What to do with the one in the chamber - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the one in the chamber

I think I mentioned that there's a reason I don't carry +1
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

3. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I think I mentioned that there's a reason I don't carry +1
    I still say that's what pockets were made for!

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Cocked & Locked, stays that way all the time. UNLESS it's time for cleaning. Then after that returned to condition 1.
    +1

Unloading & reloading on a daily basis is one of the most dangerous activities you can engage in.

It's safer just to place your PCW away at night without unloading it. (Keeping it holstered if possible.)

I too, have an "alternate" PHDW. So, my PCW is placed away (but, accessible) at night. The only time I unload & reload is to "practice/train" with FMJ ammo. I also unload to clean my weapon. (That's it!)

When I do unload, then reload I rotate the round in the chamber; checking for setback & casing issues in the process.

I chamber before holstering and unchamber before putting away for the night. I shoot my carry ammo about every 6 months for 2 reasons.
    1. I have "new" ammo in the weapon
    2. Lets me practice with what I carry

If the chamber round starts looking rough it goes to the back of the box and another round comes out. I chose 6 months because thats when I do the batteries in my smoke detectors also, I figured the carry ammo is just as important.

just what I do and works for me.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

6. I only unload for cleaning and that's not often. Occasionally, I either shoot it empty or swap mags and unload the mag that was in the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kewlgypsy View Post
    ...so before locking and putting away your gun at night you eject the round - the next day you put it back in and holster your weapon.
    Because you asked the question, it is apparent that you are thinking about things and trying to do things right and be cautious. That's good. But, I have to ask, why all the loading and unloading? Since you are "locking and putting away your gun at night," what do you accomplish by unloading it, just to reload it the next day?

After cleaning and lubing my carry pistol and its' spare magazines, and reloading the magazines, I load a round in the chamber by dropping the slide from its' locked-back position by pressing the slide release. This removes any possibility of ridding the slide or impeding its travel in any way.

The pistol STAYS in that exact condition, sometimes for several months, until I shoot all the ammo in the pistol and spare mags, and the process repeats.

Everybody has a different drill, based on what they perceive as important, that works for them. You will work out and settle on something with which your are comfortable.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

dusted Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Others have already stated their concerns against your method, so now I guess I can say that is exactly what I do to avoid bullet setback. I drop the round in the chamber, let the slide close with just enough force for the extractor to jump over the rim of the cartridge
    as far as i understand it, this is breech loading by definition, Lt.

9. Quote Originally Posted by dusted View Post
    as far as i understand it, this is breech loading by definition, Lt.
    Yes, it is. That's why I posted that while others may disagree with your method, breech loading, that is the exact method that I do use to load my gun - breech loading.

10. Thanks for all the comments on this, and as the gun in reference is a kel tec, Breech loading seems darn near impossible as the slide doesn't lock. Now I do live rural, with property, so I shoot often enough that I can just shoot the current magazine often enough that this isn't a problem.
    Also will consider leaving it in as suggested - locked it shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    +1

Unloading & reloading on a daily basis is one of the most dangerous activities you can engage in.

It's safer just to place your PCW away at night without unloading it. (Keeping it holstered if possible.)

I too, have an "alternate" PHDW. So, my PCW is placed away (but, accessible) at night. The only time I unload & reload is to "practice/train" with FMJ ammo. I also unload to clean my weapon. (That's it!)

When I do unload, then reload I rotate the round in the chamber; checking for setback & casing issues in the process.
    How so? It's only dangerous if you make it that way. I never store my firearms loaded. As I said before by the time you get to my second front door and attempted to get in you would be shot.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast