Long haul trucker ccw permit...carry, yes or no? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long haul trucker ccw permit...carry, yes or no?

I'm an NRA Certified Instructor, and I shutter at what you posted that your CCW instructor "said".

I routinely travel From Montana to Florida (and back) twice a year. Every state is (at least slightly) different, but understanding where you can legally carry is not that hard of a task. This site has a good "reciprocity map", and two other good site for other information on vehicle carry, open carry, etc. are http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ and http://www.handgunlaw.us. Depending on what state issued your CCP, you may be quite legal in many other states. Also,there are several states (Florida in particular) that issue permits to non-residents, and many states (all but CO, SC, MI & NH) honor non-resident permits.

But here's a tip on the fastest way to lose your CWP, and probably your right to even purchase a firearm... Get convicted of carrying a concealed firearm in a state that does not honor any of your permits, or get convicted of a "carry violation" (carrying in a prohibited place) even in a state that does honor your permit.

But here's another suggestion... If you know where the "Bad Truck Stops" are, avoid them! I realize that you may have a lot of constraints on going a different route, but you may be able to pick where along your route that you stop.

So think about this one... Prison is Prison, and in some places illegally carrying or possessing a firearm - concealed or otherwise - will allow you to become intimately familiar with the inside of some State's Pen!

StaySafe
    MG
    NRA Certified Instructor - StaySafe(tm) Training
    Pipe Hitters Union, Local 417
    Join the NRA! The Gun you save may be YOUR OWN!

3. Friend of mine drives long haul, he's a VERY avid gun owner and user. His "edc" in his cab? His very trusty M1 Garand. He says its legal anywhere in the continental US except NYC, and he won't go there... not for anything. He knows which states will allow lawful carry with the permits he has, and does carry a concealed handgun there. Other places, it is locked away, unloaded, ammunition in another locked container.
    Something else to bear in mind, if you have a sleeper cab and are SLEEPING inside it, you are no longer in a "vehicle" but in a (temporary" dwelling... and it becomes legal in almost all places to have a loaded handgun ready to hand. As soon as you wake up, though, if you're in never never land, you have to secure the weapon, as your "dwelling" again becomes a vehicle. Not quite certain how that slices down when team driving, one in the can one in the saddle.

BUT... my buddy's M1 is ALWAYS in the cab, and ALWAYS loaded. Extra stripper clips ready to hand. He's been doing it for years, never had a problem. Its a long gun, and only holds 8 rounds.... so under the maximum everywhere. He's also a great shot with that gun, having qualified as "Expert
    on the Army Qualification Test.

Someone mentioned the Florida permit.. a good idea. Go to Florida's Dept lf Agriculture page, find the link for the permit. They will send the entire packet of forms, requirements, etc, to you at no charge... even include an extra set of fingerpring cards

Hmmmm, thought the federal laws prohibited the carry of firearms loaded and ready to go when crossing state lines? It was my impression that they had to be unloaded, securely encased, with ammo in a different place, etc. when crossing state lines.

I hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
    Hmmmm, thought the federal laws prohibited the carry of firearms loaded and ready to go when crossing state lines? It was my impression that they had to be unloaded, securely encased, with ammo in a different place, etc. when crossing state lines.

I hope I am wrong.
    You are. For instance, if I have a South Carolina carry permit and a New Hampshire carry permit as well, I can drive from Westminster, SC into Toccoa, GA and back and forth while carrying with no issues. My SC CCW covers me in SC, and the NH CCW covers me in GA. The issue is one of state law, you have to follow the law of the particular state you are in.

A loaded Rifle is NOT legal in all States except NY, he's just been lucky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12