Forgetting to take your weapon off - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Forgetting to take your weapon off

Quote Originally Posted by Danieljoe1 View Post
    What is needed are business' with signs that say "We refuse to discriminate against gun owners, Commit your crime elsewhere"

I dont know if it would help or make the business a target...
    I have this sign posted in the front office/waiting room of my auto repair shop. I also OC while working. There is only the occasional raised eyebrow, I have only lost a few customers because of it (but have gained many) and it has never made me or the shop a target for crime. YRMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    The problem I see with this "il"logic is the "private property" is open to the "general public".

We have a Winner!!!!!!

Business property may be privately owned, but they are inviting the public into/onto such property.....

Concealed. Unless there is a metal detector or a pat down, I don't see a problem?
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

I went to the local ER one night, I did forget to leave my CCW in the truck.BIG Sign on front door....No Firearms Beyond This Point....As I walked through the metal detector to my surprise it went off like I won something on the Price Is Right..I told the Security Guard I was wearing Steel Toe Shoes( witch was not a lie) with a wave of the hand I was in.
    Its Better To Have It And Not Need It Than To Need It And Not Have It.

JSDinTexas Guest

Two signs in Texas and I obey both

There is the 30.06 sign that anyone can post on their property and the 51% sign indicating 51% of their revenue is obtained through on-premises drinking, such as at a bar.

Here is the 30.06:
    Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
    (1) carries a handgun under the authority of Article 4413(29ee), Revised Statutes, on property of another without effective consent; and
    (2) received notice that:
    (A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or
    (B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
    (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).
    (3) "Written communication" means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Article 4413(29ee), Revised Statutes (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or
    (B) a sign posted on the property that:
    (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

And here is the 51% sign law:
    GENERAL CODE
    GC 411.204. NOTICE REQUIRED ON CERTAIN PREMISES.
    (a) A business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter
    25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, and that derives 51
    percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages for
    on-premises consumption as determined by the Texas Alcoholic
    Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage
    Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the business
    premises a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection (c).
    (b) A hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code,
    or a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety
    Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the hospital or
    nursing home, as appropriate, a sign that complies with the requirements
    of Subsection (c) other than the requirement that the sign
    include on its face the number "51".
    (c) The sign required under Subsections (a) and (b) must give
    notice in both English and Spanish that it is unlawful for a person
    licensed under this subchapter to carry a handgun on the premises.
    The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least
    one inch in height and must include on its face the number "51" printed
    in solid red at least five inches in height. The sign shall be displayed in
    a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    (d) A business that has a permit or license issued under the Alcoholic
    Beverage Code and that is not required to display a sign under
    this section may be required to display a sign under Section 11.041 or
    61.11, Alcoholic Beverage Code.
    (e) This section does not apply to a business that has a food and
    beverage certificate issued under the Alcoholic Beverage Code.

While the 30.06 sign is not mandatory, the 51% sign is.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    We have a Winner!!!!!!

Business property may be privately owned, but they are inviting the public into/onto such property.....
    ... As long as they follow my rules. I invite the public into/onto my privately owned business property everyday. And I still get to decide who is allowed, what they are allowed to bring with them and what they are allowed to do.

Once you enter my privately owned property, whether business or personal, my rights trump yours. If for any reason you don't wish to conform to whatever rules that I have in place, you're more than welcome to leave.

So your winner really isn't. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    ... As long as they follow my rules. I invite the public into/onto my privately owned business property everyday. And I still get to decide who is allowed, what they are allowed to bring with them and what they are allowed to do.

Once you enter my privately owned property, whether business or personal, my rights trump yours. If for any reason you don't wish to conform to whatever rules that I have in place, you're more than welcome to leave.
    That's all fine and dandy. But just remember the rule of law is what governs public behavior, not your personal likes and dislikes. If you want mix the two in ways that don't agree then you will just have to recognize and accept the fact that you automatically eliminate a certain segment of your potential customer base in cases like this.

Like you said, "they are welcome to leave." And on this particular subject you will find some simply decide to never show up in the first place.

That's all fine and dandy. But just remember the rule of law is what governs public behavior, not your personal likes and dislikes. If you want mix the two in ways that don't agree then you will just have to recognize and accept the fact that you automatically eliminate a certain segment of your potential customer base in cases like this.

Like you said, "they are welcome to leave." And on this particular subject you will find some simply decide to never show up in the first place.
    Good for them. If you were paying attention and read my post earlier in this thread, you'd know that's not really a problem for me.

So, what's your point?

My point is public law seems to disagree with your private property policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    We are talking about CCW in a privately-owned public establishment, right? So be it, no problem. Re-read my previous post if you aren't getting my point.

My point is public law seems to disagree with your private property policy.

We are talking about CCW in a privately-owned public establishment, right? So be it, no problem. Re-read my previous post if you aren't getting my point.
    Really? Can you cite a public law that states I have to allow anyone to do anything on my private property?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast