One in the Chamber? - Page 18

View Poll Results: Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

428 88.80%
  • No

54 11.20%
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the Chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by dumpo60 View Post
    That is correct. I was on a motorcycle trip two weeks ago will a group of friends. We stopped to eat and parked in back of resturant. I was carry at the time as always. And before we knew it a man had rode up to us on a bicycle. He wanted money and had no weapon (thank God). My point is it happened so quick. If he had a weapon he could have had all our money. I would not have had time to get my weapon, much less put a round in it.

Elaborate please, did you haveto pull your weapon? How was the situation resolved?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by dumpo60 View Post
    That is correct. I was on a motorcycle trip two weeks ago will a group of friends. We stopped to eat and parked in back of resturant. I was carry at the time as always. And before we knew it a man had rode up to us on a bicycle. He wanted money and had no weapon (thank God). My point is it happened so quick. If he had a weapon he could have had all our money. I would not have had time to get my weapon, much less put a round in it.
    Youre weapon is more like a seat belt.
    Its going to help you in a lot of cases, and not at all in others.
    Sure a seat belt works well in a small collision, but if you slide off the road and over a 150ft cliff or get hit head on by a train you may as well not even bother.

Ive got my draw time down to about 1 second, but that certainly doesnt take a lot of possible scenarios into account.
    I wear a seatbelt every time and I carry every time.
    One day my belt may save my life...one day my gun may do the same.
    Or maybe neither will.
    But I'll use the tools I have just the same.

Juat wanted to add some food for thought. In my CC class the instructor did a demonstration. Using a volunteer from the class and a dummy gun, the volunteer placed the "gun" iwb where he would normaly carry, then from 15 feet away, the instructor acted out the part of a BG asking if the volunteer had the correct time. Before the volunteer could get his hand on the gun, the "BG" crossed the space between and using his index finger as a "knife" planted it firmly in the volunteer's chest. Then the volunteer moved the gun to his back pocket and had his hand on the grip as they played it out a second time. This time, knowing what was coming, he barely got the gun past his leg coming up before the instructor put the "knife" to his chest again, from 15 feet away. This same volunteer was no newbie. At the range he shot all his qualifying rounds into his target from all three distances and made one hole in the center of the target. You can do what you want, but I carry with one in the pipe.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Yeah Mountain Man, I have seen the same thing so I never let people get within 20 ft of me in public (like in a parking lot) without checking them carefully. And IMO a gun that has no round in the chamber is not really a loaded gun. Good Post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
    Juat wanted to add some food for thought. In my CC class the instructor did a demonstration. Using a volunteer from the class and a dummy gun, the volunteer placed the "gun" iwb where he would normaly carry, then from 15 feet away, the instructor acted out the part of a BG asking if the volunteer had the correct time. Before the volunteer could get his hand on the gun, the "BG" crossed the space between and using his index finger as a "knife" planted it firmly in the volunteer's chest. Then the volunteer moved the gun to his back pocket and had his hand on the grip as they played it out a second time. This time, knowing what was coming, he barely got the gun past his leg coming up before the instructor put the "knife" to his chest again, from 15 feet away. This same volunteer was no newbie. At the range he shot all his qualifying rounds into his target from all three distances and made one hole in the center of the target. You can do what you want, but I carry with one in the pipe.
    Seems to me that scenario calls for keeping your weapon in your shooting hand at all times One in the pipe in a gun you can't get out in time is like not having a gun at all. Just keep it lock, loaded, and in your hand.

And keep that finger on the trigger too. You can't afford to be wasting time getting your finger in position. You think bad guys keep their finger off the trigger? If all law abiding citizens kept their fingers off the triggers, then only criminals will have guns in their hands with their fingers on the triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Elaborate please, did you haveto pull your weapon? How was the situation resolved?
    No, I did'nt have to pull my weapon. He just needed money. He said his house burned down and he did not have any money for food. We all gave him a couple of bucks. My point is, he was on us so fast it would have be difficult to draw a weapon and put a round in the chamber. It was our fault, we all needed to be aware of our surroundings. I was not expecting anyone to approach us. Could have been a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Seems to me that scenario calls for keeping your weapon in your shooting hand at all times One in the pipe in a gun you can't get out in time is like not having a gun at all. Just keep it lock, loaded, and in your hand.

And keep that finger on the trigger too. You can't afford to be wasting time getting your finger in position. You think bad guys keep their finger off the trigger? If all law abiding citizens kept their fingers off the triggers, then only criminals will have guns in their hands with their fingers on the triggers.
    That scenario just proves to me three things, Keep my gun as ready as is realistically possible, practice practice practice, and above all else train my self with this one thing in mind,The gun is only one tool, my brain is my weapon

Definately....I carry both concealed and open with one in the chamber.

10. IMO, if you have a decent holster with nothing snagging than you should have no reason not to have a carry pistol loaded. I would say that I would want at least a 4 1/2# trigger pull though, anything less is inviting trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by advw View Post
    Question, for the folks that carry pistols with no thumb safety, do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Is there anyone that does not have a round in the chamber when they carry? I don't have one in there for everyone else's safety just in case something were to happen, but I am just curious to what all of you do.
    Somebody has probably already said it, but I do carry with one in the chamber "for everyone else's safety, in case something were to happen".
    Billy

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast