One in the Chamber? - Page 6

View Poll Results: Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

428 88.80%
  • No

54 11.20%
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the Chamber?

Also with the M&P the gun will not fire with no magazine in the firearm. This is another built in safety feature in case of a hand to hand combat situation.

im sorry but i have to dissagree on this. i have a full size m&p in .40 s&w and on the slide mine states "it can be fired with no mag in wepon" or somthing to the point. Your gun may not fire with out the mag, but you cant say all m&p's will do the same.

I don't have one in there for everyone else's safety just in case something were to happen, but I am just curious to what all of you do.
    What's "something"? That sounds pretty foreboding. Do you have to worry about weevils getting into your holster or something?

If you're that worried about your gun going off on its own, consider getting one that's not presumed defective. They can't be that expensive. My mom has had a .22 revolver since the early 1980s. It's old. I think it's a Charter Arms, but it has never gone off unintentionally, not one single time.

Hey, I'll trade you a super-reliable revolver for that M&P.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    it has never gone off unintentionally, not one single time.
    That's only because the trigger never got pulled by mistake.

one up the pipe

I carry the S&W Sigma 40 with crimson laser with one in the pipe. As stated multiple times you probably won't have time to rack the slide before trouble is all over you. The M&P is perfectly safe to carry this way

I carry my Glock with one in the chamber. Why would you carry it any other way?

When it comes down to it, it's truly a matter of personal preference. Some like to feel "at-the-ready", some like the feeling of "being safer". Again, for me, it comes down to preference, and what my current situation is. I will say this- if for any reason I had to draw to protect myself, what has just transpired that the situation arose so quickly that I had to take that sudden action? In the half a second or less it takes me to rack the slide, hear the lovely "snap" as the round is chambered, and point my barrel at said foe, am I really in that much more danger? As well versed as I am in my shooting and handling of my sidearm, I say no. But then again, every situation is unique. I was standing in my favorite gas station once having coffee whilst shooting the breeze with the cashier. A group of "viable threats" suddenly ambled in together- loud, obnoxious, cursing loudly, etc...you get the point. Without hesitation, I went to the bathroom, (I was in there before the last "hoodlum" entered the doors) chambered a round and returned to my previous position. Some would say, "Well what if they burst into the place shooting, and you didn't have time to go to the bathroom or be discreet?" It's simple. I have always been able to chamber a round *AS* I am pulling up the weapon to point. It literally takes the same amount of time to pull it out with one hand and aim, as it does to pull it out with one hand, rack the slide with my left on the way up to aim at said target. I have practiced this countless times, and I simply feel much more comfortable "unchambered". It's still simply a matter a preference, it seems. :)

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foriegn enemy." -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by 72cinjin View Post
    I have always been able to chamber a round *AS* I am pulling up the weapon to point. It literally takes the same amount of time to pull it out with one hand and aim, as it does to pull it out with one hand, rack the slide with my left on the way up to aim at said target. I have practiced this countless times, and I simply feel much more comfortable "unchambered". It's still simply a matter a preference, it seems. :)
    Just because you always have doesn't mean you always will.

Try getting a round in the chamber while using your off hand to push the wife ( or kids, or life partner or significant other) out of the line of fire. Or with your off hand in a dog's mouth. Or engaged in fending off a bad guy who just blindsided you.

If you aren't comfortable w/ one up your training is lacking
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

If you aren't comfortable w/ one up your training is lacking
    I *am* the wife, and, I'll just have to politely agree to disagree with you on this one. But thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. Cheers.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foriegn enemy." -James Madison

Whatever you do be consistent. I went totally with Revolvers because every Auto that I had was different. I saw a Video where two BG's came in a Jewelry store and the owner pulled his Gun first but forgot to remove the safety, he got shot twice and the BG came back to kill him but his Gun jammed. The owner was lucky, he lived, he would have been a lot better off with a Revolver, or more training.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    I saw a Video where two BG's came in a Jewelry store and the owner pulled his Gun first but forgot to remove the safety,....
    Jewelry store owner? Condition 1 on the job, no doubt. The problem I see with this never ending debate is all the wannabe Rambos walking around in public thinking like they are in combat or something, waiting for the SHTF. That is just paranoid, and opens the door to unanticipated results in many scenarios, IMHO.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast