One in the Chamber? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

428 88.80%
  • No

54 11.20%
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the Chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Jewelry store owner? Condition 1 on the job, no doubt. The problem I see with this never ending debate is all the wannabe Rambos walking around in public thinking like they are in combat or something, waiting for the SHTF. That is just paranoid, and opens the door to unanticipated results in many scenarios, IMHO.

The vast majority of the Rambos out there are just wannabes. A lot of talk and chest-thumping bravado but they'll turn tail and run when the SHTF just like those of us who aren't afraid to admit it. And they'll prbably be better off for it.

That being said, I always carry in condition 1. Both my CC pistols (LCP, HK P2000 SK LEM) are DAO so I feel very comfortable this way. If I should ever have to fire on somebody I want to save every fraction of a second that I possibly can. My guns are to be used as a last resort, not as a first option like some of the (in their own minds) Hollywood action-heroes that stalk these boards.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    The vast majority of the Rambos out there are just wannabes. A lot of talk and chest-thumping bravado but they'll turn tail and run when the SHTF just like those of us who aren't afraid to admit it. And they'll prbably be better off for it.

That being said, I always carry in condition 1. Both my CC pistols (LCP, HK P2000 SK LEM) are DAO so I feel very comfortable this way. If I should ever have to fire on somebody I want to save every fraction of a second that I possibly can. My guns are to be used as a last resort, not as a first option like some of the (in their own minds) Hollywood action-heroes that stalk these boards.

Damn those internet tough guys damn them all to HELLLLLLL!!!!!!
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

4. Quote Originally Posted by 72cinjin View Post
    Some like to feel "at-the-ready", some like the feeling of "being safer".
    I carry a gun for my safety. Therefore, the less "at the ready" my gun is, the less "safer" that I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by 72cinjin View Post
    In the half a second or less it takes me to rack the slide, hear the lovely "snap" as the round is chambered, and point my barrel at said foe, am I really in that much more danger?
    And what if that lovely "snap" sound is followed by a "click" when you pulled the trigger? Can you guarantee with certainty that in the heat of a self-defense moment the round is going to chamber properly 100% of the time? Where would you rather deal with a malfunction - in the relative safety of your house or when you are trying to defend yourself?

Personally, I like having the comfort of being able to chamber the round, observe the round being chambered, open the slide slightly to observe proper extractor operation, double checking the slide is in full battery by observing the back of the slide is even with the top of the frame, and ensuring that the gun is cocked internally by placing the safety on and off. That removes 90% of the chance of a malfunction during the all important first shot. And I prefer the ability to deal with a jam or malfunction with all the time afforded to me to be able to do so without the possibility of a criminal taking violent action against me in the next couple of seconds.

Your assumptions of being able to rack the slide and fire in the time needed to do so are based upon two very important unknowns. Can you guarantee that you will have a free hand available? Can you guarantee that there will not be a mechanical malfunction during the chambering process? If I am pulling my gun in a self defense situation, the odds are already against me. Why would I purposely introduce even more odds against me than those beyond my control?

Like you said, though, it's a personal preference. How you carry your gun has no affect on me or my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Damn those internet tough guys damn them all to HELLLLLLL!!!!!!
    Very Heston-esque. Nice
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Carry how you feel is best for you, since I am very familiar with my colt, I carry cocked and locked, as stated before, gun is for my and my family's protection, avoiding having to pull the weapon in the first place means you have avoided the issue, if I do have to pull the weapon I do not wish to have to rack the slide. Since I rotate my mags and unload them for cleaning, weak springs is not an issue, has never been an issue anyway. My dad had a 45 that was never unloaded and it fired anytime the trigger was pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Very Heston-esque. Nice
    You need to get you a real tough guy quote for your sig line. You can borrow mine when I'm not using it if you want
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Since I rotate my mags and unload them for cleaning, weak springs is not an issue, has never been an issue anyway.
    Your magazine springs will last longer and wear less if you leave them alone than if cycle them over and over/ Cycling the spring is what wears it out not leaving it under a static load

Cool Man shoots self in testicles.

I carry a Glock 23 and have been undecided about whether to carry with one in the chamber. I read an old newspaper article today dated 30 May 2010 from a Seattle newspaper that resolved two problems for me. Seems like this fellow went to Lowe's in a Seattle suburb and was carrying concealed in his waistband in the front of his pants. The weapon accidentally discharged and he shot himself in the testicles and had some injuries to his leg and foot. To me, that meant, (1) DO NOT carry with a loaded chamber and, (2) DO NOT put a loaded gun in your crotch! My gun is on my hip and it will stay there without a round in the chamber. I feel like I can rack a round in rather rapidly and choose not to live dangerously. I know a lot of people will disagree with this but that is their perogative. I still have a use for those little hangy down parts and definitely do not want to lose them in such a manner!!

I have a XD 9 subcompact and am relatively new to the whole thing (just got my permit a few weeks ago). Since I am not in an area where there's normally much crime going on at all I have so far carried without a round chambered just to get comfortable with hauling the gun around at all. I realize this won't be much use in a surprise situation so I intend to get used to chambering one. The XD has a palm and trigger safety and I have never heard of either malfunctioning and gazillions of people carry Glocks with just the trigger safety. If you have the gun in a holster even if you leave it in your car (which I do when I get to work) there should be zero possibility for it going off. Makes sense?

11. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Seattle newspaper that resolved two problems for me. Seems like this fellow went to Lowe's in a Seattle suburb and was carrying concealed in his waistband in the front of his pants. The weapon accidentally discharged and he shot himself in the testicles and had some injuries to his leg and foot.
    I respect your decision to carry the way you feel comfortable and confident, however I'd urge you to reconsider the source of information before coming to a conclusion.

I'm very leery of accepting any main stream news regarding firearms (or really anything..) as there seems to be an agenda.

The weapon did not accidentally discharge, the person carrying may have accidentally caused the discharge but I highly doubt the weapon caused the AD (Negligent-Discharge from this point forward).

I've taken several "Israeli Combat Shooting" courses and think its a good system. However, I do not have the desire (motivation) to carry un-chambered and would not dedicate sufficient time in training myself to draw, "cock" assess, fire.

One concern i've had with this system is the potential for failure in close quarters. If my arm movement is restricted (such as by being in close quarter fighting) and I need to deploy my handgun me being restricted in movement either by the BG (Bad Guy) or another obstacle such as being against a wall, a car, etc. I may not be able to cycle the slide thereby rendering my weapon useless, until I can overcome, which may take 0.2 tenths of a second, or may take the rest of my life..

Just my opinion...again carry how you feel comfortable.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast