Best safety course for Massachusetts, Utah, Florida CCW? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best safety course for Massachusetts, Utah, Florida CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by donb View Post
    A couple of years ago I took MA LTC and NRA courses, then the UT CCW course from same instructor. Using reciprocity map on this website, I thought I knew what states I could and could not carry in. I am confused reading this thread about using NRA certificate in states like CT and ME which, as far as I know, don't have reciprocity with MA or UT; how does that work? And, I also thought that FL and NH did not issue non-resident licenses.

I know I will get to bottom of this with your help! Thanks.

Don
    Most states will accept the NRA Basic certificate as proof of proficiency. When you send the application you are only sending a copy of the certificate. You can make as many copies as needed.

CT does not honor any other state permits. So if you live up that way it would pay to get the CT permit. Easily done thru the mail.

Many people obtain the FL and AZ permits due to the large number of states that they are reciprocal with. Both can be obtained thru the mail.

Maine has very limited reciprocity so again if you live up that way, it may pay to get it. Can also be obtained thru the mail.

NH can also be obtained thru the mail. However, since they raised their non-resident fee from $20 to $100, some folks are letting that one lapse.

3. Sorry for the confusion donb

What I meant was that both ME and CT require completion of the NRA course as part of their CCW application process.

If you wanted to get permits in those states, the NRA course that Dennis gives could be used for them. Note that this is separate from the Utah CCW course.

NH issues non-resident permits. They are $100 for 4 years.

Where you might be getting confused is that for those states where NH has reciprocity, that reciprocity is only for resident permits. The Utah non-res permit would not be accepted in NH even though NH recognizes Utah resident permits.

I'm pretty sure that FL has non-res permits, but I'm not sure of the details

thank you mrjam...

5. Quote Originally Posted by RA59 View Post
    What I meant was that both ME and CT require completion of the NRA course as part of their CCW application process.

I'm pretty sure that FL has non-res permits, but I'm not sure of the details
    Just want to clarify, CT does not have a CCW Permit, the permit allows you to carry openly or concealed, your choice.

Florida does issue non resident CCW permits through the Dept of Agriculture, you can have a packet sent to you and apply through the mail. Fee is $117 for 7 years and if you compare the Utah and Florida non resident permit you will see they both cover all the same states except that Utah adds Minnesota, as Florida accepts the NRA Basic Pistol Class for training I still do not see why anyone would bother chasing down a Utah class up in New England unless you visit MN. Florida is easier and cheaper and you probably already have the certifications you need to apply.

For the OP, remind your friends in Mass and NY that although they can apply for and get a Florida permit that they are going to have to get a Mass or NY permit as well because Federal Law prohibits you from purchasing a handgun outside the state in which you reside. I am not 100% sure of NY but I know in Mass you have to at least get a permit to purchase, I believe the call it a Firearms Identificate Card or FID.

Thumbs up Ma. LTC/FID and UTAH combo class.

I give both classes, go to Mark Shean: Ma.LTC/FID for details. I am an NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor and a certified Utah Instructor, and I travel*.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12