What's The Most Popular Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber? - Page 7

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

Voters
1818. You may not vote on this poll

19 1.05%

18 0.99%

56 3.08%
  • .38 Special

98 5.39%

240 13.20%
  • .40 S&W

446 24.53%
  • .41 Magnum

2 0.11%
  • .45 ACP

423 23.27%
  • 9mm

727 39.99%
  • 10mm

16 0.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What's The Most Popular Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

Colt Gov't 380

I carry my 380 because it's slim and light enough for everyday carry In Sunny S. Fla. prefer my Sig 220 45 but it is hard to carry without imprinting.

3. .40 S&W Caliber is what I carry

I sometimes carry the 40 Glock (23). Most of the time i carry a .45 (Kimber). I guess the reason I carry the 45 most of the time is like the man said, "It's silly to have to shoot a person twice."

Kahr P45, compact and simple and still a 45!

9mm

My ruger SR9 isn't that hard to conceal for it's size. I like to be able to practice and I'm not rich; practicing with a 9mm cost a LOT less on ammo than practicing with a 45. Won't nock the 45 though, I'm sure it does the job real well.

I saw another thread where people were talking about whether or not to carry full mag +1 and go through the routine of loading the extra round in the chamber. I like my SR9 as I don't find myself worrying about that; with 17 round mags I think I'm good enough racking a full mag and heading out.

PS just issued my first CCP 2 days ago.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Don't be torn get both, G-27 and G-36 here, very close in size and can use the same holster
    One reason I stick with the G23 is the Glock .45 have wider slides. I have a G30sf but with the IWB holster it seems twice as wide as my G23. I stay away from the G36 because of # of rounds (And I believe the G36 slide width is the same as other Glock .45 ? )

A few days ago on the Outdoor Channel here in Cincinnati there was a Best Defense Section on with Michael Bane.

Blane made the statement that if you wanted to start a healthy discussion about what the best handgun cartridge for self defense is think about the 9mm, 40cal and 45 cal.

Blane suggested that the 9mm is best due to less recoil and better recovery for multiple shots. I happen to agree.

Any Comments

thanks

Pat Olvey
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County
    email [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon View Post
    My ruger SR9 isn't that hard to conceal for it's size. I like to be able to practice and I'm not rich; practicing with a 9mm cost a LOT less on ammo than practicing with a 45. Won't nock the 45 though, I'm sure it does the job real well.

I saw another thread where people were talking about whether or not to carry full mag +1 and go through the routine of loading the extra round in the chamber. I like my SR9 as I don't find myself worrying about that; with 17 round mags I think I'm good enough racking a full mag and heading out.

PS just issued my first CCP 2 days ago.
    In my humble opinion, never fill the magazine to its capacity. Over time there is a danger of the spring becoming deformed and the cartridges feeding can fail.

One commercial link for this is AR-15 / M16 Magazine FAQ
    Notes on Practical Use:

"The 20 round capacity magazines for the AR-15 should never be loaded with
    more than 18 rounds. (They have a tendency to jam, otherwise.) The 30s,
    however, can be loaded with a full 30 rounds."

I have always assumed that this was applicable to handgun magazines also.

Any thoughts?

Pat Olvey
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County
    email [email protected]
    Last edited by ohio pat; 03-25-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ohio pat View Post
    Blane suggested that the 9mm is best due to less recoil and better recovery for multiple shots. I happen to agree.
    Any Comments
    Pat Olvey
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Yes, a 9mm does give you the ability to recover quickly for multiple shots. That's convenient, because you are going to need them. A 9mm, like a .38, can go right through a person, along with the additional potential stopping power that was not transferred to the assailant.

This is exactly why the 45 was created in the first place. I recommend that you handle the largest caliber you can safely and accurately use. I trained with the 1911 .45ACP with Uncle Sam, and at 6'4 I can handle the round just fine. To me a 38/9mm is closer to a .22. However if a 9mm is all you can handle and the recoil of anything else is too great for you, then you found your round.

Quote Originally Posted by ohio pat View Post
    My April May 2011 issue of guns and ammo came today.

I found what is probably the best article on Stopping Power written by Dave Spauling.

The top stopping power choices begin with a 38 special and goes up to the 45acp.

The closing remark in the article is "The secret to handgun stopping power remains where you shoot your oponent and how many times you shoot them."

The article is good reading and promotes the fact that in order for shots to take effect they must strike a vital body location.

Pat Olvey
    email [email protected]
    or
    [email protected]
    Yup.

I've never read anything on the subject of stopping power that didn't start by saying shot placement was the most important factor in stopping an assailant with a handgun.

I tried all the calibers that shoot in a semi-auto and find I shoot 9mm the best. My test was to shoot the IDPA classification match with each caliber. My scores were significantly better with 9mm than either .40 or .45.

I shot best with 9mm, second best with .45, and slightly worse with .40 than .45. I "want" to carry a .40, but I just plain don't shoot it as well and there is no getting around that. So my carry guns are a G19, G26, and maybe the new LC9 after I've had a chance to work with it.

I didn't mess with .357SIG, which is a good cartridge, because I didn't like the brass (I reload).

I still want to buy a Glock 30 to go with my 19 and 26, but there is no rush. I just want to have a .45 ... because ... well just because. But I probably won't carry it unless practice radically improves my score with it.

There are a bunch of choices for 9mm defense ammo now that are excellent. My 19 and 26 are loaded with COR-BON DPX, but there are others just as good.

My last resort carry, for those times when nothing else will conceal, the LCP, is loaded with Hornady FTX.

Fitch

Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast