Good Conceal Carry Story! - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Good Conceal Carry Story!

Quote Originally Posted by retirednak View Post
    It doesn't matter how many shots were fired. The jogger has every right to defend himself. Just because he jogs,doesn't mean he is able to defend himself with his fists. We'll never know if the attacker would have continued assaulting him till he was dead or what.

After my forth back surgery,there is no way I would be able to defend myself against my wife,let alone a mugger. Muggers beware.
    And I doubt you would be out jogging after four back surgery's either!!!
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

3. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Gun Training Report #62 How to Get Charged with Murder...

For discusion sake check out this case. The store owner was charged with murder. I am not sure of the final or current disposition of the case BTW.
    Well, firing 10 rounds one after the other to end the thread is different than what happened in that case,

Pull the trigger till the threat stops, thats self defense.

where the store owner shot the kid, who went down immediately, the store owner ran after the other kid, came back, walked within a couple feet of the kid of the floor, which shows the kid obviously no longer posed a threat or he wouldn't have walked by so calmly, then either reloaded his gun or retrieved another gun, then walked back, stood over the kid, and fired 5 more rounds into him... Yea, thats murder.

Truth of the matter is we never know exactly how we will react until God forbid, we are put in that situation. I personally hope I never am and I pray that I never have to shoot someone. We all have and are entitled to opinions to what should have been done but again we were not the one being attacked, we do not know how vicious the attack was other than a punch in the face, and how fast it was progressing. Fact is the robbery should not have done what he did, the jogger did what "he thought" he had to do to protect himself and now there is a young man that is dead and a jogger that will have to deal with the fact that he killed someone, justified or not.

Dacaur, I agree with you. The threat was over and too much time lapsed for it to still be self defense. To reload or get another gun then go back and shoot 5 more times....yep that's wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    I'm all for people defending themselves, and not being charged. I am curious how this man was able to articulate he felt that grave bodily injury or death was immanent due to a punch in the face. Are FL's laws that strong? I don't know all the circumstances ages/size there could have been disparity of force issue. In my state I'm sure a person would be unjustly charged for this...
    There's definitely more to this story than meets the eye. There would have to be some serious mitigating circumstances. I'm guessing that Mr. Baker, the jogger, is quite possibly a senior citizen or he is very small and his attacker was very large. In Florida such things are taken into consideration. I'm very large and in good health....there's no way I could get away with shooting somebody just because they punched me and were attempting to rob me. Since the attack took place at night Mr. Baker could have said that he was completely suprised and acted out of reflex and instinct, not knowing how many attackers were upon him, etc.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Well, here is the story:
    I cruise right thru a stop sign and got pulled over by a cop the other
    day.... I got out and hand the police officer my driver's license, insurance card, and myconcealed carry permit.

(cop) "Okay, sir, the cop says, "I see your concealed weapon permit.
    Are you carrying today?" (they always ask that)

(me) "Yes, I am."

(cop) "Well then, better tell me what you got."

(me) I told him, "Well, I got a .45 Long Colt Taurus Judge revolver in my inside coat pocket. There are 2 Springfield .45 semi-automatics in the glove box with 12 round mags. also, I've got a .308 LCP strapped to my right ankle."

(cop) "Okay," the cop says. "Anything else?"

(me) "Yeah, in the back seat, there's an AR15 (with holographic sites) and a 100 round double feed magazine as well as a .410 gauge Coach Gun loaded with slugs. In the trunk of the car there is an AK47 with 40 round magazine, a 12 gauge tactical sawed-off shotgun loaded with "00" buckshot and oh yeah, my Thompson Sub Gun with a 100 Round Drum Magazine and three 30 round back-up magazines.

(me) I guess, That's about it."

(cop) "Sir, just out of curiosity, are you on your way to or from a gun range or hunting trip?"

(me) "Nope."

(cop) "Well then, what are you afraid of?"

(me) "Not a damn thing."

(I did not get stopped, but you get the idea?)
    Nice story, but its not cool to jump somebody elses thread on your first post

handgonnetoter Guest
    Well, looks like the 18 year old should have stayed home and minded his own business.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Gun Training Report #62 How to Get Charged with Murder...

For discussion sake check out this case. The store owner was charged with murder. I am not sure of the final or current disposition of the case BTW.
    I just watched the vids from that link. And sorry to say this is no where near the scenario, of shooting someone in self defense until the gun is empty.
    This shop owner clearly committed a murder. He got out the gun and walked up to the all ready wounded (not sure who originally shot him) punk and shot him five times in the stomach. So your comparing an apple to an orange on this one.
    AHH! Coffee the elixir of life!
    Coffee the elixir of life!

10. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I'm very large and in good health....there's no way I could get away with shooting somebody just because they punched me and were attempting to rob me.
    Dont be so sure. Robbery is a "forcable felony", You are justified in using deady force to prevent the commision of a forcable felony....

Florida code 776.012 Use of force in defense of person.--A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony

776.08 Forcible felony.--"Forcible felony" means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    Dont be so sure. Robbery is a "forcable felony", You are justified in using deady force to prevent the commision of a forcable felony....

Florida code 776.012 Use of force in defense of person.--A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony

776.08 Forcible felony.--"Forcible felony" means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.
    You're right to point out the robbery aspect but it's not "justified" until a judge (or jury, or DA's office, et.al.) says it is, and the first thing they'll look at is whether non-lethal force could have been used to effectively end the situation. Look at the original story - it says that the prosecutor decided that Mr. Baker won't be charged. "Decided" being the key word there. I can assure you that the size, gender, age, and physical condition of the individuals involved in such a case would be taken into account before deciding justification.

If some cracked-out 150lb homeless guy were to jump out of the bushes and start beating on me (260lbs) with his fists while demanding money, I would hardly be justified in shooting him, regardless of the letter of the law. Don't laugh...It's not so farfetched. In my line of work (bar/nightclub management) I've been in a number of situations where somebody much smaller than me has attacked me while they were under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast