Choosing a Concealed Carry Gun?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Concealed Carry Gun?

1. Choosing a Concealed Carry Gun?

I have a real dilema. I am trying to decide what gun to purchase. I have been told by my father in law that the best gun to get for concealment purposes is a little pocket gun chambered in .380. I understand his point of view in that you can slip it into a pocket but I am unsure if that is the route I personally want to go. I have found a Glock 19 for a great price and I am seriously leaning to that decision because it is bigger and I feel like it will be more comfortable to shoot. If I do go the Glock route then obviously I would try carrying IWB. My wife thinks that I am crazy to get something that big, she is under the opinion that I should get a small pocket pistol as well. Please tell me your thoughts on what I should do.

You should get the gun that you're most willing to bet your life on
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You should get the gun that you're most willing to bet your life on
    That sums it up very well. You are the one that has to be able to use it, and hence must be comfortable with it.

Well said, but I'm not a fan of .380, or 9mm. I'd go with a compact 45 (heavy impact), but that's what works for me.

choosing a gun

I have a LCP and I love it for the summer when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The only problem with it is, if you're in the car, there's no way you can get it out of your pocket. So I bought a Bond Arms 45/410 to keep in the door pocket. I feel safe this way.

Quote Originally Posted by tpaul513 View Post
    I have found a Glock 19 for a great price and I am seriously leaning to that decision because it is bigger and I feel like it will be more comfortable to shoot. If I do go the Glock route then obviously I would try carrying IWB. My wife thinks that I am crazy to get something that big, she is under the opinion that I should get a small pocket pistol as well. Please tell me your thoughts on what I should do.
    Do some more research and reading. Massad Ayoob has written tons on the subject, and I recommend his work. The majority of CCW sites will discourage you from carrying anything less than 9mm. If you're ever called upon to use your defense weapon, you will want stopping power. You can never choose when a bad guy will confront you, so to be effective, you must carry all the time. Several different weapons and holster will give you the most choices for carry, but some people can't afford multiple weapons. I personally wouldn't choose a 19 for CCW, because it is bulky, and requires the right clothing and body size to do well. Good luck in your search.

I like the Glock 36 for CCW. I'm also fond of 1911's
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

JSDinTexas Guest
    To stop the threat you may have to shoot:
    .45 - once or twice
    .40 - 2 to 3 times
    9mm - 3 to 5
    .380 - all 6 or 7 and then reload for sure
    .22 - throw the gun at them, it will do more good than shooting

BTW...price should not be your deciding factor ...especially when your life may depend on it (unless you want the dirt nap in a better box).

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Live_Free_orDie View Post
    BTW...price should not be your deciding factor ...especially when your life may depend on it (unless you want the dirt nap in a better box).
    Careful LF or D, I brought up the same thing in another thread mentioning that it could be a life or death decision about cheap guns and got called down for it. Guy said a cheap gun was better than nothing, and maybe so.
    I remember a cheap revolver I had many years ago - when you pulled the trigger, the cylinder fell out.
    But what the heck, each to his own.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast