Difference in Concealed Carry Permit Range Requirements by State
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference in Concealed Carry Permit Range Requirements by State

1. Difference in Concealed Carry Permit Range Requirements by State

I am getting ready to take my CCDW class in a couple of weeks. In Ky., the range requirement appears to be 11 out of 20 anywhere on a full silhouette target at 7 yds.

I was wondering how this compares to other states?

In New Mexico, 15 @ 3yards and 10 @ 7 yards. The target is 12"X18" and you have to score 72 or higher. Each shot is worth 4 points. If you can't score in the 90's, you shouldn't pass IMO!!

In NY no range time required. I guess it's a case of can you pay enough money, wait enough time, and pass enough background checks and have a 2A judge in your county...etc.. no proof of firearams ability required... I had to pay for a "pistol course" 30 bucks to have a local chief of police explain with visual aids the difference between a pistol and a revolver...Never touched on the laws of CCW or pistol ownership in general in NY. I still want my money back

Michigan - 70% to pass; various distances (principally 7 yds); 8 1/2 X 11" target hit anywhere. 100 rds was required in the course I took but I don't know what state law actually requires.
    I'm with brcombs, it should be 90% to pass.
    We also allow people to qualify using a .22, which of course is a non real world self defence round. IMO one should have to qualify with a firearm that has a bit of recoil so that candidates have some idea what a genuine self defence weapon actually feels like when fired.
    I'm as big of a 2A supporter as there is out here but I'd certainly make the qualifications more difficult in order to create a safer and more knowledgeable concealed carrier.
    My .02...
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

6. New Hampshire

No training or range requirements at all. Open carry (except in a vehicle) without a permit.

Indiana: no requirements either range or law. Only need to pay your fees, pass a city or county background, then pass the state background. Doesn't even require a picture, just fingerprints...
    N38° 19' 56.52" W85° 45' 8.56"
    Semper Gumby
    Ethics are what we do when no one else is looking.

8. Re: Range Requirements

In PA there is NO requirement for training. I personnaly feel there should be one though. In Philadelphia there is a gun store right across the street from where you get you LTCF, the worst thing about it is that a few years back that store topped the FBI's list of stores in this area for "bulk purchases" and weapons sold that were used in crimes. I think the ONLY reason he was not shut down was because he knows the "right" people(politicians) and LE.

No range requirements in VA. Just as it should be!
    Exercising my right to own and arm bears

In South Carolina it's 10rnds each at 3,5,7,10,15yards for a total of 50 and are done with some slow and some rapid fire. Not sure what's needed to pass, I got 100 and the wife a 97. Was fairly easy.

11. Arkansas it,s safety not accuracy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast