When can chambered round lead to A-D ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When can chambered round lead to A-D ?

I agree with Rocketboy and JTG452. All negligent discharges are 'human caused' or 'user error'. I've been in the business for many years and seen a lot of 'stupid-factor'. It is not the Glock that caused the ND. It is the user that caused the ND.
    JTG; you are very right on the distinction between accident and negligence- very good comment. It's not semantics- it's fact.
    Rocketboy is also correct, with regards to Glocks.
    TRAINING,TRAINING, TRAINING and practice safe handling. I have my original Glock AND seven others, and none has ever discharged itself, nor have I ever seen that happen. Every time there has been a negligent discharge, it has always been 'user error', otherwise known as negligence.
    For all who read this, pay very close attention to what Rocketboy and JTG452 have told you. Just use your head!

3. One reason I quit carrying my HiPower was that on the occasions when it was uncovered(this being an open carry state so no foul), people who noticed kept asking me if I knew my pistol was cocked. I have since switched to a full size Ruger decocker and make an effort to conceal it better. The most likely time/cause for an ND/AD is during handling as in loading or unloading. I never unload my carry gun except on the rare occasions when I clean it. It gets a shot now and then when some varmint makes a fatal error and the mag topped off. My son is still not totally comfortable with CCW and goes to a lot of effort to clear his carry pistol and all his messing around seems more of a problem than just leaving it loaded.

I'm tired of endless nitpicking about lingo, and negligence, related to a bullet fired
    when not intended. If momentary negligence under stress results in avoidable
    permanent severe injury to me or a bystander, then that's risk I avoid if I have the choice.
    But I will carry a gun anyway; chambered; whatever opinions are expressed.

I would not carry a Glock-type gun chambered unless it had an aftermarket safety.
    Search for the many cases of experienced leo who had "early" discharge.
    And search for the lawsuits Glock quietly settled with police departments.

5. Quote Originally Posted by edd browne View Post
    I would not carry a Glock-type gun chambered unless it had an aftermarket safety.
    Has there ever been a documented case of a Glock discharging on it's own? Glocks have perfectly reliable safeties built into them - don't pull the trigger fully to the rear position and it won't discharge.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

When can chambered round lead to A-D ?

When you have an idiot running the gun

Originally Posted by edd browne
    I've said it before but, negligent discharges are caused by ….wait for it…. negligence. They are not caused by any inherent flaw in the weapon, regardless of what type of weapon you’re talking about.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Problem solved
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Has there ever been a documented case of a Glock discharging on it's own? Glocks have perfectly reliable safeties built into them - don't pull the trigger fully to the rear position and it won't discharge.
    +1 on that. I carry a Glock, with a (shudder) hollowpoint, (shudder) in the chamber. All this FUD about Glocks is meerly, well FUD!

Ok... Everyone has their opinion about Glock and well within their right to their opinion. Let's drop the Glock debate and back to the topic.....We're all on the same team- remember?

In just a few minutes, a Glock fanboy will come by and post a link to a test where a Glock was put in a blender filled with Drano, sulfuric acid, Coca-Cola, piranha, and 2 pounds of industrial diamonds. A CAT D8 bulldozer was then dropped on it from 1000 feet. The owner picked up the Glock, chambered a 155mm HE round, hit a post-it note at 917 miles, and then proceeded to run 726,761 rounds of Wolf ammo coated with Gorilla Glue with no failures. "
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Any safety is a mechanical device subject to failure. Some handguns that have no lever that can be manually engaged still have safeties: S&W revolvers have a rebound spring/hammer block, Ruger revolvers have a transfer bar, Glocks (plus M&P's, Kahrs) have a striker block, etc. Other handguns that have a manual safety lever generally also incorporate a secondary drop safety feature. All are designed to guard against unintentional discharge. The negligent discharges that I have encountered were all caused by a trigger finger which disabled the safeties and fired the gun, not by mechanical failure. Safety is a mindset.

I know some people who don't carry with one in the chamber, or who carry a 1911 uncocked. That's a personal decision, and at least they're armed. A combat mindset is an acquired trait, and experience is one step toward acquiring it. Do what feels right for you, but please don't get killed with your own gun because you hesitated.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

11. IMHO, all Glock type weapons (those with safeties built into the trigger) need to be carried in a holster that covers the trigger. I was the department firearms instructor in a small police department. We had a female officer report to a plain clothes detail with her Glock 19, fully operational, stuffed in her purse. Women normally carry a lipstick in their purse. A lipstick (or many other items) can fit into the trigger guard and when the purse is moved... shifting contents may activate the trigger. The Glock will work as it is supposed to. In this case, the weapon did not fire but IAW Murphy's Law the chance exists.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast