Should A CCW weapon Be "Completely" Hidden?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should A CCW weapon Be "Completely" Hidden?

1. Should A CCW weapon Be "Completely" Hidden?

Going to be taking a CCW class in the near future to get my CCW license. Have been looking over the rules & regulations that the State Of Michigan has concerning a CCW license and carrying a handgun.......cannot find anything on how visible the handgun needs to be.....a couple people have told me that your not supposed to even see the "outline" of the handgun underneath your clothing when carrying......can someone please comment on this....thanks

I would suggest posting this in the Michigan forum for the most specific (and probably most knowledgable) replies.

Never can be too safe, I felt odd when I wore clothes that would outline my firearm, so I went up a size in my tshirts. You might have to dress around the gun a bit. But i haven't found anything either concerning those specifics. Just play it safe and make sure nothing sticks out.

Since open carry is legal in MI I would say that you don't really have to worry about it...printing, partially concealed, fully open...can change at a whim...

MI Open Carry

In SC the Gun has to be concealed. If someone knows that you have a Gun it is not concealed. ............

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    In SC the Gun has to be concealed. If someone knows that you have a Gun it is not concealed. ............
    Well, that's just about as incorrect a statement as possible.

23-31-210(6) specifically states;

"Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS

"Hidden from public view" means you can't see it, not that someone knows you you have it or that it prints. Printing in SC is absolutely okay, though perhaps not recommended.

"In normal wear of clothing" means it has to be out of sight as your clothes would normally br worn. If you reach up to take a box of the top shelf at Wal-Mart and your piece is exposed, that is not normal wear and is not illegal. If you walk over a sewer grate like Marilyn Monroe and your skirt blows up and exposes your CC gun on your garter belt, that is also not normal wear and is not unlawful.

P.S. You edited your post while I was typing mine which drastically changed its content. My statements still stand.

8. I've been carrying concealed for 3½ decades now. I figure that if even a pro can tell I'm carrying, then I've screwed up (I'm not saying I've never screwed up, only giving my definition). "Concealed" means exactly that. I favor "deep concealment" over "fast access," though I can change my dress code as the situation warrants.

If you carry concealed, then nobody should know about it -- except that possible attacker who learns of it when he sees your muzzle flash.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

I think if Oldbanjo walked over a sewer grate like Marilyn Monroe and had his skirt blown up, he'd have a lot more problems then just printing.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Well, that's just about as incorrect a statement as possible.

23-31-210(6) specifically states;

"Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS

"Hidden from public view" means you can't see it, not that someone knows you you have it or that it prints. Printing in SC is absolutely okay, though perhaps not recommended.

"In normal wear of clothing" means it has to be out of sight as your clothes would normally br worn. If you reach up to take a box of the top shelf at Wal-Mart and your piece is exposed, that is not normal wear and is not illegal. If you walk over a sewer grate like Marilyn Monroe and your skirt blows up and exposes your CC gun on your garter belt, that is also not normal wear and is not unlawful.

P.S. You edited your post while I was typing mine which drastically changed its content. My statements still stand.
    Hey dude even if your right or not, why is it just about every time you post its to correct somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Hey dude even if your right or not, why is it just about every time you post its to correct somebody?
    The premise of your post is factually incorrect, but that's besides the point.

I believe that a discussion based on facts, especially when it concerns the law, is better than simply posting ignorant and uninformed rants. Note that I include citations whenever possible. You obviously disagree and prefer to be... Well, you know. Good for you.

Dude.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast