One in the Chamber? - Page 19

View Poll Results: Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

428 88.80%
  • No

54 11.20%
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the Chamber?

One in the chamber with my S&W Sigma 40. The heavy trigger is my favorite safety. It doesn't have any external safety and i feel safe because it would be really hard to accidentally discharge such a heavy trigger.

If i was carry a Glock it would be more scary, since the trigger pull is lighter with the same lack of external safety.

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    One in the chamber with my S&W Sigma 40. The heavy trigger is my favorite safety. It doesn't have any external safety and i feel safe because it would be really hard to accidentally discharge such a heavy trigger.

If i was carry a Glock it would be more scary, since the trigger pull is lighter with the same lack of external safety.
    It makes no difference. Even with an external safety by the time your trigger finger made it to the trigger that safety would be long off. Trigger pull weight doesn't change the fact that if you were to "accidentally" put your finger on the trigger AND pull....your gun would fire. My EDC is a G26, my house gun is a Sigma 9, I pull the Sigma's trigger just as easily as the Glocks because I know it's heavier and automatically compensate for it. People that are afraid of Glocks accidentally firing need to reevaluate their method of carry and possibly there safety training. I'm a firm believer thats there's no such thing as an accidentally discharge, only a negligent one. As far as the "what if somebody gets my gun away from me" thing. Again, question your method of carry, and possibly training.

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post

The external safety is right between your ears
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

my four cents

This question has no answer. Some people will never carry a round in the chamber because they are afraid the gun will somehow go off on it's own, go off before they are ready, or they don't trust themselves to carry a "loaded gun". There is a news story out about a Wisconsin father who accidentally shot his son in the stomach while cleaning his handgun. Details of the story have not been released, but most of us know you cannot clean a loaded gun because the barrel is blocked. I've heard people say that if you handle a gun often enough you will have an accidental discharge. I can't say that I buy into this theory because it's how you handle a gun that causes it to fire, not the frequency. I think of my handgun as safety equipment....as such it must be availalble for use as quickly as possible, be ready for use without unnecessary preperation, and I must know how to use it properly and effectively. I am not going to give anyone advice, if you are afraid your handgun will go off unexpectedly please carry it unloaded, on safe, in a retention holster that is deeply concealed; but I don't want to be around in case you need it. If you are afaid to carry a loaded weapon, I am afraid to
    be around when you try to rack the slide....it might go off unaimed.
    My Rules:
    1. guns are always loaded
    2. you should be confident that your gun is loaded
    3. you should know how to make your loaded gun fire,
    you should know how to make your loaded gun NOT fire
    4. you need to know how and when to use your loaded gun
    5. if your are afraid to carry a loaded gun don't carry a gun -
    see rule 1

To semi quote Rooster Cogburn in True Grit.." I find that if my gun is not loaded and cocked it will not fire." I know he carried a revolver but still one of my favorite movie lines.

I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 concealed and one in the pipe.
    In any situation I can: Say nothing..which is cowardly, Lie..which is immoral or tell the truth..which will upset people.

7. Home >> Dr. Ignatius Piazza >> Front Sight’s Monday Blog: Why You Carry a Loaded Gun…

Front Sight’s Monday Blog: Why You Carry a Loaded Gun…
    April 4th, 2011

I am often asked if I think it is safe or smart to carry a gun with a live cartridge in the chamber.

My answer is, “Yes, a live round in the chamber of a modern handgun, coupled with strict adherence to the Four, Universal Safety Rules is safe and smart.”

Safe, because as long as you keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target, the gun will not fire the loaded round in the chamber.

Smart, because when you need a gun to save your life or the lives of your loved ones, FRACTIONS of seconds count. At that moment you need a loaded gun, RIGHT NOW!

Under the stress of a lethal encounter, you do not want to be hampered or slowed in your response to someone trying to kill you, by having to chamber a live round into your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by smichaeltownsend View Post
    I find it interesting that so many of you are so ready to rock. How many on this site have actually been in a situation requiring a quick draw to a trigger pull? Even in our wild west days the gunslingers had to cock their weapon to fire.
    One thing to remember on this is that a single action revolver can be drawn, cocked and fired with one hand. Chambering a round in a semi-auto requires both hands, which may or may not be available.

9. i have a m&p 40 compact i carry loaded and one racked in the pipe at all times never an issuemost of your holsters are covered over the trigger. if you dont carry with one in the hole leave the pistol at home and carry a paper weight

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I agree to a point . There is nothing intrinsically unsafe about carrying a modern firearm w/ a round in the chamber. Therefore the problem isn’t in the gun it’s in the OP’s level of training. So, the OP does need to learn (train) to overcome his fear and carry the weapon properly.

IOW yes, he needs to be told to carry one in the chamber
    +1, If your afraid to carry a loaded gun, you shouldn't be carrying a gun. Proper safety training will fix that, If your uncomfortable with guns with no manual safety buy one that has one. We carry guns on the assumption that we may need them, so ASSUME you'll be fighting off the bad guy while reaching for your gun!

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    One thing to remember on this is that a single action revolver can be drawn, cocked and fired with one hand. Chambering a round in a semi-auto requires both hands, which may or may not be available.
    Depends on how well the person is trained and the gun. I can put a round in the chamber of my Taurus PT 1911 one handed. Same with the Kimber 1911 ARF and S&W 645. It actually is something everyone should train for if you use a semi-auto.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast