Semi-Auto or Revolver for Concealed Carry?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-Auto or Revolver for Concealed Carry?

1. Semi-Auto or Revolver for Concealed Carry?

hello everyone......

i have a question to ask about a ccw....im a soon to be new cc and im trying to figure out if i should go with a semi auto or the revolver....
    i know that the auto carries more ammo but for cc purposes which is ultimately the better option.

3. Quote Originally Posted by mikestunner View Post
    hello everyone......

i have a question to ask about a ccw....im a soon to be new cc and im trying to figure out if i should go with a semi auto or the revolver....
    i know that the auto carries more ammo but for cc purposes which is ultimately the better option.
    Welcome mikestunner, you will get a lot of opinions and take them as just that opinions. The only answer is what you are most comfortable with. Myself personally I carry both not together but, I carry revolvers and semi's. This time of year I carry my 1911 because you wear a lot of clothing to cover up. In spring, summer time I carry my Glock 19 or my Taurus 617 which is a revolver and it's a seven shot and my opinion with a revolver is if I can't hit the target with 7 shots then I'd might as well just hand him the gun and count my blessings. Lot of people donít like carrying a semi auto especially a 1911 because it's usually hammer back and thumb safety on. Don't get caught up in the number of bullets just what youíre comfortable with. They sell speed loaders for revolvers. To be honest it took some time getting used to carrying a 1911 and comfortable with the gun. So take your time in choosing and be safe. Good Luck in your choice.

4. Ultimately, it's a matter of preference. I've heard complaints that revolvers can get dirty, i.e. dropped in the sand, and stop working, whereas semi autos are more resistant to dirt getting into the action.

On the other hand, I've heard people say when a revolver goes click and no bang, you just pull the trigger again. I'm of the opinion on this one, that proper training and practice can mitigate any failures for either type.

Having said that, revolvers are more simple to operate. I don't own one, but my wife want's a big revolver, not for carry but for home defense.

It's up to you and your preference. I like my P3AT for pocket carry in a wallet holster.

5. i was debating between the sr9c as an auto cc and either the sp101 or the lcr for a revolver. what do guys think about those above mentioned and also whats your personal preference, what do you carry.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mikestunner View Post
    i was debating between the sr9c as an auto cc and either the sp101 or the lcr for a revolver. what do guys think about those above mentioned and also whats your personal preference, what do you carry.

SP101 is a nice revolver and I really like the LCR. Never shot either of them but, handled the LRC very light. The SR9C I know nothing about. I like autos as a personal favorite but, again the revolver is a good gun. I will be getting an LCR soon. The .38 special it'll shoot +p's as well. The .357 is probably very hard to handle. I have a Taurus model 617 which is a little bigger and heavier than the LCR and its pretty crazy shooting .357's I can't imagine shooting the LCR with .357.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikestunner View Post
    hello everyone......

If you are gonna carry it in your purse I would go for a revolver.
    Lots of fine dirt (makeup and other stuff) ends up in the bottom of a purse.
    Maybe not so good for a semi.

Your holster is an important choice regardless of the gun you choose. All good holsters cover the trigger, so get what feels comfortable for you. Another important thing I recommend is shooting your weapon regularly. Organizations like USPSA and IDPA can provide experience in handling your weapon, drawing from concealment, and firing under semi stressful situations. Clean your weapon after a day at the range, so even if you're carrying it, the pocket lint and sweat periodically get removed too. Now comes the plug for my favorite gun: I daily carry a Springfield Armory EMP 9mm. It is the smallest 1911 style 9mm. Condition 1 is the only way to go.

first and foremost welcome to the site and your right to keep and bear arms.

For me I dont have a preference for a semi over a revolver or the other way around. I myself will only carry a weapon condition 1 and no thumb safety even if you carry with the thumb safety in fire it could get bumped through your day and be on when you need it, but thats my opinion. I have a sw99 and a xd both are in 40 and 12 round mags. My wife has a J frame 38 spl +p hammerless (636 i think) either way its nice and I love it but its hers so I'm not allowed to buy a right handed holster for it (im right handed and shes a lefty) 38 spl +P is plenty for that weapon and a wad cutter or hollow point behind that is ballisticly enough for SD.

As already stated just as important as the weapon is the holster you choose. It should cover the trigger and prevent the weapon from being able to be fired (pulling the bang button) while its holstered. It should also be comfortable for you to wear or you wont wear it and it should be comfortable and a natural motion for the draw. there are too many holsters to name but some of the more popular ones are crossbreed super tuck or kholster and blackhawk serpas

Also once you have everything you think you need practice practice and then practice, not only with your weapon and holster but with your carry ammo. Make sure the ammo you choose to carry will feed through your weapon properly. When I find my self trying a new carry ammo I buy atleast 2 boxes (one to shoot and one to carry) for everyday practice I buy the cheaper stuff until I get my reloader setup.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

Quote Originally Posted by mikestunner View Post
    hello everyone......

I had the same dilemma, and I opted for a semi auto. Why? Forget how many bullets you hold. Chances are you will never be in a fire fight. Chances are if you ever have to use your gun it will be for just several shots and it will be over...one way or the other.
    I chose the semi for conceal-ability. It has a thinner profile than a revolver. The revolver has a plus in that it is dependable,easy to use & won't jam but my concern was being able to conceal carry with out having to deal with B.S. from other people or LEOs.

Ultimately, you have to determine what are your priorities and choose accordingly.

Welcome to USA CARRY. All have posted excellent comments, as only are members are known for. I personally prefer my Springfield 1911, MIL-SPEC. I have the size to CC either SOB or shoulder. Shoulder affords me an extra 2x Mags, SOB CC I usually carry 1x. I do on occasion CC my Taurus 357 at the 4:00 OWB. Again, as earlier stated, this is what is comfortable and easily positioned on my person to facilitate a quick and safe draw. Match up a weapon of your choice to a holster. Find out what works for you and go with it. Tweaks and adjustments are going to be inevitable. AND as always Practice-Practice-Practice
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast