What to do with the one in the chamber
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the one in the chamber

1. What to do with the one in the chamber

Been here for a bit, and done quite a bit of lurking, and I have a dumb and newbie to concealed carry question.
    How many times can you put the same ammo in the chamber? - In other words - you put one in the chamber, and carry all day, you have another more suitable home protection device, so before locking and putting away your gun at night you eject the round - the next day you put it back in and holster your weapon. -- can you just keep doing that?
    Hope I am making sense, I just can't find if there is anywhere that says you shouldn't put the same round in a chamber more than 10 times, -- or twice? -- if the gun is clean, I wouldn't think its an issue to eject each night, and put the same round (or rotate with the top one in the clip) each morning.
    2Kewl

You are making perfect sense. I know that .45 ACP is prone to set back I'm not aware of any others.

I solve the problem by simply leaving my carry gun loaded when I lock it up at night
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Cocked & Locked, stays that way all the time. UNLESS it's time for cleaning. Then after that returned to condition 1.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

dusted Guest
    I just rotate my ammo. shoot the old stuff first lol. If you want to be REALLY sure just breech load it. Save slingshotting (racking the slide) for showing off.

Bad idea: "breech load it. Save slingshotting (racking the slide) for showing off"
    If the bullet isn't sitting properly in the chamber, the gun may not fire. As the firing hits the primer, instead of a solid hit on the primer, some of the energy is used to push the bullet further into the chamber. Thus not having enough energy on the primer to ignite.
    Same effect as riding the slide when racking in a round into the chamber.

So "slingshotting" is the proper way of loading a round into the chamber. It isn't showing off.

Quote Originally Posted by roguejesse View Post
    Bad idea: "breech load it. Save slingshotting (racking the slide) for showing off"
    If the bullet isn't sitting properly in the chamber, the gun may not fire. As the firing hits the primer, instead of a solid hit on the primer, some of the energy is used to push the bullet further into the chamber. Thus not having enough energy on the primer to ignite.
    Same effect as riding the slide when racking in a round into the chamber.

So "slingshotting" is the proper way of loading a round into the chamber. It isn't showing off.
    Ditto...
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by 2kewlgypsy View Post
    Been here for a bit, and done quite a bit of lurking, and I have a dumb and newbie to concealed carry question.
    How many times can you put the same ammo in the chamber? - In other words - you put one in the chamber, and carry all day, you have another more suitable home protection device, so before locking and putting away your gun at night you eject the round - the next day you put it back in and holster your weapon. -- can you just keep doing that?
    Hope I am making sense, I just can't find if there is anywhere that says you shouldn't put the same round in a chamber more than 10 times, -- or twice? -- if the gun is clean, I wouldn't think its an issue to eject each night, and put the same round (or rotate with the top one in the clip) each morning.
    2Kewl
    I do it everynight and have never had a problem. The only thing that happens is the brass coating turns dark brown from the oil from your skin. The round is still good to go. Even if you leave the round in the chamber all the time your still going to have eject it for cleaning.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dusted View Post
    I just rotate my ammo. shoot the old stuff first lol. If you want to be REALLY sure just breech load it. Save slingshotting (racking the slide) for showing off.
    Others have already stated their concerns against your method, so now I guess I can say that is exactly what I do to avoid bullet setback. I drop the round in the chamber, let the slide close with just enough force for the extractor to jump over the rim of the cartridge, open the slide enough to observe proper extraction of the round from the chamber, close the slide again, observe and feel the back of the slide is even with the rear of the frame to ensure it's in full battery, click the safety on to ensure the gun is cocked internally, slap the full magazine firmly into the gun, double checking that it is seated fully, holster the gun and click the safety off. I've never had a round loaded this way fail to fire.

Here comes, "You'll wear out or break the extractor!" Not on my gun, the extractor pivots on a pin so it isn't flexing and I have seen no wear on the extractor tip, which is hardened steel pressing against soft brass anyway.

And this same question gets asked about once a month, BTW.

My rigs stay with one chambered until cleaning time weekly if not sooner. When I'm not using one I lock the gun as Taurus and Rossi provided. Without the proper key all someone has is paper weight!
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Once I started noticing setback, years ago, I started loading the chamber from a magazine with one cartridge only, then filled it to capacity. Of my three .45acps, I haven't had setback anymore. At least noticeable to the naked eye. May not work on them all, but something to look into with your firearm.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast