY1 which offers about a 5# pull, and provides a firm steady trigger pull throughout its travel. I don't want a 3.5# trigger in carry because I want a positive, somewhat resistant trigger; when I pull the trigger I mean to do it. We're not going to be squeezing off rounds at the range and gauging accuracy.

To answer the question: today's autos are much more reliable than in the past (the Glock may be at the top of the reliability list and that's why I carry one); I have 14 vs 6 rds in most revolvers (I want to adequately serve everyone that comes to the party); Width of the wheel may be a carry issue; a CHL instructor once said revolvers shoot faster than autos because they don't cycle (maybe); I chose mine, but you must choose yours - I won't be there when you need to use it.

5. Wife wanted a Glock. We went to a store which has a range and rents guns. She tried quite a few, but once she fired an LCR the Glock was no longer in the running. She loves her LCR. One point, try LOADING the weapon as well as firing it. Revolvers are simple, no worrying about pulling slide to get one in chamber, no loading a clip (VERY hard so my wife found out), no safety to forget, just aim and pull the trigger.

So, go TRY a few, then decide.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Guns View Post
    Wife wanted a Glock. We went to a store which has a range and rents guns. She tried quite a few, but once she fired an LCR the Glock was no longer in the running. She loves her LCR. One point, try LOADING the weapon as well as firing it. Revolvers are simple, no worrying about pulling slide to get one in chamber, no loading a clip (VERY hard so my wife found out), no safety to forget, just aim and pull the trigger.

So, go TRY a few, then decide.
    I agree with this. For a women, I would first introduce a lady to a revolver, and I might first choose a .38 if they can handle it. And if not, go down a caliber or so. Couple of reasons: simplicity, point and shoot, and like you say, reload is easier. Also, many ladies carry in a purse, so IWB or such is not a problem. May I offer one more thing - I have observed that women in a stressful situation keep pulling the trigger until the gun is empty. I might attempt to train to launch 3 and reevaluate the situation. (I'll probably get mail for that one )

Start with a .22 and work up, and then give the lady a choice, and see what feels comfortable to her. I've taught lots of ladies over the years, and only about 15% of 'em chose a revolver.

Whatever works best for ya....
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Start with a .22 and work up, and then give the lady a choice, and see what feels comfortable to her. I've taught lots of ladies over the years, and only about 15% of 'em chose a revolver.

Whatever works best for ya....
    I'm curious. I can understand starting with a .22, but what's the reason for only 15% choosing a revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    I'm curious. I can understand starting with a .22, but what's the reason for only 15% choosing a revolver?
    I have a fair cross-section of handguns available for folks to try during classes. I also offer to take folks along to gun shows, or gun stores when they feel like they're ready to select a handgun. I've never tried to influence a persons' choice, and I honestly have not kept records, but my best guess is that over the last 20 years, probably 80% to 85% of the ladies I've worked with, have ended up selecting semi-autos. Some right off the bat, and some traded in revolvers for semi-autos.... why? I'd have to say ergonomics..... if I had to say......
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

JSDinTexas Guest
    Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering.

Wife carries 40 SA, loves it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast