LEO Right to disarm legal Concealed Carrier? - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO Right to disarm legal Concealed Carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    to kelcarry

We are all CITIZENS of this great country. This is why I can express my opinion without fear of retribution.
    At the same time criticism of the governmental organizations and it's policies does NOT make me less of a patriot then anybody else.... Remember that...

to Rabbitcreekok

We can only judge things from our experience. I lived in Texas over 20 years and I have yet to meet/see/hear about a policeman that has a good attitude, well natured, calm and does not exhibit some form of sociopathic tendencies. Most of the cops that I had misfortune to come in contact with seemed to thrive on fear and intimidation. They all appeared to have genuine feeling of contempt and mistrust towards the rest of the population....
    Soooo, if there's any "good cops" out there...I haven't met any...ever...
    Never happened...
    Texas, don't take this comment in the wrong light, but I always treated citizens I came into contact just as nice as they allowed me to treat them. If they were rude to me, I did not treat them the same way as if they were acting in a civil manner. I had many folks who I took to jail and left there, thank me for the manner in which I treated them. As I said, I treated them as nice as they would allow me to treat them.

It is unfortunate that every officer you have come into contact with has treated you as if they were "sociopaths", but I know all officers are not sociopaths. In fact very few officers are sociopaths. There are certainly bad police officers out there, but certainly not all.

Try a little experiment the next time you are stopped. Go to the extreme to be civil with the officer and see if the response is different. I think perhaps your intense dislike of police officers might be coming through to the officers you come in contact with.

Well said Rabbitcreekok. It would be nice to see a courteous reply.

Quote Originally Posted by MONTANA View Post
    I fear what the legal ramifications might be, but if an officer tells me to hand over my firearm, I will immediately place my hands on top of my head turn the armed side of my body slightly toward him and respectfully say "I actually prefer that you take the firearm if I am required to be disarmed". I definitely do not want to put my hand on a firearm during a routine stop, even when instructed to do so. What does everyone else think about this decision?
    Sounds like a good safe thing to do. Maybe help the officer out by telling them (in my case), I've go no manual safety on my gun and there's one in the chamber!

JSDinTexas Guest
    Not all cops are necessarily bad, and not all with Texas in their name are necessarily negatively opinionated.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Kentucky, God I love it here!!

KRS 237.104 Rights to acquire, carry, and use deadly weapons not to be impaired during disaster or emergency -- Seizure of deadly weapons during disaster or emergency prohibited -- Application of section.
    (1) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, have the right to revoke, suspend, limit the use of, or otherwise impair the validity of the right of any person to purchase, transfer, loan, own, possess, carry, or use a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.
    (2) No person, unit of government, or governmental organization shall, during a period of disaster or emergency as specified in KRS Chapter 39A or at any other time, take, seize, confiscate, or impound a firearm, firearm part, ammunition, ammunition component, or any deadly weapon or dangerous instrument from any person.
    (3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the taking of an item specified in subsection (1) or (2) of this section from a person who is:
    (a) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040;
    (b) Forbidden to possess a firearm pursuant to federal law;
    (c) Violating KRS 527.020;
    (d) In possession of a stolen firearm;
    (e) Using a firearm in the commission of a separate criminal offense**; or
    (f) Using a firearm or other weapon in the commission of an offense under KRS Chapter 150.
    Effective: July 12, 2006
    History: Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 240, sec. 7, effective July 12, 2006.

**so you could be trespassing, commit any kind of traffic violation, even beat someone down with your fists(as long as you were in the right), etc and they still cant disarm you
    I take it, you didn't red the part I colored red. I'm not sure about Kentucky, but in most states, using your fists to beat the crap out of someone could easily be construed as using another "weapon" in the commission of a crime.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFollower View Post
    I had a run of back luck with LEOs and my excessive speed earlier in the year so I got to test out the advice of my CCW instructor (retired LEO) more than once. Which was: show them your permit and inform them that you are armed and intend to fully comply with his wishes. After all no one wants a man with a gun (the LEO) to be nervous. I was told that they will know you are a permit holder the instant they run your license. Be forthright as you are the honest, law-abiding, background-checked, American citizen.

1) Lady Trooper. Hand my license and permit and inform of the fact that I am armed. She asked where it was located. "At 4 oclock on my hip, ma'am". "OK" Hands me the permit and "I'll be right back" cha-ching, ticket for speeding.

2) Local LEO. Asks why my permit is separate from my driver's license. Advice from CCW instructor, in case they want to lift your DL, you still have your permit. Plus expiration dates are not in sync. After he write me up, cha-ching, he asks what was I carrying, "Glock 19". "Nice gun" was his response.

3) Local LEO. Similar story. Looks at permit, asks where the weapon was, writes me a speeding ticket.

3 out of 3 good experiences. Expect the cost of said tickets which more than ruled out the purchase of a backup weapon. And yes, I drive much slower now.
    Interesting. In all my traffic encounters since I got my Michigan CPL, I've not received one ticket that I was probably entitled to. Maybe my luck was just better.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I do not have the actual Ohio law to post, however, during my CCW classes it was indicated that if we are detained by LE that we are required to announce if we are armed. I also recall that if a Leo asks for the weapon we are required to comply. This is only for safety during the period of the stop.
    I have never been in this situation, nor have I had an opportunity to announce I am armed. During traffic stops in the past the officers already had my info relayed to them after running my plates. they asked me if I was carrying. They never askrd to see or asked where it was located.

I am also very polite and as a courtesy I keep both hands on the steering wheel in plain sight. I will always comply with LE. They have a tough enough job dealing with real bads guys, they shouldn't have to put up with 'obtuse' individuals as well.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Devo6684 View Post
    They have a tough enough job dealing with real bads guys, they shouldn't have to put up with 'obtuse' individuals as well.
    We, as Americans, have a tough enough time already trying to hold on to the rights that we do have left. We shouldn't have to put up with being labeled as "obtuse" individuals because our rights happen to be important to us.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    We, as Americans, have a tough enough time already trying to hold on to the rights that we do have left. We shouldn't have to put up with being labeled as "obtuse" individuals because our rights happen to be important to us.
    I was wondering, LT, if you could be a little more specific. Taking a look at your statement above it would appear that we, as Americans, have had quite a few of our rights taken from us. Could you please tell us wich ones we have lost lately and how they impact you and the rest of us as well.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

11. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I was wondering, LT, if you could be a little more specific. Taking a look at your statement above it would appear that we, as Americans, have had quite a few of our rights taken from us. Could you please tell us wich ones we have lost lately and how they impact you and the rest of us as well.
    Except in very limited circumstances you have no right to carry a firearm in public in Florida, for instance. That right was taken away from you.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast