Back up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back up

Back up

Considering buying a small handgun for back up. Any ideas on which type to buy? I usually carry Springfield Xd Sub in 9mm. I also have a Ruger LCP that I pocket carry in the summer. I'm smitten with the Bond Arms .45/410 and would like to carry it ankle style.Comments?

The LCP would probably make a good BUG, but probably not in an ankle holster.

I too am thinking about a derringer as a BUG, but in .38 or .357. I saw a nice little IWB derringer holster I liked the other day.

You may have to go with a lighter derringer for ankle holster use. Never tried one so I don't know.

I can buy .38 snake shot at the local gun shop if I want them.

The Bond Arms is one substantial double barrel!! A little expensive, but should last forever! I don't think I want the .410/.45 model due to recoil sensitivity. I can handle .357 ok, but the bigger calibers in a small handgun can be excessive.

Buy what feels right to you and you will do ok.

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

Back up

Thanks for the input. The store I contacted actually only has the 9mm. in stock. Price was $368. $31 cheaper than Cabellas. This piece has barrels you can buy from 22lr to 45/410. Barrels are $139 from Bond Arms. I have looked at other derringers at gun shows, and most are very toy like. This one is very heavy & looks extremely well made.

I've heard a lot of good things about Bond Arms over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about Bond Arms over the years.
    I've had Bond Arms in .45 acp., built like a tank and accurate. Would recommend the .38 spl., the .45 & .357 will kick like a mule on steroids.
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

Right on the .38 Special!!!! I usually go for the .357 cause you can use both in it. Also, I think .38 short is still available. That would make for easy practice.

BTW, Missoak, having the derringer in 9 MM would mean you would only need one kind of ammo. Just a thought.

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

Backup

Plus I think the 9mm would be manageable in a real situation. Also $10 a box for shells is nice. Think I would like to have the different barrels just for ha,ha's, especialy the 45/410. Probably break my arm shooting it, but still a blast! Will have the gun Wed., but still looking for some kind of holster to carry it. I have a pocket holster for my l c p, which is fine unless you're sitting. Ankle would be best if I'm in the car and need to get to the BUG. Will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks!

Errrr, is a back up similar to a throw down? Also not sure why some would have a back up.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I have a Bond Arms Century 2000 with 410/45LC, 22LR and have ordered 3 1/2" 357 Mag Barrel. I carry mine in a shoulder Holster Left side while driving Van and right side while on Motorcycle or Motor Scooter. I also carry a SP101 357 Mag in my belt. This is a heavy Gun to carry on your ankle. I have no problem with the recoil. I live on a Pond an shoot a lot of snakes. The more shows I see about Python Snakes moving North from Fla the more I like this Gun.

I got a chance to play with a new S&W Bodyguard in .380. I was very favorably impressed.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast