One in the Chamber? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

428 88.80%
  • No

54 11.20%
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the Chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Interesting. After putting one in the chamber, I remove the magazine, replace the one that was chambered and re-insert.
    Is there any better way?
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Is there any better way?
    not better but the first gun I bought only came with one magazine so I had to rack then release the mag load it back up and place it back in the gun. To get full magazine capacity + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    There is no worse feeling then needing your gun and remembering you left it somewhere else. If you know of something worse please let me know.
    Squeezing that trigger and hearing "CLICK"
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Is there any better way?
    dude it seems like you are a very confrontational person. after reading all your posts on here seem like you have a "chip" why is that??

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    <snip> They’re looking at Glocks and the problem that they’re having is that she can’t work the slide on any of them. <snip>
    This is a fairly common problem for women. A technique that works well is to have her hold the gun laterally/crosswise in front of her. With her shooting hand on the grip, palm grip the slide with the opposite hand. Push the two hands toward each other to rack the slide. Basically, the same movement as those isometric chest presses where you press your palms against one another. A lot of women who can't rack the slide in the conventional fashion, can rack the slide using this technique.
    Politics compromises principles.
    Doing what's right, means doing what may not be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Squeezing that trigger and hearing "CLICK"
    Sorry Treo, you are correct that would definitely feel worse then not having your weapon when needed. Due to having your gun and expecting it to go bang and hearing a click means that you are still there and probably standing out in the open. Instead of knowing you don't have it and running for safety.

One in the chamber, always. Whether it's on my body as my EDC or the HD gun in the safe when I'm not wearing my EDC - which is rare, I generally wear it at home until ready to go to bed.

And my EDC is an XD-40SC - which has a grip safety, not a conventional thumb safety.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

Telling someone they should carry with one in the chamber when they have specifically stated they are not comfortable for safety reasons to do so is just not very good advice in my opinion.

hatchet

Quote Originally Posted by hatchet19 View Post
    Telling someone they should carry with one in the chamber when they have specifically stated they are not comfortable for safety reasons to do so is just not very good advice in my opinion.

hatchet
    I agree to a point . There is nothing intrinsically unsafe about carrying a modern firearm w/ a round in the chamber. Therefore the problem isnít in the gun itís in the OPís level of training. So, the OP does need to learn (train) to overcome his fear and carry the weapon properly.

IOW yes, he needs to be told to carry one in the chamber
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I own two handguns specifically for this purpose. My first is the full size M&P .40 cal. Many might not be used to a gun with so many built in safety features. It takes a comfortable grip and trigger pull to get this bad boy to go off. The hinged safety in the trigger is great. A bump, snag.. etc will not set this gun off with a round in the chamber. When handling the gun... always use the safe technique when not firing and run your index finger over the trigger area on the slide. Don't ever handle the gun with your finger near the trigger. Also with the M&P the gun will not fire with no magazine in the firearm. This is another built in safety feature in case of a hand to hand combat situation. The trigger pull is great and smooth compared to the XD etc..

My other is a Sig Sauer P250 Compact. Still big enough, and is double action only. This might also be a comfortable solution for some as it has a rather stiff and long trigger pull (which I like). This to me also makes it safe... especially with a paddle holster which guards the trigger.

Rent a few at the range... get a feel for a few. What ever you like to fire the best... is usually the safest gun for you. Keep it in the chamber. At first I was a little uncomfortable with the thought.. but I started racking a round every time I carry. You get used to it. But don't ever get too used to it.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast