Concealed carry in Indiana - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concealed carry in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by gvaldeg1 View Post
    If you look at the example Indiana License/Permit accessible from the "Resources" tab on this site, it does indeed say "License". However, if you look at the "Concealed Carry PERMIT Reciprocity Maps" section you'll see that the Indiana License/Permit is recognized by many states (including my state of Arizona) as a CCW PERMIT. I think that the whole license/permit issue is a strictly semantic issue sort of like "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. There is really no issue if you accept the fact that Indiana is NOT an "open carry state" period!

You may open carry in Indiana.... The Indiana Code does NOT speak to the method of carry authorized by the License to Carry a Handgun, rendering invalid, any statement to the effect that one cannot carry a handgun openly in Indiana.

Should you find ANY reference in the Indiana Code that refers to any mandated mode of carry with the License to Carry a Handgun, please post a link to that reference.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by squisher View Post
    Though I believe that your friendly law officers do technically have the right to ask you for your permit. Most are friendly about it, some may hassle (mild scold/lecture) you about it, but otherwise send you on your way.

Now, if you're doing something dumb (handling, brandishing, threatening, etc) then you deserve it.
    The text of the state statute below only allows for this stop and identify when an infraction has occured or an ordinance has been violated. Please also note, the supreme court has held this type of stop and identify law is constitutional, as long as those conditions are met.
    IC 34-28-5-3.5 Refusal to identify self Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's: (1) name, address, and date of birth; or (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession; to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor. As added by P.L.1-1998, SEC.24.

Quote Originally Posted by squisher View Post
    If you do get your license revoked for simple, legal open carry, you have grounds for a lawsuit. So, carry however is most comfortable for you. For the most part, people will surprise you with the fact that they generally don't notice (or at least don't say anything).
    True, Indiana is an open carry state it has a License To Carry Handgun (LTCH) .

Not that it makes a tremendous amount of difference, but I think it's interesting that Indiana is an open carry state because the Indiana Code does NOT address open carry, rather than contain language specifying the ability to carry openly. I'm not sure I said that just the way I wanted to, but you folks get the idea....
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12