Leave Gun In Car At Post Office?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leave Gun In Car At Post Office?

1. Leave Gun In Car At Post Office?

I work at the Post Office, obviously I am not allowed to carry at work. Does anyone know if I am allowed to leave my gun in my car while parked on federal property? My car is subject to search at any time. I do not want to ask at work as this may tip them off if not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by bludevl3232 View Post
    I work at the Post Office, obviously I am not allowed to carry at work. Does anyone know if I am allowed to leave my gun in my car while parked on federal property? My car is subject to search at any time. I do not want to ask at work as this may tip them off if not legal.
    No, you are not allowed to have a gun in your car on federal property. If you are caught you will lose a lot more than your job
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

4. So, every other thread I have read about customers "leaving it in the car" when they are at the Post Office, they are breaking the law?

5. Found the law. 39 cfr 232.1. Guess I keep it at home til I get off work!

So, every other thread I have read about customers "leaving it in the car" when they are at the Post Office, they are breaking the law?

Not necessarily. Not every Post Office "owns" the parking lot. The closest PO to me does own the lot. The 2nd closest has street parking.

I cannot have my firearm in the vehicle at the closest one as there is no street parking there. The 2nd closest I can, and legally.

Not that it matters, but I decided a while ago that I would never leave my firearm in my vehicle. I have had my cars broken into 4 times in the last 30 years or so, a car is just too vulnerable. Anytime I have to go to the Post Office I leave my firearm at home. Doesn't make me happy, but the consequences are no joke.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Absolutely correct...no firearms on Post Office property.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Not necessarily. Not every Post Office "owns" the parking lot. The closest PO to me does own the lot. The 2nd closest has street parking.

I cannot have my firearm in the vehicle at the closest one as there is no street parking there. The 2nd closest I can, and legally.

Not that it matters, but I decided a while ago that I would never leave my firearm in my vehicle. I have had my cars broken into 4 times in the last 30 years or so, a car is just too vulnerable. Anytime I have to go to the Post Office I leave my firearm at home. Doesn't make me happy, but the consequences are no joke.
    Did you ever consider a travel safe that can be tethered by wire cable to an anchor object in the car?

Most scum breaking into a car parked in the street near a post office are not going to spend time trying to break into a tethered safe. They'll smash, grab, and run.

I do not want to ask at work as this may tip them off if not legal.
    That just didn't sound right. I'm guessing you didn't mean it the way it sounded.

As a side note..
    I travel a little further to a "Post Office" that is inside a Hardware store..
    In this scenario is is neither illegal to have the gun in the parking lot, or to take my gun in to do my postal business.. It's worth the extra 5 minute drive for me to keep myself armed.
    I don't know about you, but when I go to the post office, it's usually not the only place to go to on my list.. So leaving my gun at home would mean multiple stops unarmed. I just route my travel plan to include the Hardware store.

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

11. Carry on postal property is currently in the courts in Colorado.

Colorado Couple Challenge USPS Ban Of Firearms on Postal Property : PostalReporter News Blog
    Rich - MSgt, USAF, Ret.
    Want to accomplish something for your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHIN'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast