New to CCW! Questions about CCW! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to CCW! Questions about CCW!

1. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Dunn View Post
    My wife an i both have carry permits from the state of florida and we have dual residencies(nj/ fl). We do a lot of travel out o state and we are always armed. With the florida permit we can carry legally in 34 states. Also, we take the weapons with us when we fly. And, of course, the weapons are in our checked-in baggage. I would strongly recommend you buy the "travelers guide to the firearm laws of the fifty states." we have used this booklet many times over for our travels out of state and it is invaluable. If you want to order a copy call 859-491-6400. Cost is only $13 bucks. Bet you will thank me.
    Good luck and welcome aboard.
    I wouldn't want to rely entirely on the information in a printed book, which only gives you a snapshot of the laws in effect at the time of printing.

Last spring I made a road trip out to Arizona, packing a pistol for the first time, thanks to my new Utah non-resident CCW permit. Ah, I had everything all figured out for my route from Illinois to Arizona (yeah, I'm from Illinois, too...). I would unlock my box when I crossed the river into Missouri, and pack heat all the way to Arizona...

But, fortunately for me, I learned that just several days before I left, New Mexico announced that they would no longer honor non-resident CCW permits from Utah. If I had relied on a book that went to press any time before that date, I could have been driving into a non compliant mess...

Use this website as a guide, kinda like the way they did Pirates of the Carribean: "Well, the Pirate's Code is more like a guide, ya see..."

Use the recriposity map on this website first, then use Google and check all over the internets, and then try and make sense out of what you find. The most useful thing you can do is look up the State Police websites and contact numbers, and check them for up to date information on recriposity, before strapping up and going for that trip. The state of the CCW recriposity laws can be pretty fluid, if ya know what I mean...

Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jblave View Post
    :The kicker of it all is that I'am an armed security officer in Illinois and Missouri where I'm licensed to carry on duty and in uniform.( I can even make arrests). Everything with CCWs is so confusing I think a federal law would solve all the confusion! Thanks in advance for any replys.
    If it was me, I'd move to Missouri. :)
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Tommypotatoes, I didn't say to rely on the book for the laws of any particular state. And yes, it does site the laws at the time of printing, however, there is much, much more damn good information contained in it. To list some of the other information contained in it: shall issue vs. may issue, reciprocity and recognition, loaded vs. unloaded, open carry, how to transport thru
    restrictive states, traffic stops, motorcycle issues, travel by air, lists all states attorney generals with phone numbers and a hell of a lot more info on traveling with a firearm. When we travel out of state, I personally call each states AG to find out if my wife and I are legal to carry in that state.

Lauren Cnare! Stated and I quote," WE dont need your little guns or your childish displays of constitutional rights"

WE DONT NEED LAUREN CNARE IN OFFICE EVER AGAIN

Illinois (chicago) resident.

As an Armed Guard your TAN CARD in illinois allows you to carry 1 hour to and from and while on duty
    It ALSO exempts you from Chicago Gun Registration.
    Your FOID allows you to PURCHASE firearms and ammunition.

I routinely walk into Chicago Police Stations and ask them to check my CCW permits in LEADS.
    They do not know how to do this, but are quick to quote that "only the police can carry in chicago"
    (until I place MY Tan Card on the table and say Oh Really?)

I need to start a push in Chicago for CCW.
    The pretense is the REVERSE of State law in that CFP(Chicago firearm permit) holders will pay an additional 50 dollars every year(For the term of the CFP Licence,3 years) CFP holders SHALL BE ISSUED CCW permits in Chicago without any further BG or FP checks(alteady done for the CFP) After the trial 3 year period we toss this in Gov Quinns face and say if we are responsible enough to do this in Chicago why not the rest of the state.

IM SERIOUS AND WANT TO DO THIS VERY MUCH
    ILLINOIS IS THE ONLY STATE that doesnt allow carry.
    THIS HAS TO CHANGE

Quote Originally Posted by cortchubby View Post
    Illinois (chicago) resident.

As an Armed Guard your TAN CARD in illinois allows you to carry 1 hour to and from and while on duty
    It ALSO exempts you from Chicago Gun Registration.
    Your FOID allows you to PURCHASE firearms and ammunition.

I routinely walk into Chicago Police Stations and ask them to check my CCW permits in LEADS.
    They do not know how to do this, but are quick to quote that "only the police can carry in chicago"
    (until I place MY Tan Card on the table and say Oh Really?)

I need to start a push in Chicago for CCW.
    The pretense is the REVERSE of State law in that CFP(Chicago firearm permit) holders will pay an additional 50 dollars every year(For the term of the CFP Licence,3 years) CFP holders SHALL BE ISSUED CCW permits in Chicago without any further BG or FP checks(alteady done for the CFP) After the trial 3 year period we toss this in Gov Quinns face and say if we are responsible enough to do this in Chicago why not the rest of the state.

IM SERIOUS AND WANT TO DO THIS VERY MUCH
    ILLINOIS IS THE ONLY STATE that doesnt allow carry.
    THIS HAS TO CHANGE
    Unless they changed it, I believe there used to be a line printed on or near the bottom of the tan card that says "This is not a permit to carry a firearm." As it was explained to me, many many moons ago, (back when the card was blue) it simply is an affirmative defense to the charge of illegally carrying a firearm.

Take it how you want to, but that's how the law was written. Other than certain exceptions, LEOs, National Guard, while on duty, security guards while on duty or on their way to or from their home and place of work, and have completed the necessary training, AND Chicago City aldermen, everyone else is denied the right of self defense outside their home.

Now, if all you people could just get together, and put a real conservative in the governor's chair, who's not gonna kowtow to Chicago, and a majority in the legislature, I think you might get your rights back.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 11-25-2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: added the bold part
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12