Carrying a "collector piece"? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a "collector piece"?

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    Long slide, long travel time = slower overall times even if it is a very small difference.
    It's actually not the length of the slide, but rather the length of the recoil assembly that determines how far the slide needs to travel. The G22, G24, and G35 all use the same recoil assembly, further more the slide mass is the same for all three modles. That's why the G24 and G35 have a window in the top of the slide.

On an unrelated note, I have often wondered why Glock has not come out with a G35C model similar to the G24C. The barrel of the G24C has four ports that can be seen through the slide window, perhaps a G35C would only have three, smaller window.

3. Personally, I won't keep a gun that I won't shoot. My opinion is that is what guns are made for is shooting. But I won't carry a gun that I care about in daily life because of the possibility that it is going to end up in police hands.

Cool Collector Piece

Weekendskp: Most people I know seem to buy commemorative items as an investment. A commemorative pistol is not one I would want to carry and/or fire unless I didn't care about its future value. If you are not looking toward future value then, by all means, carry it and use it as you would use any stock model weapon. That is your decision to make.

If you like it,
    carry it
    no safe queens.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    My opinion is that is what guns are made for is shooting.
    To use a quote from the movie "Short Circuit 2", "That's hitting the nail right between the eyes."

If I have 'em I use 'em. Same with vintage cigars....why keep them for your heirs to sell? I smoke 'em if I got 'em.

If it shoots when you pull the trigger and you can handle it effectively why not? I dont think the bad guy cares about the commemorative engraving on the gun and neither does anyone else, your choice my friend, I would stick with plain jane reliable fireams, carry guns get bumped around, wet, sweated on, spilled on etc.

Q: GunBroker.com has an NRA Camp Perry Limited Edition 1911 to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the National Matches for no more than one would spend on a nice 1911 target from Springfield Armory. Would you carry it as your CCW?
    What is the brand of the Camp Perry Edition? I've heard of it but can't remember who makes it. Is it heavily engraved or does it just have some special grips/sights/etc?

If you are getting a commemerative for the same price as a non-commemerative that would be a red flag for me as the commemerative ones typically cost more NIB. That said if you happen to get a deal on the commemerative one, it functions well and you don't care about it possibly losing value (which would be minimal if it had already been fired) I say why not?

Something similar came up a while back regarding carrying a S&W Model 1917. I suggested that the carrier look into a more modern firearm as I thought the one that he was carrying was an anitque (turns out it was a reproduction) and irreplacable, and if he got involved in a shooting the police would take it for evidence and he would likely never see it again. A particulary unintelligent poster on here took that to mean that I think we should all carry cheap guns, which is not the case.

Q: GunBroker.com has an NRA Camp Perry Limited Edition 1911 to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the National Matches for no more than one would spend on a nice 1911 target from Springfield Armory. Would you carry it as your CCW?
    Sure....why not. I mean realistically...because it is marleted and manufactured as a "collector peice" really doesn't mean it will in fact become a sought after piece.

I carry this cometimes....my BBQ gun.

1911a1

I carried a 1911 in Viet Nam and it's one of the few things I liked about that experience. However, when you look at the 1911 v. the newer handguns it is heavy, big and limited to 7+1. If I owned a 1911 A1 today it would be in a display case and I'd still carry my xdm or my 380.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast