Ccw holder traveling past schools in states where ccw holder is not resident - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ccw holder traveling past schools in states where ccw holder is not resident

Thanks, Eagle. I read the listed cases and all of them are about more than simply driving past a school with a valid CCW license. They all involve drugs, prior felonies, actual firing of the gun etc etc. Since I plan on not being involved in any of that I feel better now. My main concern was (and is) if anybody has ever been dragged off to the dungeons for just harmlessly driving past a school on a public road while carrying.

3. The fact remains, anyone carrying in a State which they don't physically have a permit for, is committing multiple felonies. Those who rely on law-enforcement and the courts to look the other way are choosing a very dangerous path.

You make it sound like there is any other option? What else can you do? You can't get a permit from all states, even if they all did issue permits to non-residents you'd be broke and too old to even lift a gun by the time you had the full set. I mean, seriously, what are you suggesting?

5. Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    What are you suggesting?

Contact your U.S. Senators about this issue.

Well, I would, but I don't have one. I am a legal permanent resident alien, I have to pay taxes but I don't get to vote for anything or anybody. I actually really do agree with you, if I was a citizen I would write him. But as it is I have to along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Well, I would, but I don't have one. I am a legal permanent resident alien, I have to pay taxes but I don't get to vote for anything or anybody. I actually really do agree with you, if I was a citizen I would write him. But as it is I have to along with it.
    Anybody can send a letter....

Write to the Senator that represents the area in which you live. State your case and address your concerns. You don't have to say anything about your residency or voter status.

8. Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    This law must have been written by a New Jersey politician, so a judge who hates guns can convict you for being 999 feet from school property. The law gets kind of vague here.

Here's a letter from the ATF that seems to clarify things a bit, following the safe and sound advice of S&W645.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...za1995_ccw.pdf
    Welcome to my world. I get headaches reading NJ gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Thanks, Eagle. I read the listed cases and all of them are about more than simply driving past a school with a valid CCW license. They all involve drugs, prior felonies, actual firing of the gun etc etc. Since I plan on not being involved in any of that I feel better now. My main concern was (and is) if anybody has ever been dragged off to the dungeons for just harmlessly driving past a school on a public road while carrying.
    I think you are exactly correct here, The intent of the law is to protect students from both themselves and others intending to do them harm. If you are driving down the street and get pulled over for say speeding, I don't think you are going to prison. Is there a chance yes, but try convincing 12 people that your INTENT was to cause trouble at the school and by a chance I mean sure some DA could charge you with that offense, but it is HIGHLY unlikely.

The general intent of the law, as I see it, is to be able to tack on a MASSIVE extra charge to someone who is involved in something else as well. I would be amazingly surprised if an average person CCW driving past a school, on a public road would be charged. Also, 1000ft is NOT very far, it sounds like a LONG way but according to my garmin lady (every time she tells me to turn) in 500ft, it's pretty quick.

I think if you stopped, got out, walked onto the school property, well then you are in trouble, driving past I don't think you will have any problems. This does serve as a very solid reminder to SLOW DOWN, STOP COMPLETELY at stop signs and avoid ANY reason for you to be pulled over near a school just as a precaution. Also, if you see a school go a block over, a block up, and just continue on your way. If there is no way around it, I REALLY REALLY doubt you're going to have an issue.

In MN (which I know is NOT the law were are discussing) you can only bring it on school grounds if you have written permission from the acting governing person (principal) or DAYCARE owner even a home daycare. Other wise you are okay to walk VERY close to your car to put it in the trunk...2-3 steps away is NOT very close.

Good Luck all and stay safe....

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Anybody can send a letter....

Write to the Senator that represents the area in which you live. State your case and address your concerns. You don't have to say anything about your residency or voter status.
    You are quite right! Guess I am too German, had not even thought of that!

Kinda related:

Peter King, Leading Republican, To Introduce Strict Gun-Control Legislation

2 things about these people get me:

- is the idea to add more and more places like maybe churches, any place with a cash register, any place that sells alcohol, police stations until eventually there's only some outhouse in NE left that happens to be outside of all those zones? Or maybe later increase the radius?

- all of this is done under the pretense of PREVENTING gun violence. But simply by making a law nothing is prevented. So logically thinking you would either have to enforce it with searches or you have not changed a thing. There is no reason anybody who intends to do other people harm would worry about some law like this, he intends to violate much more important laws that carry stiffer penalties. The only real difference is that now you can add an additional charge if somebody actually does go crazy. But the claim was this would PREVENT the incident?

- all it really does is create more and more red tape and hassles for those of us who are responsible and law abiding carriers. As with the school zone act issue we probably end up having to rely on the good common sense of LEs and courts and the "spirit" of the law in order to not unintentionally do something wrong or get in trouble.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast