What to do with the one in the chamber - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do with the one in the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    How so? It's only dangerous if you make it that way. I never store my firearms loaded. As I said before by the time you get to my second front door and attempted to get in you would be shot.
    Unneccessary administrative handling of the firearm increases the likelyhood of operator headspace malfunctions
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

dusted Guest
    i apologize, lieutenant, i read your post wrong. ty for the response. and while i suggest this method for spring loaded extractors like my 92fs, it's no so great for a downward camming barrel (such as glock, sigma, some sig sauer etc.) for all others, i realize my post was kind of flippant, i'll use the "i'm new here" excuse. and "slingshotting" is NOT the right way to load a round. the "right" way is to lock the slide, load the mag, release the slide. check your owners manual or take a class from a reputable instructor.

dusted Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by roguejesse View Post
    Bad idea: "breech load it. Save slingshotting (racking the slide) for showing off"
    If the bullet isn't sitting properly in the chamber, the gun may not fire. As the firing hits the primer, instead of a solid hit on the primer, some of the energy is used to push the bullet further into the chamber. Thus not having enough energy on the primer to ignite.
    Same effect as riding the slide when racking in a round into the chamber.

So "slingshotting" is the proper way of loading a round into the chamber. It isn't showing off.
    sir or ma'am (sorry, the name "jesse" is sort of ambiguous, so i'm honestly not sure) i have no idea what you are talking about here. for the sake of argument i'm assuming you mean the round is sitting either high or low or left or right or something like that. to assume that one would assume that the breech (at least, the back end of the barrel) is considerably bigger then the casing it is meant to contain. one would then have to assume that the gun in question is defective. in any of these cases one of us isn't making a whole lot of sense.... if it is me i duly apologize. also, "slingshotting" is NOT the "proper" way to load a round into an automatic, just widely acceptable. hence my terminology. no offense intended

"Jesse" is the usual masculine spelling. "Jessie" is the usual feminine spelling.

Now back to your statement; in the normal firing, cycling of the auto-loading pistol is the same as what you describe as "slingshotting" when you let go of the slide to load the round in the chamber.
    It baffles me why you would think that is not the proper way.

You are correct in that the breech end of the barrel is bigger to accommodate the bullet casing, plus allow the bullet to enter at angle from the magazine. But when the bullet is properly sitting in the chamber, the bullet sits into the lands and grooves in the barrel. On some pistols, if you ride the slide when you rack a round into the chamber, you will notice the slide is not fully in the forward position. This is because you didn't allow the energy of the spring to fully seat the bullet into the lands and grooves.

Now that I explained the mechanics of the process, please enlighten me why that is wrong. And who told you this?
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by roguejesse View Post
    "Jesse" is the usual masculine spelling. "Jessie" is the usual feminine spelling.

Now back to your statement; in the normal firing, cycling of the auto-loading pistol is the same as what you describe as "slingshotting" when you let go of the slide to load the round in the chamber.
    It baffles me why you would think that is not the proper way.

You are correct in that the breech end of the barrel is bigger to accommodate the bullet casing, plus allow the bullet to enter at angle from the magazine. But when the bullet is properly sitting in the chamber, the bullet sits into the lands and grooves in the barrel. On some pistols, if you ride the slide when you rack a round into the chamber, you will notice the slide is not fully in the forward position. This is because you didn't allow the energy of the spring to fully seat the bullet into the lands and grooves.

Now that I explained the mechanics of the process, please enlighten me why that is wrong. And who told you this?
    I agree Jesse.

Please dusted; "teach" us amatuers.

Tell us who was the "reputable" instructor from which you learned the "correct" way to load a round in the chamber & release the slide; and how he taught you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123