Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit

Sorry gays and gals, I just can't help myself on this one.

This "Printing" thing really gets me.

Someone posted here, or on Cal Guns about printing and I thought it was real good.

It went something like this.

If you are worried about printing try this. Put a standard 25' tape measue in your right front pocket and walk around town. Watch to see how many folks stare at you and your pocket.

I thought this was great. Since I carry a pocket pistol in a holster in my right front pocket I tried it. Believe me, the tape measure just screams from your pocket, 'look at me!'.

Well heck, I didn't notice anyone looking. Then, seeing 2 police cars at Dennys I thought, why not. So in I go, spot the police and walk right past them, pocket side to them. Not even a glance.

I am not worried about "Printing", and that's for sure.

Broadly,Clearsight,it isnt so much the Illinois Law that varies(its pretty clear) its the specific site contract and orders that vary.
    In ILLINOIS,the security guard CAN detain.As we all know pursuant to detention there MUST be a custodial check for weapons and/or anything that could hurt the SO or the detainee.Now typically what the police in Illinois would LIKE to see the guard do is "call and point" and no more that that.Unfortunately that wasnt an option where I was assigned.And,unlike most call and point posts,we were required to stay current on Illinois Law,Housing Law and local municipal ordinances as they applied to Public housing(IE public urination,excess garbage,drinking on public way ect ect.These infractions were written as "tickets" with the fines being levied against the leaseholder as an additional charge on the rent.We didnt use them often but it was a tool available to us.)
    Truthfully,most of my time was spent on roof tops watching drug transactions and forwarding this information to the police.We would occasionally go to the domestic or the gang fight or settle squabbles with tennants and lock up trespassers.Pretty boring stuff for the most part.
    Although we are NOT required to adhere to Prob Cause,reasonable suspicion or any other of the protocols that the Police are bound to follow, I made very sure that all the ducks were in a row prior to approaching someone prior to detaining them.
    Like said before,I have contacted Off Duty police officers in the projects and 99% of the time there was no issue in the contact at all.
    I think it best(and just my opinion now) that should this dynamic present itself again to this guard under the same circumstances,he would be over stepping his authority to try to disarm the subject whether that subject was retired PO or not. On that note,if in fact the Georgia man is a retired police officer why would he need a CCW since he is covered under the Federal Carry Law? In any event,for the guard to ask for the weapon after a CCW permit was presented was out of scope of responsibility and (not siding with the Georgia PO)the police officer was correct in refusing and walking away.
    No crime other than the petty offense of drunk in public was being committed IF THAT,therefore no detention COULD be made.
    Im so glad I saved them there Corn Flake Coupons so I could get me to Law School.
    I truly appreciate the banter Clearsight. While we have clearly different laws in our perspective States,its nice to be able to debate them like sane adults.
    THANK YOU!

OFF TOPIC:
    Iowa to go SHALL ISSUE 01-01-11.
    Iowa will honor ALL STATES PERMITS.
    If you are a resident of Iowa you must purchase and Iowa permit.
    Iowa will NO LONGER issue NR CCW permits since they recognize all other
    states.
    Spoke today for 2 hours to a very informative man in the Iowa DPS that laid out each facet of this new law and was extremely helpful in answering all my questions. I posted a link to the Iowa DPS site under the "how many CCW permits do you all have" forum. Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

Stay SAFE!
    ARMED IN CHICAGO.
    " We came,We Saw,We kicked their asses and when the screaming stopped,the blood dried,the smoke cleared and the dust settled...PEACE WAS RESTORED"

The guard has already been told by the drunken lady that her partner has a gun. Who knows how the guard (if he is armed) will react if you just tick him off and turn your back on him and leave. You may be absolutley right and within your state's rights but you can also be dead right. You just do not know who you are dealing with and if he does have a gun, you have put yourself in a dangerous situation by just ignoring him because you can. Common sense says you talk to the guard in a serious and understandable manner and if he is too dumb to understand the limits of his authority, you should be aware that he is also too dumb to understand that he is not an LEO and cannot restrain you either by physical force or the force of a bullet; you do not turn your back on him, disrespect him, and walk away--that is plain crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    The guard has already been told by the drunken lady that her partner has a gun. Who knows how the guard (if he is armed) will react if you just tick him off and turn your back on him and leave. You may be absolutley right and within your state's rights but you can also be dead right. You just do not know who you are dealing with and if he does have a gun, you have put yourself in a dangerous situation by just ignoring him because you can. Common sense says you talk to the guard in a serious and understandable manner and if he is too dumb to understand the limits of his authority, you should be aware that he is also too dumb to understand that he is not an LEO and cannot restrain you either by physical force or the force of a bullet; you do not turn your back on him, disrespect him, and walk away--that is plain crazy.
    Do you really distrust gunowners that much? Do you just assume we're all bloodthirsty thugs just waiting for a chance to slug somebody?

Are you projecting on us what you'd do if someone "disrespected" you?

Do you assume that all Security Officers are knuckle dragging, mouth breathers w/ out enough sense to realize that popping someone in the back is not the way to advance in their chose profession?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I don't view just going about my business with minimal interaction as disrespecting to anybody. I'll mind my business, you mind yours. If you don't know what your business is, then that's your problem. FORCE me to explain it to you, and you'll have a bigger problem.

It's that "interaction" thing where the trouble usually starts. Who's doing the interacting, or forcing the issue?

7. I would have waited for the police.......

Only to see them detain the lady friend for public intoxication

And of course always bear in mind a couple things: Some people are just complete idiots looking for trouble and will try anything to bait you into it. Others are just plain stupid and may obtain the same results, albeit in a less devious manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    And of course always bear in mind a couple things: Some people are just complete idiots looking for trouble and will try anything to bait you into it. Others are just plain stupid and may obtain the same results, albeit in a less devious manner.
    Which category do you fit into?
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Point proven!

JSDinTexas Guest
    I will consider this was a hypothetical question, but my first thought was why is this guy walking around with a gun and an unruly, loud-mouthed drunk? Seems a bit irresponsible.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast