CC questions for the 1911 group - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CC questions for the 1911 group

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The 1911 was designed to be carried in "condition one"... that is... round in the chamber, hammer back, and safety on.
    Actually , no it wasn't. The original 1911 didn't have a safety at all the Army demanded that JMB put one on the weapon.

That said, I agree if you're going to carry a 1911 it should be cond 1
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Actually , no it wasn't. The original 1911 didn't have a safety at all the Army demanded that JMB put one on the weapon.

That said, I agree if you're going to carry a 1911 it should be cond 1
    In what condition was the pistol that went into production in 1911 designed to be carried?
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

In what condition was the pistol that went into production in 1911 designed to be carried?
    With the hammer cocked and the grip safety disengaged, or "on safe" if you will.

Condition I, usually with an IWB holster by Mark Waldon. Sometimes I use an Inside the Belt holster (The Mirage, from Milt Sparks). With this holster I carry in the appendix position.

6. I carry a 1911A1. As a firearm instructor I am very big on safety above all else. I carry condition 1. that is the way this firearm is ment to be carried. I us a Blackhawk Serpa holster on the strong side.

7. My Galco strong side holster has a nice feature, it has a strap that goes over the rear of the slide between the rear and the hammer. This way, even IF you could get the safety off, the grip safety down and the trigger pulled, it would just drop on the leathe, and not the firing pin. also keeps the 1911 from falling out, not that I think it would.

First let me reiterate that I agree the most sensible way to carry a 1911 is Cond. 1.

That said, I am unaware of any evidence that JMB designed the 1911 to be carried condition 1. The fact that the Army ,not him, insisted on the safety argues agsainst it.

Also, I can find no evidence that the Army ever intended Condition 1 carry either. In fact I have never seen an FM on the 1911 that doesn't state that it should be carried in Condition three. Again this argues against your thesis.

Your gun, you carry it any way you want
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Please excuse my thesis.......
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-O View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this site,and I have found it to be a wealth of information. I have a couple of questions for 1911 CC carriers. First off, how do you carry your 1911, "cocked and Locked" (hammer back,safety on) or "stand by" (round chambered, and hammer at half cock)I have been given advice by other people. (mostly non-1911 CC carriers) And I'd like to hear from this group. Second, What holster do you use. I have a Citadel 1911 CSP, with a BlackHawk Serpa Holster that I plan to carry "strongside". Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bob
    I always carry "cocked and locked." Usually I use an IWB summer special style or a SideGuard IWB pancake holster. Occasionally I wear a SideGuard OWB beltslide holster.

Condition 1 in combat.

Condition 3 everywhere else.

Yes, yes, I know - before you all get in a huff, I understand alot of people sort of unconsciously consider themselves going into combat whenever they step out the front door.

But that's another topic.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast