Good Conceal Carry Story! - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Conceal Carry Story!

1. Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post

The point here is that it is against the law to walk up and punch someone, regardless of what your intentions after that are, while the law allows you to use deadly force to prevent bodily harm, (.
    The standard is GRAVE bodily harm, that doesn't mean a black eye. It means crippling injury as far as I've ever read or heard from subject matter experts.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    The standard is GRAVE bodily harm, that doesn't mean a black eye. It means crippling injury as far as I've ever read or heard from subject matter experts.
    Realistically this is a topic where people can and will argue back and forth until the end of time about.

While you are totally correct about what you've said above, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. While growing up I've been in more than my fair share of fights, and never did I worry about things escalating to anything more than just a fistfight. Fast forward 10+ years and nowadays you never know what will happen if someone attacks you. The likelihood of someone pulling a knife or a gun on you when they start losing a fight that they started by attacking you is just too great these days. And that’s if they even started the whole assault bare handed to begin with.

Being that everyone is built differently, and everyone has different levels of training (both hand to hand as well as with weapons), it really isn't fair to say what would constitute the right to deadly force for someone else.

Just my two cents.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

I wanted to post on this when the "all he did was punch you" comment was posted. I've found it difficult to articulate what I'd like to say on this subject. A good friend of mine is no longer with us because of a simple fistfight. He was knocked unconscious and fell on some pavement hands to his sides onto his skull. How can anyone even know how and when a punch can end in a serious injury? I say anyone tries to do you harm use any and all means to stop the threat.

5. Quote Originally Posted by buckslayer View Post
    Realistically this is a topic where people can and will argue back and forth until the end of time about.

While you are totally correct about what you've said above, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. While growing up I've been in more than my fair share of fights, and never did I worry about things escalating to anything more than just a fistfight. Fast forward 10+ years and nowadays you never know what will happen if someone attacks you. The likelihood of someone pulling a knife or a gun on you when they start losing a fight that they started by attacking you is just too great these days. And thatís if they even started the whole assault bare handed to begin with.

Being that everyone is built differently, and everyone has different levels of training (both hand to hand as well as with weapons), it really isn't fair to say what would constitute the right to deadly force for someone else.

Just my two cents.
    I agree completely. I'm just saying in my state I think the person would go through the system. I also admitted to not knowing the details, such as the age of the victim any disability, whether there was a history with the teen, etc. Not trying to arm-chair quarterback just saying I think its worth thinking about from our own morals, ethics, and values. Not passing judgement on the gentleman in any way, glad he is still alive and free.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

6. Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    The words in utahs code are "serious bodily injury" (my home state)...

Here are my feelings on the matter. If someone walked up to me and gave me a black eye, thats enough for me to think they intend "serious bodily injury"..... The point is, you dont know what the agressor intends to do next. You can stand there and hope that it stops at a black eye. Me, I'll take action to make SURE it does.

Quote Originally Posted by truckie011 View Post
    First I want to say I am not a lawyer. And I don't play one one t.v.
    But I did ask an Indiana prosecutor that I know, about this same question. And her response was (and I'm para-phrasing here) Once deadly force is determined to be justifiable. It is irrelevant whether you shoot 1 time or 10 times. But that said, when someone does use over kill they will take a real close look at the evidence. And it is know to happen, for someone in a personnel self defence situation, to keep shooting until the gun is empty.
    I know this may not the case everywhere.
    Gun Training Report #62 How to Get Charged with Murder...

For discusion sake check out this case. The store owner was charged with murder. I am not sure of the final or current disposition of the case BTW.

8. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Gun Training Report #62 How to Get Charged with Murder...

For discusion sake check out this case. The store owner was charged with murder. I am not sure of the final or current disposition of the case BTW.
    Looks like no ruling has been made, they're trying to have the trial judge removed from the case. If I were on the jury I'd likely find him guilty of 2nd degree murder, first is pushing it under the 'heat of the moment'...

Oklahoma City pharmacist loses legal motion to disqualify trial judge | NewsOK.com

Thanks for the update. I remembered that I had that training newsletter in my email inbox and thought it was relivant to the discusion.

Question has been raised about how many times the jogger shot which was 8. Read closely, he only hit him 4, 2 in the chest. Other 2 may not have slowed him down much at first. So night time, blindsided and the guy may not not have gone down quickly but kept moving. I say the jogger did what he felt like he had to at the time. Sadly someone died.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Kinda scary though to be honest. So a jogger shoots someone 8 times because he said that the kid punched him? I don't know if I back this one. A firearm is only one of the tools in a persons self defense tool chest. In my humble opinion it is not ok to kill someone for punching you. I'm sure that some will disagree however....

It doesn't matter how many shots were fired. The jogger has every right to defend himself. Just because he jogs,doesn't mean he is able to defend himself with his fists. We'll never know if the attacker would have continued assaulting him till he was dead or what.

After my forth back surgery,there is no way I would be able to defend myself against my wife,let alone a mugger. Muggers beware.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast