One in the Chamber? - Page 8

View Poll Results: Do you carry concealed with a round in the chamber?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

428 88.80%
  • No

54 11.20%
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the Chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    ...carrying concealed in his waistband in the front of his pants. The weapon accidentally discharged and he shot himself in the
    There was guy near here last summer shot himself with his Glock unholstering it from a IWB. Some people just refuse to believe it's possible for the trigger to get pulled by mistake or negligence. The safety is between your ears - right, whatever, good for you. No amount of training, knowledge or common sense compensates for the Murphy factor.

If you can handle it, fine. If not fine. Just hope we don't see you or a loved one at the ER with an ND round in ya one of these days.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    There was guy near here last summer shot himself with his Glock unholstering it from a IWB. Some people just refuse to believe it's possible for the trigger to get pulled by mistake or negligence. The safety is between your ears - right, whatever, good for you. No amount of training, knowledge or common sense compensates for the Murphy factor.

If you can handle it, fine. If not fine. Just hope we don't see you or a loved one at the ER with an ND round in ya one of these days.
    I agree that it is entirely possible for a person to accidentally pull the trigger. Rather I believe its entirely possible for a person to intentionally pull the trigger, thinking the weapon is unloaded...

Just not acceptable for a person to claim "It just went off". , all I'm saying...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

I will reiterate right now that anyone can carry however they want; makes no never-mind to me.

However, as in all things, there is a right way and a wrong way. So while you can carry however you want, I think an empty chamber is the wrong way.

Let's step back. I teach martial arts. If I tell a student the proper way to break that cinder brick I'm holding in my hand, they're certainly free to try it however they want regardless of the fact that I told them how to do it with proper technique. So, feel free to break your hand or foot when you do it your way. In this case, I am the instructor, I have been there and done that and have years of experience beyond the early student. Should they not listen when I instruct them on proper technique?

Same thing, here. Every, I mean every instructor I have trained under (quite a few) has noted that proper carry for self-defense is with one in the tube. So, that seems to me to be the right way. Ergo, why would you do it the wrong way?

If, in fact, you're nervous about carrying chambered, then I submit that perhaps more serious training is needed. And all of us should never stop training (not plinking but training).

FWIW.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I've heard a couple of people point out that should you have to unload your weapon for any reason you now have an extra round floating around.

(IMO) not worth the hassle
    I guess that would Barney's bullit

Absolutely!

There is no way that I would carry a pistol without one in the chamber, if I had an Auto, preferable a DA. I actually carry a Ruger SP101, 357Mag, and a 410/45LC Derringer in a shoulder Holster when driving a Van or Motorcycle.

8. Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    There is no way that I would carry a pistol without one in the chamber, if I had an Auto, preferable a DA. I actually carry a Ruger SP101, 357Mag, and a 410/45LC Derringer in a shoulder Holster when driving a Van or Motorcycle.
    I really had you confused with oldgrunt there for a minute. I was thinking, "Now wait just a dang minute, you posted not 5 posts back..... oh wait, never mind."

And to oldgrunt....
    If you are really concerned about that Glock going off all by itself, then why not replace it with a gun with a manual safety? Then you could have the best of both worlds. You could carry a fully loaded gun, and have a manual safety to keep that trigger from being - and I use the following word with much disdain - accidentally pulled.

Ya know (not that anyone cares but just to be honest) I think I must rescind my opinion in the prior post. I've seen video of people trained in "Israeli Draw" and they're pretty damn proficient. It's not for me but it's obviously working for some. However, you better train if you're gonna use this technique, IMO...
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Ya know (not that anyone cares but just to be honest) I think I must rescind my opinion in the prior post. I've seen video of people trained in "Israeli Draw" and they're pretty damn proficient. It's not for me but it's obviously working for some. However, you better train if you're gonna use this technique, IMO...
    My CCW instructor extolled the virtues of the "Israeli Draw" and said "if it's good enough for the Mossad then it's good enough for you". Problem is that I'm not good enough for the Mossad! It might be good for somebody with years of intensive training.....a professional who lives, eats, and breathes personal protection.....but it's not good for me. As one poster stated a while back in this thread - if I pack there's no need to rack!
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

NavyLt you need to put that picture of the girl with the two Auto's to show Oldgrunt how to carry his Guns.

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast