New York State Concealed Carry Permit Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York State Concealed Carry Permit Question

1. New York State Concealed Carry Permit Question

I have a house I own in New York, and I also have to live in Virginia. I lived in New York for 14 years, and moved to Virginia for work. I want a Conceal Carry for New York, but it says a valid Drivers License for New York. I am up in New York some every 30 - 60 days sometimes for up to 3 months at a time. How to do I get a CC if I am a resident of Virginia, and yet own a house in New York. Virginia says if you live in the state for more than 60 days you must become a Virginia Resident. So how do you do this when commuting? Get a NY Drivers license then get permit, and then get a Virginia license later? Or is it, New York just does not care about that, they want you to live and work in their state even if there are no jobs anymore, and you can own a house and pay taxes but have no rights as a New Yorker?

Quote Originally Posted by remedyboy View Post
    I have a house I own in New York, and I also have to live in Virginia. I lived in New York for 14 years, and moved to Virginia for work. I want a Conceal Carry for New York, but it says a valid Drivers License for New York. I am up in New York some every 30 - 60 days sometimes for up to 3 months at a time. How to do I get a CC if I am a resident of Virginia, and yet own a house in New York. Virginia says if you live in the state for more than 60 days you must become a Virginia Resident. So how do you do this when commuting? Get a NY Drivers license then get permit, and then get a Virginia license later? Or is it, New York just does not care about that, they want you to live and work in their state even if there are no jobs anymore, and you can own a house and pay taxes but have no rights as a New Yorker?
    NY is a May Issue to Residents Only state. So to answer your post your SOL unless you live in NY.

Permit Honored: by NY.
    Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont

Permit Not Honored:
    Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

Right Denied:
    Illinois, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

Yes you can live and pay taxes to NY but you have no rights that a resident would have when it comes to firearms.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Sad but true you must be a NY resident to get a permit

In which state are you registered to vote? From which state is your driver's license? If you can afford it, you may want to consult an attorney to get this sorted out. One thing to keep in mind however, is that in Virginia, you can open carry whether you're a resident or not. Therefore, if you can establish residency in PRNY, you can get a permit for carrying when you're there, and carry openly when you're in Virginia.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

6. Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    NY is a May Issue to Residents Only state. So to answer your post your SOL unless you live in NY.

Permit Honored: by NY.
    Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont

Permit Not Honored:
    Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

Right Denied:
    Illinois, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

Yes you can live and pay taxes to NY but you have no rights that a resident would have when it comes to firearms.
    According to the map, NY does not honor the CHL permit from Texas. Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

I'm a former NY'r living in Texas so this is something I pay close attention to when going back home.
    "When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence." ~ Gary Lloyd

7. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    In which state are you registered to vote? From which state is your driver's license? If you can afford it, you may want to consult an attorney to get this sorted out. One thing to keep in mind however, is that in Virginia, you can open carry whether you're a resident or not. Therefore, if you can establish residency in PRNY, you can get a permit for carrying when you're there, and carry openly when you're in Virginia.
    I AM thinking of going the other route... I ordered my utah gold, and then if I become a NY Res again, and just live in Virginia -- being a Part Time NY resident, then I get both 31 states and NY.

NY needs to Wise up... They get monies out of working with other states... plus people come to the state.. I just don't see how they do not care about that.. That poor little state has taken a beating

Quote Originally Posted by ronzorelli View Post
    According to the map, NY does not honor the CHL permit from Texas. Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

I'm a former NY'r living in Texas so this is something I pay close attention to when going back home.
    This I know that is why I bothered adding the CWP's that NY honors in with my Post.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

I have a family summer home in NY and have to leave the short guns at home. I bring the rifles in however. No permit needed. My mother uses it as her home address so I'd be covered by her. I was gonna ask her to get her NY license for me and buy one there for me to use. Always thinking...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

10. Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    This I know that is why I bothered adding the CWP's that NY honors in with my Post.
    Your post claims NY honors Texas. It does not. That's why I made the comment in the first place, and bolded the "Texas" in your quoted post.
    "When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence." ~ Gary Lloyd

11. Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I have a family summer home in NY and have to leave the short guns at home. I bring the rifles in however. No permit needed. My mother uses it as her home address so I'd be covered by her. I was gonna ask her to get her NY license for me and buy one there for me to use. Always thinking...
    I'm thinking about picking this up and bringing it with... Kel-Tec Unveils The New KSG Dual-Tube Pump Shotgun The Shooter's Log

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast