Should A CCW weapon Be "Completely" Hidden? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should A CCW weapon Be "Completely" Hidden?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    You are right about Hobos post, but this guy was from Michigan, not SC,?
    Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    HP - it seems that you proved Rocket's point by posting this post...
    It's called thread hijacking, and people with poor social skills do it all the time. They don't even realize they are doing it. Probably still doesn't. To him, the issue is more about being right than adressing the OP's question.

concealed

I believe the word concealed speaks volumes. And in a earlier post check with your states AG governing CCW and you should then become well informed

4. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Since open carry is legal in MI I would say that you don't really have to worry about it...printing, partially concealed, fully open...can change at a whim...

MI Open Carry
    About the only on topic answer to the question so far!

Wear your gun however you choose to, in Michigan.

I might also add, ON TOPIC:
    http://www.opencarry.org/mi.html

Michigan

Summary
    Michigan is a traditional open carry state. Open carry is more common in rural areas. You may NOT open carry in a car without a permit. However, Michigan recognizes the resident permits of all 50 states.
    Your Michigan permit gives you the OPTION of concealing, not a requirement. Just like having a driver's license gives you the OPTION of driving a car, but does not take away the ability to ride a bicycle or walk.

5. Assuming you are licensed in said state, I do not believe that you would automatically get into " trouble" just because someone calls the police and says that there is a man with a gun. I am sure the dispatcher would first ask " is he threatening anyone?" . My brother once ( a decade ago) left the Coldwater, Mich. Elias Bros. Big Boy and started driving into town. He then spots a cruiser tailing him. Then another. He pulls into a shopping center and spots a third cruiser. He pulls over, gets out and identifies himself as an Indiana police officer. All was good. Sometimes things just happen. Obviously he got made by a hoplophobic busy body. Stay out of police states and do your best to keep your piece covered and your powder dry. NH

I believe the original questions was:

Should A CCW weapon Be "Completely" Hidden?
    and it was posted in the Concealed Carry Discussion forum. Therefore I don't think that the general discussion of what is concealment in the different states is that much off topic. Now the OP did state that he was going to take the CCW course in the near future and that he had been looking over the laws for MI so we could assume that he was referring to MI laws. However as some pointed out that in MI once you have your CCW it does not matter whether you gun in concealed or not which technically does not answer the question asked. What does it mean for your weapon to be concealed?

As others have pointed out that the definition of concealed does vary from state to state. In MI in you have a CCW then your weapon does not have to be concealed but how about if you do not have a CCW? Can you carry at all and if so how "open" does the weapon have to be. This does cause some problems as I have seen discussions about even facing the wrong way so that the weapon is hidden by the body may lead to a concealment charge. I am not saying that it will only that some have said it may.

In some states printing is a problem but not in others and there are other variations that if you decide to travel with your gun you need to be aware of that and not go by MI laws. The OP even made reference to the "outline" problem. NAA has stopped selling the belt buckle holster for its mini revolver as some states have ruled it as a concealed weapon although it is in plain view. Therefore the way the OP was made and the fact that it was in the general forum instead of MI I don't see that mosts of the posts were and did lead to a discussion of differences in the definition of concealed which everyone should be aware of.

Going to be taking a CCW class in the near future to get my CCW license. Have been looking over the rules & regulations that the State Of Michigan has concerning a CCW license and carrying a handgun.......cannot find anything on how visible the handgun needs to be.....a couple people have told me that your not supposed to even see the "outline" of the handgun underneath your clothing when carrying......can someone please comment on this....thanks
    Hey- I'm a new kid on the block here with my two cents. I live in Michigan, and have a CCW. Honestly, I open carry about 75% of the time, and the other 25% of the time, I'm not concerned with how fully hidden it is. Possessing a CCW in the state of MI allows for that option, and believe me, I use it. This being an OC state, the only concern you should have is if your sidearm accidentally becomes partially (or fully) hidden, and you do *not yet* have your CCW. Once you've obtained that permit, there is no recommendation one way or the other. You're in the clear. I will just reiterate this once more- until you get that CCW permit, make sure your sidearm does not become disguised or hidden, and that you remember to unload and properly store the firearm while transporting it in a vehicle. OC does NOT APPLY in any vehicle in Michigan. The law regards vehicles as *concealment*.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foriegn enemy." -James Madison

Thats one of the problems of the world, somebody always feels the need to correct somebody else, even though they themselves do not really know the correct answer, Soundhd asked questions about a CC permit I should have known to say in the first place, when he takes his permit class the instuctor will tell him, what he needs to know, legal wise, and probably make suggestions, even if not law he will know the correct way to do things in there state, I do not know Michigans specific laws on the subject, but what I do know is the states that are concealed carry, and your permit says concealed carry permit then conceal it period, it should not be visable to the casual glance, if your permit says handguncarry permit, then you can do what you want, conceal, partly conceal, or open, legaly it does not matter, but most time your instuctor will say its best to keep it concealed

I simply told him the way the law is upheld here in Michigan. When he obtains a CCW, he has the option to conceal or OC. It is HIS CHOICE. There is NO LAW in the state of MI that states that since he now has a CCW, he must conceal. MI is a full OC state, and obtaining a CCW simply means an individual now has the choice to conceal the firearm on his person and while in a vehicle, as opposed to only being able to carry on your own private property, or when on foot. OC in MI only allows for *vehicular* transportation of said firearm if unloaded and in a trunk/out of arm's reach.

I, for one, enjoy OC'ing much more than concealing, but I also greatly appreciate having the option to conceal at any given time without question.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foriegn enemy." -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by 72cinjin View Post
    I simply told him the way the law is upheld here in Michigan. When he obtains a CCW, he has the option to conceal or OC. It is HIS CHOICE. There is NO LAW in the state of MI that states that since he now has a CCW, he must conceal. MI is a full OC state, and obtaining a CCW simply means an individual now has the choice to conceal the firearm on his person and while in a vehicle, as opposed to only being able to carry on your own private property, or when on foot. OC in MI only allows for *vehicular* transportation of said firearm if unloaded and in a trunk/out of arm's reach.

I, for one, enjoy OC'ing much more than concealing, but I also greatly appreciate having the option to conceal at any given time without question.
    Sorry 72 definatly did not mean to in clude you in my prev post

Unless I am wrong "and I could be" Ohio's OC law sounds like the state of Michigan. My CCW allows me to conceal/carry my weapon anywhere that is legal, and transport/carry in my vehicle and my motorcycles. When I have my LCP with me it is fully concealed and out of site, when I wear my Glock it is typically holstered open in the car and sometimes open on the bikes. When I wear my 3/4 motorcycle coat and carry the Glock, sometimes a bit of the holster sticks out of the bottom of my coat........I would imagine that I am still legal, but am unsure?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast