CC in South Dakota!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC in South Dakota!

Question CC in South Dakota!

I'm having a little trouble understanding the carry laws of SD. It really doesnt say in the handbook where your allowed to carry, Like stores, malls, Walmart things like that, Anyone from SD that can tell me anything about where its legal to carry in this state?

3. according to Handgunlaw.us, places off-limits are:

* any licensed on-sale malt beverage or alcoholic beverage establishment that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of malt or alcoholic beverages.

* courthouses

* elementary or secondary school premises or vehicle

go to the website, click on south dakota. the site gives links to the SD statues. take a look at them

Quote Originally Posted by Brunay View Post
    according to Handgunlaw.us, places off-limits are:

* any licensed on-sale malt beverage or alcoholic beverage establishment that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of malt or alcoholic beverages.

* courthouses

* elementary or secondary school premises or vehicle

go to the website, click on south dakota. the site gives links to the SD statues. take a look at them

I didnt see anything that says about where you can carry. so i would Imagine u would be able to carry in malls and stores like Walmart Etc?

Quote Originally Posted by p95_9mm View Post
    I didnt see anything that says about where you can carry. so i would Imagine u would be able to carry in malls and stores like Walmart Etc?
    If it is not listed as no carry by state law than you can carry there. That means yes you can carry in Walmart (I do it all the time)

You CANNOT carry in a bar, A restaurant with a liquor license is ok just don't go in the actual bar area.

You CANNOT carry in a courthouse.

You CANNOT carry on school property.

You CAN open carry without a permit.

If the law does not restrict you from carrying in a specific place then you CAN carry there.

The actual South Dakota Codified Statutes are here:

South Dakota Codified Laws

Any more Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
    If it is not listed as no carry by state law than you can carry there. That means yes you can carry in Walmart (I do it all the time)

You CANNOT carry in a bar, A restaurant with a liquor license is ok just don't go in the actual bar area.

You CANNOT carry in a courthouse.

You CANNOT carry on school property.

You CAN open carry without a permit.

If the law does not restrict you from carrying in a specific place then you CAN carry there.

The actual South Dakota Codified Statutes are here:

South Dakota Codified Laws

Any more Questions?

Hold the Phone, The last i knew u couldn't open carry cause it was against the law, and does the metal detector go off at Walmart?

As a SD resident I can tell you that you can carry all places except the ones mentioned before. There are business' that have a no weapons policy posted when you enter and here if you carry and they find out they will cask you to leave but not take any criminal action unless you are a jackass to them about it and then will have to deal with local law enforcement, but guessing that isn't generally a problem. I've carried concealed almost every day since i turned 18 (legal age for permit in SD) and commonly carry in shopping centers and even banks with no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    As a SD resident I can tell you that you can carry all places except the ones mentioned before. There are business' that have a no weapons policy posted when you enter and here if you carry and they find out they will cask you to leave but not take any criminal action unless you are a jackass to them about it and then will have to deal with local law enforcement, but guessing that isn't generally a problem. I've carried concealed almost every day since i turned 18 (legal age for permit in SD) and commonly carry in shopping centers and even banks with no issue.

How about places with metal detectors??

I can say Ive been all over the state and the only places Ive ran into the had metal detectors were airports and gov. buildings where you cant carry anyway so never ran into that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    I can say Ive been all over the state and the only places Ive ran into the had metal detectors were airports and gov. buildings where you cant carry anyway so never ran into that problem.
    The reason why i ask cause i know Walmart has one!!

Is it a metal detector or a anti -theft rfid security stands by the door? It would take all day to stop everyone who came in that had metal on them (think car keys and pocket knifes) most likely that is what it is, granted it has been a couple months since i was last in wally world in sf but i didn't have a issue then.
    Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.
    George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast