Meeting people
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting people

Meeting people

My wife is taking classes at the community college (cnm) and one of her class mates invited us over for a bbq. There will be others from the class there.

Should I inform the home owner the I am carrying?

I have never met these people before and don't know how they might react to having a gun in their home.

If I don't tell them they will never know I am carrying, unless something goes down.

What would be the polite thing to do?
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

I would say nothing.

Until you know whether this acquaintance will evolve into a friendship, (bearing in mind that there is a huge difference), I'd subscribe to "don't ask, don't tell"
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

What are you trying to get your post count up or what?
    Of course you should keep your mouth shut about your "concealed" weapon.
    Now stop asking stupid questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Until you know whether this acquaintance will evolve into a friendship, (bearing in mind that there is a huge difference), I'd subscribe to "don't ask, don't tell"
    That is the way I was thinking also.

Just never had this come up before. Not much of a socialite.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

I agree with Jay >>>"don't ask, don't tell"! Of course at this BBQ you won't have any beer. Not even one will you?!

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I agree with Jay >>>"don't ask, don't tell"! Of course at this BBQ you won't have any beer. Not even one will you?!
    Stir the pot!

Dont' ask, Don't tell.
    Ed

9. I'm just trying to get my post count up. But since there is a question on the table, don't tell.

Since my wife has her CHP, occasionally one of us will be the the designated CHP, usually her, if adult beverages are involved. This includes CC on a night out.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
    I'm just trying to get my post count up. But since there is a question on the table, don't tell.

Since my wife has her CHP, occasionally one of us will be the the designated CHP, usually her, if adult beverages are involved. This includes CC on a night out.
    Not a bad idea. hadn't thought of that.

I usually don't drink on a first date anyway.
    Ed

You folks are forgetting one important thing: Permit or not, you're right to carry on private property is dependant on the owner's wishes.

I'm going against the consensus (thus far) on this one. In most circumstances I would only carry in someone's house with their permission. In the situation described I would leave my pistol locked in my truck.

A person's home is their castle and I will respect their wishes just like I would want them to respect mine. I wouldn't even bring it up - I leave the gun elsewhere. Obviously I'm a gun owner but I would feel a little uneasy with an armed virtual stranger in my home, especially when alcohol may be flowing.

I would only use the "don't ask, don't tell" if for some reason I thought there might be a threat, and I would only enter such a situation if I felt as though I had little choice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast