One in the Chamber? - Page 11

View Poll Results: Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

428 88.80%
  • No

54 11.20%
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the Chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    This question has been done to death. if you get 100 responses 87 of them will be people affirming that, yes, you should carry your weapon fully loaded. 3 will be people who don't carry one in the chamber for "safety". The final 10 will be people telling the 3 that they are idiots .

Excellent! Your statical analysis is right on!

Quote Originally Posted by smichaeltownsend View Post
    Even in our wild west days the gunslingers had to cock their weapon to fire.
    So did the other guy... It kinda evened the odds.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Quote Originally Posted by smichaeltownsend View Post
    I find it interesting that so many of you are so ready to rock. How many on this site have actually been in a situation requiring a quick draw to a trigger pull? Even in our wild west days the gunslingers had to cock their weapon to fire.
    I've been in one situation where had the badguy not bailed when he saw the gun I would have had my ass handed to me because I was carrying w/ an empty chamber "for safety" and forgot to chamber a round because I panicked.

I willl never make that mistake again
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by shermr View Post
    If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber you may be carrying the wrong gun, you may not understand the safety features engineered into your gun, or you don't trust yourself or your ability to produce your weapon without it somehow firing before you want it to...
    While I may not "FULLY" agree with shemr's "the wrong gun" statement, it certainly could be the "wrong gun for you".
    (I think that may be what was meant.)

I suggest if anyone doesn't feel comfortable carrying "+1" they should consider proper training and assessment from a professional.

...Carrying the quality self defense handgun and practice should lead to confidence that will allow you to carry a handgun that is loaded and ready. All firearms require safe handling at all times and the best safety is between your ears.
    I "do" agree 100% with ^^^ this ^^^ statement.

-

6. For criminals are the only ones who can chose whether or not to carry a gun loaded or not due to them being the ones who are going to commit the crime.
    To quote one of my last CCL instructors, "Tyrone cocked his before he left home".

7. Quote Originally Posted by smichaeltownsend View Post
    Even in our wild west days the gunslingers had to cock their weapon to fire.
    By that reasoning than you should still be riding a horse, correct?

Last I checked you just pull the trigger on a revolver to shoot no cocking needed. Or thats how it was done in the westerns I watched growing up. They didn't have semi-automatic handguns in the westerns I watched.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Last I checked you just pull the trigger on a revolver to shoot no cocking needed. Or thats how it was done in the westerns I watched growing up. They didn't have semi-automatic handguns in the westerns I watched.
    Single-Action only revolvers: Watch the support hand on the below video. Single action only revolvers are not capable of cycling themselves. Although SA/DA were available simultaneously for a bit during the 'old-west' hollywood chose to emphasize the Single-Action Only revolvers, so it is odd that you were seeing single action/double action (SA/DA) firearms in old westerns.

From Wikipedia:
    Single-action
    A single-action (SA) trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled.[1] Almost all rifles and shotguns use this type of trigger.[1] Single-action semi-automatic pistols require that the hammer be cocked before the first round can be fired, although most designs cock the hammer as part of the loading process (e.g., the act of inserting the magazine and operating the slide mechanism to chamber the first round also cocks the hammer or striker into the ready-to-fire position).[2] Once the first round is fired the automatic movement (recoil) of the slide cocks the hammer for each subsequent shot. The pistol, once cocked, can be fired by pulling the trigger once for each shot until the magazine is empty. The M1911, Browning Hi-Power, and Springfield XD are single-action pistols that function in this manner.[2] Single action revolvers require the hammer to be cocked by hand every time the weapon is fired.

YouTube - Bob Munden World fastest Gun Record
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

10. ClearSightTactical,
    While Bob Munden's skill at fast draw is undoubtedly impressive, a better example of fast shooting of a Single Action Army would be CAS shooters using a 2 hand hold and cocking the gun with their support hand's thumb. Fanning like Mr Munden was doing in your video requires the gun to be set up specifically for that technique. Often, it includes a modification of the hammer spur along with several internal changes to deal with the stresses that are placed on the action by the slapping of the hammer by the off hand.

Here's a link to one example:

YouTube - Deuce Stevens World Record Pistol Run

And another

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...eature=related

I carry a round in the chamber of my concealed carry piece for the same reason I keep air in my spare tire. If I ever need it, I'm gonna need it ready to go right then and there, not after I get done fiddling with it.

I always carry loaded- meaning one in the pipe and the mag at full capacity. Oh, BTW, I also use a holster designed for the weapon I choose to carry. I have a Glock and would never dream of carrying that type of handgun in my waistband. That is just asking for trouble.

Carry it safe and hope you never need to use it!

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast