What's The Most Popular Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber? - Page 8

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

Voters
1821. You may not vote on this poll

19 1.04%

18 0.99%

56 3.08%
  • .38 Special

98 5.38%

240 13.18%
  • .40 S&W

446 24.49%
  • .41 Magnum

2 0.11%
  • .45 ACP

424 23.28%
  • 9mm

729 40.03%
  • 10mm

16 0.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What's The Most Popular Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by ohio pat View Post
    In my humble opinion, never fill the magazine to its capacity. Over time there is a danger of the spring becoming deformed and the cartridges feeding can fail.
    The springs in my mags were EXTREMELY stiff when I first bought my gun; I had a hard time getting the last 2 cartridges in. I read on forums (regarding my gun in particular) to fill the mags and leave them that way for a while to loosten them up. I haven't had any feeding failures yet at all (it's still pretty new though). I usually fill the mag then rack to put on in the chamber so technically my mag isn't full to capacity after that.

I would tend to agree with the magazine you mentioned regarding calibers and amazingly enough our poll does too.

Quote Originally Posted by winnre View Post
    Yes, a 9mm does give you the ability to recover quickly for multiple shots. That's convenient, because you are going to need them. A 9mm, like a .38, can go right through a person, along with the additional potential stopping power that was not transferred to the assailant.

This is exactly why the 45 was created in the first place. I recommend that you handle the largest caliber you can safely and accurately use. I trained with the 1911 .45ACP with Uncle Sam, and at 6'4 I can handle the round just fine. To me a 38/9mm is closer to a .22. However if a 9mm is all you can handle and the recoil of anything else is too great for you, then you found your round.
    I commented earlier that my choice is the Taurus .357, but winnre makes what I think is the excellent point that the gun of your choice must be one you can handle, while also being adequate to stop an assault. If your gun fails to meet either of these criteria, you've got a problem.

I'm old school, preferring the revolver to semi's due in large part to its simplicity.. no worry about a cartridge jamming on ejection, etc. I just feel if I can't stop an attack with 7 rounds of .357, I may need to practice more at the range before carrying. For that reason too, having a really full hi-capacity magazine isn't on my short list, cause if my first shot (maybe second) are misses, the next 15 or 20 may never get used anyway!

Fitch, do you use your reloads for practice only or for carry as well?

Falcon, How often do you find you have to unload your magazines and let the springs relax to stay happy?

In the Dec 2010/Jan 2011 issue of Handguns Magazine ther is an article about the stopping power of 38 special +p rounds fired from a snub nose Smith and Wesson Model 640.

Here is the internet link to the article http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/3...mmo%20Test.htm

For those of us who carry a J Frame Smith the penetration figures look pretty good.

Penetration/Expansion Results

Load:
    Average Expansion (in.):
    Average Penetration (in.):

Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P
    0.580 x 0.565 x 0.479 tall
    8 1/2

Speer 135-gr. Gold Dot +P
    0.531 x 0.549 x 0.459 tall
    7 1/2

Corbon 110-gr. DPX +P
    0.522 x 0.524 x 0.502 tall

At the end of the article the author, Bob Pilgrim, makes the comment, all of the ammuntion testes should be adequate, but placement is the key.

Pat Olvey
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton, County
    email [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by winnre View Post
    Fitch, do you use your reloads for practice only or for carry as well?
    Reloads (115g Berrys Plated Round Nose bullets pushed to 1,150 fps out of the G19 by HS6) for practice only (~1,000 rounds a month when the weathers warm enough to go outside and shoot).

For carry and HD the G19, G26, and LC9 are loaded with COR-BON DPX. The LCP with Hornady FTX.

Fitch

Talking Glock

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    LC9 are loaded with COR-BON DPX. The LCP with Hornady FTX.
    Lose those sissy pistols and get yourself some more Glocks.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Now, now, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Just wondering if my .357 firing Fiochetti (720 ft/lbs energy and 1500 fps) is big enough, or should I order a Howitzer? LOL

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coachdb18 View Post
    Just wondering if my .357 firing Fiochetti (720 ft/lbs energy and 1500 fps) is big enough, or should I order a Howitzer? LOL
    Your 357 will probably do, but I might consider a 100 rd drum if you can figure out how to attach it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    Your 357 will probably do, but I might consider a 100 rd drum if you can figure out how to attach it.
    Well, I guess I could put that on it, but I'll probably have to remove the custom hand crank on the side that turns it into a Gattling gun ... decisions, decisions!!!

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast