Leave Gun In Car At Post Office? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leave Gun In Car At Post Office?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Did you ever consider a travel safe that can be tethered by wire cable to an anchor object in the car?

Most scum breaking into a car parked in the street near a post office are not going to spend time trying to break into a tethered safe. They'll smash, grab, and run.

Considered, yes. The Post Office is just an example. I simply decided a while ago that my firearm is either:

1) On my person, or
    2) Beside my bed, or
    3) Locked in my safe at home...

...and that as a matter of principle I would never leave it in my car. So far it has not been an issue.

Twice I have been politely asked if I would take my pistol out to the car and twice I have politely stated that I could not do that. In both situations, ongoing polite conversation resolved the issue and I (and my firearm) remained. So I have yet to have a need for a car safe.

I figure if it should come down to that, I and my firearm will simply leave.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Considered, yes. The Post Office is just an example. I simply decided a while ago that my firearm is either:

1) On my person, or
    2) Beside my bed, or
    3) Locked in my safe at home...

...and that as a matter of principle I would never leave it in my car. So far it has not been an issue.

Twice I have been politely asked if I would take my pistol out to the car and twice I have politely stated that I could not do that. In both situations, ongoing polite conversation resolved the issue and I (and my firearm) remained. So I have yet to have a need for a car safe.

I figure if it should come down to that, I and my firearm will simply leave.
    I presume from your statement above that you were open carrying..
    I'd like to have an example of how that dialog goes for you when asked to leave..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    I presume from your statement above that you were open carrying..
    I'd like to have an example of how that dialog goes for you when asked to leave..

Yes, OC. And that is a different conversation. I'm not altogether sure I would characterize someone asking or insisting I leave as "polite conversation", but some of these terms are rather subjective, eh? In both stituations I was asked (very politely, very quietly, and almost apologetically) if I would mind taking it to the car.

The first was a "non-chain" sports bar. I responded, "I can't do that, but I can cover it." He looked relieved, expressed his gratitude, thanked me, and that was that.

The second was (gasp!) WalMart, approached by the Assistant Mgr. (Jon), asking if I would mind taking it to my car. I wish I had recorded the conversation because it was almost 10 minutes, VERY laid back, and was a very good exchange. He knew WalMart's policy and state law, he admitted he really only wanted to feel me out as to the type of person I was, and repeated numerous times he was not asking me to leave. In retrospect I think we had a successful negotiation. We knew each other's first names, he felt I could be trusted, and I had his assurance that I should feel free to OC in his store any time I wish and that he had my back.

Cliff's notes... If asked to leave, I will leave.

Hasn't happened yet. I make sure I do what I can to represent the OC and RTKB community in a non-threatening and non-confrontational manner, and present a positive image. I believe if I am asked to leave, I have failed. Perhaps some of what I am attempting to project actually shines through. My thoughts are that all of my encounters have been positive, and I have handed out almost 200 flyers to interested people in the last 2 years.

...I'm having a wonderful time!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Thanx for the update!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

6. With regards to "being asked to leave" versus "being asked to take the firearm to the car", there is a HUGE difference in FL. Florida is one of the states where private property signage carries no legal weight. We don't, as of yet, have general lawful open carry, so concealed carriers here generally ignore such signage.

With regards to a merchant approaching a carrier and asking them to remove the gun, my standard response is, "sir, are you asking me to leave the premises?" Florida law is very clear. In order to be guilty of trespass (or in this case, armed trespass), a request or order to leave the private property must be rendered by an authorized agent of the property owner, and it must then be refused by the individual being asked to leave. Period. They cannot make demands of you aside from asking you to leave. Additionally, once they ask you to leave, they must permit it. They are not allowed to detain you for police and then have you charged with trespass.
    Rich - MSgt, USAF, Ret.
    Want to accomplish something for your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHIN'

7. A friend of mine works for the post office. A fellow employee had several guns in his truck for his planes after work Target practice. His supervisor found out and it turned into a real mess. It's not allowed for employees. He lost his job over it.

I sympathize with your problem. My company does not allow CCW but fortunately they are reasonable and DO allow you to leave the gun in the car when getting to work. Otherwise I'd also have to park a bit further away. You should be able to look that up somewhere in your company policies if you do not want to outright ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Live_Free_orDie View Post
    Absolutely correct...no firearms on Post Office property.
    The main PO that I go to has a lane on the parking lot that I can drive through and deposit letters in a mailbox without getting out of my car.

So if I'm carrying and I do this, then I'm committing a felony?

Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    The main PO that I go to has a lane on the parking lot that I can drive through and deposit letters in a mailbox without getting out of my car.

sounds like the lot in my main PO...the traffic lane for the lot takes you to the box.

But it is still the PO parking lot.

11. Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post

I don't know if it rises to the level of a felony conviction, but you will violate 39 CFR 232.1 (l) which is adjudicated in Federal District Court or by a Federal magistrate and punishment includes a fine in accordance with 18 USC 3571 or imprisionment for up to 30 days or both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast