What would you do?

Thread: What would you do?

1. What would you do?

My family lives in Cleveland, Ohio in what would be considered by most to be a good neighborhood. On the evening news last night, they highlighted someone being almost beaten to death (he lost sight in one eye) by a gang of high school students. Another story highlighted a bank robbery at a bank I have stopped at when I have been in the area visiting my parents.

This caused a question to come to my mind as to what I would have done had I come upon the poor soul who was being beaten by 5 or 6 thugs, or if I had been in the bank when it was robbed. I know what I THINK I would do, but I would be very interested in hearing input from others on this forum as to their thoughts.

Thanks,

Neal

Neal you're on a web site that promotes and supports your right to carry a firearm. We could "What ifs" all day long but the right that you have to protect you and your family from the violence is a decision you must make. Remember that when seconds count, the police are just minutes away. Please if you haven't yet, consider exercising your Second Amendment Rights.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Too many variables involved to make arm chair analysis easy on a web site. However this is a web site dedicated to discussions and communications related to open and concealed carry of firearms as was posted above.
    Carry it with you all the time when and where you can. Remember you are not a police officer so in a case where you are not being threatened directly you will have to use good judgment. In the case of the bank robbery it's best not to get involved unless the threat is directed at you. Be a good witness make note of clothing, voices, escape vehicle etc... If the BG is armed and he fires a shot at any one or points the gun at you then reaction is in order.

In the case of witnessing a beating by multiple assailants, I'd have to say I'd get involved, If just to stop the assault and save the victim. Hard to say what the outcome would be. Hard to say who the victim could be. The guy getting the beating could be a BG getting some old fashioned justice administered.

The gun is just a tool. The greatest tool you are armed with is the will to survive and the intellect to make it happen. A gun is not a magic talisman nor a shield against the evil that men do.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

5. Don't get me wrong. I am not looking for trouble, and I do CC already (that is why I am asking this). In both of these cases, I could easily have found myself in the middle of the situation outlined, and that is why I posted them. They are not just "hypotheticals"- they are cases that have happened within the past three days in areas where I sometimes travel. Given a different day and time, I could have been in the middle, and thinking about what I would or should do BEFORE that happens seems prudent to me. Just curious what others think.

Neal

I would get involved, but I would NOT fire my gun unless I was being attached.

I try to live by the Golden Rule: "Treat others the way "you" would like to be treated."

If roles were reversed and I was being beat down by several thugs, I would want someone to help.

Likewise, if it were my wife or my children being beat down, I would hope that someone would be willing to intervene on their behalf.

I can't say specifically about the beating, though I know I'd help the underdog out somehow. As for a bank robbery? Screw that. It's not my money. The bank is insured. Nobody is being harmed. Why stir up a hornets nest and become liable and maybe get somebody killed.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by NealC View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I am not looking for trouble, and I do CC already (that is why I am asking this). In both of these cases, I could easily have found myself in the middle of the situation outlined, and that is why I posted them. They are not just "hypotheticals"- they are cases that have happened within the past three days in areas where I sometimes travel. Given a different day and time, I could have been in the middle, and thinking about what I would or should do BEFORE that happens seems prudent to me. Just curious what others think.

Neal
    Tread lightly in both. I think your instincts will let you know what you should do.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Be a GOOD WITNESS.

The bank...no brainer...the bank is insured. Unless you are a...and let me stress this...VERY HIGHLY TRAINED professional, keep your head down and do what the nice robber tells you to do. The value of YOUR butt is much higher than the value of the BANK'S insured money.

IF, and ONLY if you honestly believe the robbery is going to turn into a slaughter...your best course of action is to remain CALM and COMPLIANT. IF it becomes a hostage situation...simply bide your time, and when Mr. Robber makes a mistake, then you can act. Don't try to be a hero, you will get yourself and very likely other folks who were cashing their paychecks...DEAD.

There are a ton of variables...who knows if the subject 9no real cop calls them "perp"...not in my 22 years behind the badge. If you force a confrontation with what you assume to be a lone subject, and he has one or more accomplices who are posing as customers...yep...you guessed it...YOU ARE DEAD, and I mean door nail dead. Wait it out, be a good witness.

Can you deliver deadly accurate fire from a pistol with very good stopping power under INCREDIBLE stress so as to ensure you don't blaze away and kill other innocents?

If you choose to act, be damned sure YOUR BUTT is the one in the fryer. Don't be a hero or the type of guy who carries some ridiculous CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT BADGE...cops think those are funny and the guys who wear them are like the Forrest Gump of the gun community.

Seeing a kid get the crap beat out of him by a gang of thugs...that is a tougher call.

Is it a very young kid getting beaten by older "gangsta" wannabes or a real gang? Is it a fight between peers, or maybe the one getting stomped acted in a manner consistent with needing his butt whupped. Maybe he even started the fracas by pulling a weapon and got his butt kicked righteously. Use your phone and call 911. I know it is a tough call...I'd hate to have to make it.

An officer in uniform, in that situation, has a hole lot better chance of making this stop by simply making his presence known and telling the group to "STOP RIGHT NOW. EVERYONE< GET YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!"

A civvie does that...you may HAVE to fire when they turn their assault on you. Believe me, the papers wont read HERO SHOOTS GANG MEMBERS TO SAVE INNOCENT BOY, it will more probably read MAN SLAYS MULTIPLE YOUTH IN A SENSELESS BLOODBATH.

I am reitred now...have been for a year. I don't get paid to run to the sound of gunfire. I don't even carry my badge and police ID any longer, which I AM allowed to do because being a RETIRED cop...well that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee at your local stop and rob. I still carry my gun, all day every day, but my job now is to protect MY family and MY tender butt. Same as yours.

I intervened once when a guy was beating on his wife in a mall parking lot, I hit him a few times and got him on the ground and told his wife to call the police, she said she already did and I got charged with disorderly conduct, could have been worse I guess but be careful "getting involved" unless their is a direct threat to you or your family trust me