CC questions for the 1911 group - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CC questions for the 1911 group

Lightbulb Y'all usage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-O View Post
    thanks all, i love this site for ALL the info and opinions.
    It's "Thanks Y'all." Correct usage of the term y'all is very important. Note that the plural form of y'all is not y'alls, it's all y'all. The possesive form of y'all is y'all's. The plural possesive form is all y'all's

always cocked and lock condition #1.

Holsters, well very subjective for sure. I carry SOB palm out IWB mostly and when Im not then I carry OWB strong side coverd with shirt. I also carry Appendix carry as well. IWB are Kydex from Alabama Holster and OWB is a Wilson Combat Shark skin. I also love my super tuck IWB strongside. All of these carry positions depend on what I am wearing and which 1911 I am carrying at the time.

Good luck and carry the way you are comfortable.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor

4. Cocked and locked in a Don Hume shoulder holster.http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=60

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    It's "Thanks Y'all." Correct usage of the term y'all is very important. Note that the plural form of y'all is not y'alls, it's all y'all. The possesive form of y'all is y'all's. The plural possesive form is all y'all's
    I get the feel that y'all is from Texas.

Actually South Carolina, but Texas is close enough.

I carry IWB in a Milt Sparks VM II or a Tucker Leather THE ANSWER.

The half cock notch is not a safety. It is designed to prevent the hammer from falling on to the FP in the event of a sear failure.

JMB called the half cock notch the "safety area" in his original patent but he didn't specify it as a safety per se. After the Army asked for the thumb safety, it never made it into the Army MOA. The only 2 safeties in the Army MOA are the grip safety and thumb safety. No manufacturer I know of recommends carrying with the hammer in the half cock notch as a safety. Condition 1 or Condition 3 is it.

placing the gun in the half cock position can be a saftey issue as well. A slip or distraction and you could have an accidental discharge. Cocked and locked is perfectly safe. If you have any doubt, cock and lock it prior to putting a magazine in and carry in your normal holster. Once your comfortable that it will not just fire, then carry with one in the chamber. I read that somewhere and it made sense to me. I carry a Kimber PCII in a Adams Texas IWB, Kirkpatrick OWB with thumb snap depending on dress.

Always carry mine in "Condition Dangerous"... Cocked and Locked.

In a threat situation when you pull it out fast and your heart is racing in that life/death situation, remembering to rack the slide or cock the hammer back will be the delay that could make things worse... If you practice it over and over, your thumb will find that safety lever and drop it at the presentation and you'll be ready to fire... Fumbling the gun trying to get the hammer back is also a bad idea and can lead to a stray bullet in a panic situation...

Practice the draw and presentation with a snap cap from condition 1. Also practice unloading the gun with the same snap cap, from condition 1 to make sure you can do it without a discharge...

A holster with a thumb-break that will prevent a falling hammer from striking the pin helps ease tension..

Once you do it and feel safe with your ability to handle it, you'll be at ease...

Brommeland MAX-CON V IWB Holster..

and

DeSantis slide with thumb break OWB

You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-O View Post
    First off, how do you carry your 1911, "cocked and Locked" (hammer back,safety on) or "stand by" (round chambered, and hammer at half cock)
    You might find these pages informative:

The Sight 1911 Conditions of Readiness Page

Is Cocked and Locked Dangerous?

Condition one for me

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast